How can I get IntelliSense information for the .NET types?

PhysikbuddhaPhysikbuddha ✭✭DEMember ✭✭

I'm using Visual Studio 2013 with Xamarin.Android to build some mobile app. Unfortunately, IntelliSense is not showing any information for all types from the underlying .NET framework. It shows "To be added." for all of them. This is very obstructive as I have to keep two instances of VS open, just to get the IntelliSense information from a normal C# project.

Example (Android project):

Example (C# WPF project):

Maybe the VS localization could be the issue for this?
How can I fix this problem?

• VictorGarciaAprea.9996VictorGarciaAprea.9996 Xamurai USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited July 2015

Hi Robert, while we don't support non-english SKU of Visual Studio and we don't localize our product, what you are getting is weird.

@Xamarin-Ian do we have a non-english VM setup we can play with to check if this is an easy fix?

thanks,

• jfichtnerjfichtner ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

I'm having this same issue, and I'm using English. My colleague also has the issue. Any idea what could be happening?

• MagnusAndersenMagnusAndersen USMember

Seconded.

• AnthonyStivers.8297AnthonyStivers.8297 ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

Also having this issue and I'm using English localization, with an English operating system. My primary language is English, I live in the USA, and my OS is the USA version of Windows 10. So I really shouldn't be having any issues with localization. Attached is a screenshot of IntelliSense for System.IO.BinaryReader.

• AnthonyStivers.8297AnthonyStivers.8297 ✭✭ USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2016

Edit: This didn't actually fix the problem. I now have XML doc comments for .net 4.5.2 projects (such as a winforms project). But my Xamarin.Android project still doesn't show XML Doc Comments.

The problem is that you are missing Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Multi-Targeting Pack (ENU). You have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Multi-Targeting Pack, but not the (ENU) package. Install the package from the link below, and it should solve the problem. This isn't actually a Xamarin issue, but a VS/.NET issue. In my case, the xml doc files were only missing for the .NET 4.5.2 package. All the other .NET versions had the XML docs.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42637

• I also have the same problem with Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 10.
    Primary language: English (US), System Language: English (US)
    Any solutions please?

• Nick.LNick.L USMember
    edited October 2016

Same problem here too. I'm running VS 2015 on Windows 10 (all English) and the .NET types don't have any documentation comments that show up with intellisense. Not even primitive types like int or string show any comments. Instead it just shows "To be added". This can be very frustrating at times when I'm working with classes I'm not familiar with because I have to look up all the methods, arguments, and fields to see what they do. However, doc comments show up just fine when using types from the Android and iOS libraries.

• __init____init__ CAMember

Same problem here. VS2017, Windows 10, English localization.

• GrzegorzJGrzegorzJ PLMember
    edited December 2017

Hello guys,

I am experiencing same problem having android project. Going through references I get additional info for investigation :) All .net types are missing documentation (summary etc.). I was reinstalling Visual Studio but that did not help.
    Going to installation path of monoandroid all .xml files which are for documentation have descriptions/remarks/summaries also as "to be added". Screens below.

htt ps://us.v-cdn.net/5019960/uploads/editor/te/bjhymiurtv7g.png
    htt ps://us.v-cdn.net/5019960/uploads/editor/hz/3zovcfjabzz5.png
    (I can't add links because I think it's one of my firsts posts here :) - space for break)