When will a candidate fix in Xamarin for Visual Studio 4.0.1.146 be included in latest release?

davidm.123davidm.123 USUniversity ✭✭

I recently upgraded my PC and Mac to have the latest stable Xamarin components on them. I believe this is Cycle 6 Service Release 3.

I could compile iOS project but when I started the app in debug mode I received the following error.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Debugger.AD7DebugExceptionEvent..ctor(Thread thread, String description) in C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\3062\0dd817c0\source\XamarinVS\src\Core\VisualStudio\Debugging\MonoTools.Engine\AD7Events.cs:line 433
   at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Debugger.ExceptionsAdapter.OnExceptionThrown(Object sender, TargetEventArgs args) in C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\3062\0dd817c0\source\XamarinVS\src\Core\VisualStudio\Debugging\MonoTools.Engine\ExceptionsAdapter.cs:line 42
   at Mono.Debugging.Client.DebuggerSession.OnTargetEvent(TargetEventArgs args)
   at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.HandleBreakEventSet(Event[] es, Boolean dequeuing)
   at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.HandleEventSet(EventSet es)
   at Mono.Debugging.Soft.SoftDebuggerSession.EventHandler()

The app didn't crash but it looks like my debugger wasn't connected to the app process anymore.

After some googling, I found Bug 39433(https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=39433). As it suggested, I installed the Xamarin for Visual Studio candidate fix (http://xvs.xamarin.com/patcheddrops/Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.1.146.msi). I also had to downgrade the Xamarin components on my mac to Cycle 6 Service Release 2 in order for VS to connect properly.

After all is said and done, the candidate fix works, but I'm no longer running the latest Xamarin because it appears that the latest Xamarin for Visual Studio (4.0.3.214) does not contain the candidate fix.

Does anyone know if this will be included in the next release? I'd really like to know whether upgrading Xamarin at that time is going to break things. Again.

Thanks,
David

Best Answer

Answers