Import XCode StoryBoard

So I am having significant challenges with iOS designed in Visual Studio and have posted several questions to the forums about that. As a possible work around is it possible to import a storyboard created in XCode to my Xamarion iOS project in Visual Studio. I really don't like XCode but I have to say so far that the Xamarin designed is even worse. In information on if and how this can be done would be appreciated.

Answers

• rob8861rob8861 USMember ✭✭

I am actually facing the same issue. The xamarin ios designer in Visual Studio is horrible. Xcode is way better
    were you able to figure it out?

• GeorgeMCeaserJrGeorgeMCeaserJr USMember ✭✭

Sorry -- no one from Xamarin ever got back to me or responded to this posting.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited April 2016

You can open and edit Interface Builder documents in Xcode Interface Builder using Xamarin Studio on Mac: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/user_interface/controls/part_1_-_creating_user_interface_objects/#Using_Xcode_Interface_Builder

As mentioned in that document under the term "Xib Code Generation", Xamarin Studio does some work to synchronize the Xamarin project with a temporary Xcode project so that Xamarin will have access to the elements defined in the Interface Builder documents.

Once you've saved the documents in your project on the Mac, you can continue to use them on Windows in Visual Studio.

See also:

• rob8861rob8861 USMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski
    Thanks for the reply. However, I was actually able to create a new storyboard file in Xcode, did all the heavy lifting there and then copied it back to Visual Studio without ever needing to launch Xamarin Studio. When I opened it in VS, everything sync'ed fine.

Did it work? yes it did! is it an efficient workflow? absolutely not!

I've been following all the announcements from Evolve 2016 , and although you guys are releasing tons of new content in the alpha channel, I have not seen any news about an improved iOS designer , for either VS or XS. Can you possibly comment on whether there is active development to improve the designer in VS

Thanks,

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Please do file bug reports and enhancement requests against the iOS designer. Reports against the designer are actively triaged and investigated by the engineering team.

For larger feature requests, please submit ideas on https://xamarin.uservoice.com/.

See also: