Switching from Xamarin Studio to Visual Studio. How to get started?

My code developed in Xamarin Studio stopped working today. That includes all previous versions of it which were working fine.
From what I've read online after investigating, Xamarin Studio is being discontinued and we have to use Visual Studio to develop Xamarin code now. Is there a guide somewhere on how to open up a Xamarin Studio project in Visual Studio and develop it? I opened up my Xamarin Studio project in VS and tried to run it and I got an error message that said basically "you can't do that, that's a portable class library not an executable". OK so what do I do? In Xamarin studio I could press the debug button and run my code in the emulator. What do I do now?

The Xamarin folks really should have anticipated this and provided some guidance on this beforehand. I'm not very happy about this.

Answers

• GeraldVersluisGeraldVersluis NLUniversity ✭✭✭✭

It should just work.
    Solutions are exchangeable. For the rest you just have to get to used to Visual Studio. It will come over time and is not that hard.
    Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio are very similar.

The error message you get is one you could have gotten in Xamarin Studio as well. Just check your Solution Explorer and you will see that your shared project is in bold. This means that it is set as the startup project. Because it is a DLL, you cannot start it.

Right-click the iOS or Droid project, or any other runnable project and click the 'Set as startup project' option. Then you can run just fine!

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Thomas, it sounds like you selected a PCL as a startup project? You need to select your iOS core primary project as the start target.

• John,
    Gerald,
    Thanks. That was it. Along with a couple of settings to make the emulator come up.
    Much happier!