Xamarin Forms Marshmallow Permissions

DragosBarbuDragosBarbu DKUniversity ✭✭

Hi,
I am trying to ask for location permission on Android 6 through the DependencyService. My problem is that I do not know how to handle the callback of the ActivityCompat.RequestPermissions (activity, permissionGroup, permissionRequestID);

I tried to follow this and this but since I do not have a class for the activity I can not use OnRequestPermissionsResult. A solution I tried was to extend the activity object at runtime but using ActivityCompat.IOnRequestPermissionsResultCallback says there is no override for OnRequestPermissionsResult

Best Answer

Answers

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I think @JamesMontemagno has solved the problem for you. Take a look and let me know what f it's not useful

https://github.com/jamesmontemagno/Xamarin.Plugins/blob/master/Permissions/README.md

• DragosBarbuDragosBarbu DKUniversity ✭✭

It doesn't solve the issue. I still get "marked as an override but no suitable method found to override" when using this:
    public override void OnRequestPermissionsResult(int requestCode, string[] permissions, Permission[] grantResults)

I am using Xlabs, so my code looks like this:
    public class MainActivity : XFormsApplicationDroid,ActivityCompat.IOnRequestPermissionsResultCallback

I looked into the IOnRequestPermissionsResultCallback interface and I can see the method, so I am thinking something is wrong with Xamarin Studio. I have tried both writing override then look into the list and copy pasting, none worked.

Ok so I managed to make it work. It was an attention error, since I use an interface I do not have to override the method, just to implement it. After modifying the class to extend FormsAppCompatActivity and back, I realised my error. Thanks for setting me on the right track :wink:

• 15mgm1515mgm15 USMember ✭✭✭✭

Like @AlessandroCaliaro said Jame montemagno has a great nugget package to handle Android 6.0 permissions, easy and quick solution.

• RaphaelChiorlinRanieriRaphaelChiorlinRanieri BRMember ✭✭✭

Hey... Im using James plugin to request permissions in Marshmallow... But I'm having this exactly same problem...
    I cant override the method:

public override void OnRequestPermissionsResult(int requestCode, string[] permissions, Permission[] grantResults)
            {
                PermissionsImplementation.Current.OnRequestPermissionsResult(requestCode, permissions, grantResults);
            }

Because it seems to not exist... I receive the no suitable method warning...

I use FormsApplicationActivity, because I cant use the AppCompat one, because I dont use a AppCompat Theme.

Is there any way to override it without AppCompat?

• RaphaelChiorlinRanieriRaphaelChiorlinRanieri BRMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

@DragosBarbu Did you just implemented this method on your interface?

Sorry for late response,

My class header looks like this:

public class MainActivity : XFormsApplicationDroid,ActivityCompat.IOnRequestPermissionsResultCallback

So yes, I implemented the method from this interface, thus no override was needed

• @DragosBarbu said:
    It doesn't solve the issue. I still get "marked as an override but no suitable method found to override" when using this:

Make sure that you compile using Android version 6.0

• Felipe.0183Felipe.0183 USMember

Make sure you have Marshmallow in your aplicaction Target Framework.
    Options->General

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, now I have the same problem. I can not override OnRequestPermissionsResult. Which is the correct solution?
    Do I have to use FormsAppCompatActivity?
    @JamesMontemagno can you help me, thanks...

• try to add this:

using Permission = Android.Content.PM.Permission;

• CarlosCMCarlosCM USMember ✭✭

I'm facing the same problem (using @JamesMontemagno lib also). Any more info about this?

Thanks!

• AdamCardenasAdamCardenas USMember
    edited November 2017

The following seems to build, still have to run to test if it fires correctly.

public class MainActivity : global::Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.FormsAppCompatActivity, ActivityCompat.IOnRequestPermissionsResultCallback
            {

protected override void OnCreate(Bundle bundle)
                {
                    TabLayoutResource = Resource.Layout.Tabbar;
                    ToolbarResource = Resource.Layout.Toolbar;

base.OnCreate(bundle);

global::Xamarin.Forms.Forms.Init(this, bundle);

LoadApplication(new App());
                }

public override void OnRequestPermissionsResult(int requestCode, string[] permissions, [GeneratedEnum] Permission[] grantResults) { 
                }

}