Forum Xamarin.Forms

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Android app GUI

Hi guys! I am totally newbie about Xamarin. Yesterday was my first contact using Visual Studio + Xamarin
I have some doubts.

1. When you create an new project in visual studio , you get a project for each platform (Android/ Windows Phone/ IOS / ..)
    If i want to build an app only for Android , can i delete other projects?

2. Looking for Windows Phone, we have xaml files and we can drag and drop controls like : buttons
    For Android is the same thing with AXML? There's a way to drag and drop for Android project?
    I must to edit one Layout file for each platform?

In advance , thanks And sorry if is not the correct forum to ask this question.

Best Answer

• AdamMeaneyAdamMeaney USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

If you are looking to work in Android, without using the cross platform ui framework Xamarin Forms, then you do not need the other projects.

There is a Forum specifically for Xamarin Android that will be able to help with Android specific issues.

As for a visual editor, usually on Android I don't recommend it, as the editor seems to always use weird margins and paddings instead of the layout relations I would choose. I found I mostly edited the AXML by hand.

But if you want to use one, and Xamarin hasn't provided one yet (disclaimer: I haven't looked at AXML in a while), you could always download Android Studio, the native editor. It provides the ability to edit those files, and the same code usually works for the C# applications.

Answers

• AdamMeaneyAdamMeaney USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

If you are looking to work in Android, without using the cross platform ui framework Xamarin Forms, then you do not need the other projects.

There is a Forum specifically for Xamarin Android that will be able to help with Android specific issues.

As for a visual editor, usually on Android I don't recommend it, as the editor seems to always use weird margins and paddings instead of the layout relations I would choose. I found I mostly edited the AXML by hand.

But if you want to use one, and Xamarin hasn't provided one yet (disclaimer: I haven't looked at AXML in a while), you could always download Android Studio, the native editor. It provides the ability to edit those files, and the same code usually works for the C# applications.

• LeodevmouraLeodevmoura BRMember
    edited April 2016

Thank you so much!