Forum Visual Studio

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Xamarin Studio 5.10.3 is not starting up

After the last update my xamarin studio is not starting up. A complete uninstall and reinstall did not help. The log file seems to be clear (see attached file).
There is a XamarinStusio.exe *32 process running and consuming one core of my CPU, but no GUI is comming up. My OS is Windows 7 Professional 64bit. In the windows event log are no relevant or by the start time correlated entries.
Any ideas or hints where to get further information or to solve the problem?
Thanks in advance!

Answers

  • FrankJaguschFrankJagusch DEMember

    Hi Xamarin professionals, the problem ist still present on my system. I can't use my installation. Is my subscription lost in this way?
    Is there no one having any idea? Do I have to reinstall my comlete windows OS? Can I provide any further usefull information to analyse the problem? The XamarinStudio.exe process is using constant 10700 KByte of memory and one CPU core (13% of 8 cores total). I left it running for more than 30 Minuts without any change...
    Please, try to help me!

  • mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

    The IDE log does not really show what is hanging. If there is nothing in the Windows event log either then it is not obvious what is causing the hang. On Windows a crash dump might show us where the hang is happening. You can do that using task manager, right clicking the process and selecting Create dump file.

    You could also try uninstalling GTK# and installing it again using this download to see if that makes any difference.

    The other alternative would be to downgrade to the version of Xamarin Studio that you had working. You can download older versions from your account page

  • FrankJaguschFrankJagusch DEMember

    Thanks Matt for your reply.
    Meanwhile I did not solve the problem, but I found a workaround by pure try and error. Finally the renaming of the C:\Users\\AppData\Local\XamarinStudio-5.0 made my installation starting again. The folder was of course recreated and contains now 106 MBytes. The old one contains 866 MBytes and has grown during about 3 years.
    I kept the old folder, so I can reproduce the problem. I created a dump file as you described. It contains approximately 151 MBytes. If you are interested in - tell me how I can send you the dump and/or parts or the complete local appdata folder for further investigations.
    The reinstallation of the GTK# was indeed my first try of "repair", than I tried a complete uninstall of GTK# and all Xamarin components and a "clean" fresh installation. But the uninstall seems to leave the local appdata folder untouched.
    I won't mark my question as answered, because the reason of the problem isn't discovered yet. On the other hand I want not spent much more time with the analyse of the problem. I already lost 3 days for my project....

Sign In or Register to comment.