Forum Xamarin.iOS

How to open YouTube link in YouTube app with 'Back to APPLICATION NAME' arrow ?

PreranaPPreranaP USUniversity

Hello All,

I am trying to open an YouTube video from iOS application, using the code below :

UIApplication.SharedApplication.OpenUrl (new NSUrl ("YouTubeLink"));

It opens the video in YouTube app installed or in Safari if its not preinstalled. Now the issue is when its opening YouTube/Safari app there is no way to go back to my iOS application(prior to iOS 9). In iOS 9, I noticed it maintaining a link which allows users to go back to the application where the call was initiated. Following is the screenshot :

Is there any way I can implement the same thing prior to iOS 9 i.e iOS 8 and iOS 7? Any configurations or settings?

Thanks a ton in advance!

-Prerana

Best Answer

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Apple introduced that feature in iOS 9. There is no backwards compatibility with iOS 8 and below.

Answers

• GeraldVersluisGeraldVersluis NLUniversity ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

For iOS it should be youtube://watch?v=<video id> without the < and > characters

• PreranaPPreranaP USUniversity

@GeraldVersluis , thanks for the response. I used it the way you suggested but in this (youtube://watch?v=) case if the phone doesn't have the Youtube app installed it won't fallback on Safari whereas if I use (https://www.youtube.com//watch?v=) it will fallback on Safari. The main concern still being going back to my iOS app :(

As far as I know, from iOS 9 if an app opens any other app by a link (web or deep link) the 'Back to ...' button should be visible!

Exactly its visible in iOS 9 but not in iOS 8/ iOS 7, is there any workaround for previous iOS versions or any other way I should implement it apart from opening it in YouTube/Safari app ?

• rmaciasrmacias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Apple introduced that feature in iOS 9. There is no backwards compatibility with iOS 8 and below.

@PreranaP said:
    Exactly its visible in iOS 9 but not in iOS 8/ iOS 7, is there any workaround for previous iOS versions or any other way I should implement it apart from opening it in YouTube/Safari app ?

Ah now I understand your question, unfortunately as @rmacias points out, there is no way to enable this functionality in older versions.

Hmmm, so that leaves me with no other option but to embed the video inside the app in web view using iframe. Thanks a ton @GeraldVersluis , @rmacias for the response :) Have a great day! Happy coding :)