Tag "provider" attribute authorities has invalid character '$'

VictorHGarciaVictorHGarcia USUniversity ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Xamarin.Android

Hello friends,

After upgrade to Xamarin 4 and also the Google Play services to v27 with AppCompat and all related. When compiling the Android version I get this error:

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets: Error: Tool exited with code: 1. Output: /Users/demo/projectcrm.Android/obj/Debug/resourcecache/053893A3E164BC46F1518CFC64246007/AndroidManifest.xml:28: Tag <provider> attribute authorities has invalid character '$'.
(projectcrm.Android)

Find attached the AndroidManifest file content.

Any idea why this could be happening?

Thanks in advance

• I get this error too. Any updates?

• ZARkZARk BEMember ✭✭
    edited February 2016

I've narrowed down the issue to an update in Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.Measurement

basically it adds in the manifest this line
    <provider android:authorities="${applicationId}.google_measurement_service" android:exported="false" android:name="com.google.android.gms.measurement.AppMeasurementContentProvider" />

basically there's a new var "${applicationId}" that should get replaced with our applicationID , so, where do we define that variable ???

in "plain android" : https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=193567

• VictorHGarciaVictorHGarcia USUniversity ✭✭

I was able to solve the issue. I had the package Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.Measurement, so I removed it and it started to compile just fine, for some reason this package was added mistakenly due we do not need it.

• vsg24vsg24 TRMember ✭✭

I don't know why Xamarin is ignoring this while most newer versions of GPS packages have a dependency on this ********* Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.Measurement!!!!

Some people were able to fix it by adding a piece of code to gradle:

android {
        defaultConfig.applicationId = "my.package.id"
    }

But guess what... we don't use Gradle in Xamarin so we are left we no choice! Do something NOW.

The bests I could do to fix my problem with that package was to rollback to version 27.0.0 of GCM package that doesn't depend on Measurement.

• How you rolled back to earlier version of GCM. I'm also stuck in this issue.... I downloaded the GCM from nuget package manager and now the current version is 29.0.0.1 and it is creating the same problem which you solved by downgrading.

• dcc-mobiledcc-mobile BEMember ✭✭

Any luck / solution on this one ? We did an upgrade on the GCM package (v29) which now depends on the Measurement package, causing this weird build error.

• BjarkeBjarke USMember ✭✭

Having the same issue with the newest version. Did it work properly doing a rollback to version 27?

• islamabdelhadyislamabdelhady USMember

Warning The 'menu' element is not declared.