Welcome to Xamarin.Mac

JosephHillJosephHill USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited December 2012 in Xamarin.Mac

Hey everyone,

We're extremely excited this morning to announce Xamarin.Mac - our new product that allows developers to build fully-native Cocoa applications for Mac OS X with C#.

Xamarin.Mac exposes native platform APIs, making it possible for developers to build sophisticated apps that conform with platform conventions and leverage the rich spectrum of platform-specific functionality that make Mac apps so beautiful and distinctive.

Unlike other cross-platform development toolkits that target OS X, Xamarin.Mac gives you the flexibility to build anything that you can build with a conventional Objective-C-based Cocoa application—from compelling CoreAnimation-enabled user interfaces to custom menubar items. Under the hood, you can choose the combination of .NET library functionality and native Mac OS X APIs that works best for your application.

Xamarin.Mac is based on the MonoMac project and extends that project with the following features:

• Support for more OS X APIs
  • Commercial license to redistribute your apps on the Mac app store
  • Ability to get help building Mac apps through Xamarin’s support channels and the Xamarin Forums
  • Dedicated full time engineering to support and develop it

We’ve made it easy for you to get started: download the free Xamarin.Mac trial, browse over 40 sample apps, and check-out our Hello, Mac tutorial. If you want a little company, head over to the Xamarin Forums or contact us at [email protected]. For a complete list of developer resources, visit the Xamarin.Mac developer center.

Our mission is to make it fast, easy and fun for our 200,000+ developer community to build apps for all major device platforms. We are constantly awed by the innovation and creativity of Xamarin developers targeting iOS and Android, and we look forward to seeing what you will create for Mac.

Read the full Xamarin.Mac launch announcement.

• JonathanPeppersJonathanPeppers USInsider, Beta, University ✭✭

Is there any documentation for transitioning an existing MonoMac application to Xamarin.Mac?

Or is it as simple as referencing a new MonoMac.dll?

• macintoshsaucemacintoshsauce USMember
    edited December 2012

Sweet! :) For some reason the demo is not working for me. I get this after hitting Dismiss when being told I need to buy Xamarin.Mac.

i.e. I'm getting this when trying to create a new Xamarin.Mac solution. I've installed it - the version of MonoDevelop is now 3.1.0.

System.Exception: Xamarin.Mac is required to load this project
    at MonoDevelop.MonoMac.XamMacProject.ThrowIfNotCheckInstalled (MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation info) [0x00042] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-3.1.0-release/7cf5e007/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoMac/MonoDevelop.MonoMac/Project/XamMacProject.cs:66
    at MonoDevelop.MonoMac.XamMacProjectBase..ctor (System.String languageName, MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation info, System.Xml.XmlElement projectOptions) [0x00009] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-3.1.0-release/7cf5e007/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoMac/MonoDevelop.MonoMac/Project/XamMacProjectBase.cs:163
    at MonoDevelop.MonoMac.XamMacProject..ctor (System.String languageName, MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation info, System.Xml.XmlElement projectOptions) [0x00000] in :0
    at MonoDevelop.MonoMac.XamMacProjectBinding.CreateProject (MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation info, System.Xml.XmlElement projectOptions) [0x0000c] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-3.1.0-release/7cf5e007/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoMac/MonoDevelop.MonoMac/Project/XamMacProjectBinding.cs:22
    at MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectService.CreateProject (System.String type, MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation info, System.Xml.XmlElement projectOptions) [0x00033] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-3.1.0-release/7cf5e007/source/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Core/MonoDevelop.Projects/ProjectService.cs:498
    at MonoDevelop.Ide.Templates.ProjectDescriptor.CreateItem (MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation projectCreateInformation, System.String defaultLanguage) [0x00036] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-3.1.0-release/7cf5e007/source/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide.Templates/ProjectDescriptor.cs:116
    at MonoDevelop.Ide.Templates.SolutionDescriptor.CreateEntry (MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation projectCreateInformation, System.String defaultLanguage) [0x001bc] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-3.1.0-release/7cf5e007/source/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide.Templates/SolutionDescriptor.cs:152
    at MonoDevelop.Ide.Templates.ProjectTemplate.CreateWorkspaceItem (MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation cInfo) [0x00000] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-3.1.0-release/7cf5e007/source/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide.Templates/ProjectTemplate.cs:232
    at MonoDevelop.Ide.Projects.NewProjectDialog.CreateProject () [0x001ef] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-3.1.0-release/7cf5e007/source/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide.Projects/NewProjectDialog.cs:432

@macintoshsauce Same thing happens to me when making a new project, but not when opening an existing one.

Is this a limitation of the trial?

• MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

The first time you open a MonoMac project, it will ask you whether you want to upgrade it to be a Xamarin.Mac project.

It will change the project type and replace MonoMac.dll with XamMac.dll which has a larger API set.

Ok, it sounds like I just need to buy the full version, it doesn't seem like the trial does this.

BTW awesome product. We have a MonoMac port of Draw a Stickman: EPIC, switching to Xamarin.Mac will get us Game Center integration, and all we have to do is change using MonoTouch.GameKit to using MonoMac.GameKit.

• JosephHillJosephHill USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited December 2012

Hey guys

It is a limitation of the trial. You should be able to create a Mac (open source) project with the trial.

Dismissing should make that clear (and not display an exception). We'll get a fix out for that ASAP.

• AlexSotoAlexSoto MXXamarin Team Xamurai

Excellent!! Will definitely switching to Xamarin.Mac!! Congratulations for this new release :)

• Excellent work! It's great to see a fully supported version of MonoMac.

• Xamarin.Mac makes the rest of the Xamarin offer all the more attractive:
    thanks a lot for this extremely positive announcement!

• vbelletvbellet USMember, Beta ✭✭

Thanks a lot for Xamarin.mac it's exactly what I was looking for!

• BillStorageBillStorage USMember

Very impressive so far!

• deapsquatterdeapsquatter USBeta ✭✭

Hi All,

Has the trial been fixed? If I create a new Xamarin.Mac project (That's "Mac" not the "Mac (Open Source)" option) my project still references the MonoMac assembly.