and it is official - Microsoft Xamarin!

2»

• AxelCharpentierAxelCharpentier FRMember ✭✭

@NatFriedman thanck for the feedback, cant wait to know more.

One thing I'd like to know, (I know you wont answer :wink: ) is Xamarin will stay a standalone company owned by MS or is Xamarin will be merged into MS involving the disappearing of the Xamarin brand ?

• MommMomm USMember ✭✭✭

At least I believe we will be able to take Xamarin certifications without paying 2k :smile:

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 USMember ✭✭✭

@DarrenMunson Why renew? Your subscription should still work, just not receive updates right? As long as you can wait a couple weeks without updates.

• DavidCarawayDavidCaraway USBeta ✭✭

I guess I'm the oddball here. I was both expecting and dreading this. Perhaps the new CEO at MS will act differently, but MS has NEVER played the cross platform game nicely for any duration. I'm porting a very large Silverlight app right now for that very reason. Mac will become a 2nd class citizen. Not right away, but it will probably happen because that is what MS does. It can't help itself. Then you will have these great new Xamarin Forms features that just so happen are only available for Windows devices. That too is well established in the MS playbook. Nadella does seem to be made from a different mold than Gates and Ballmer. Perhaps my cynicism is misplaced. I will go by their history until I see proof otherwise though. I was just about to adopt Forms but I think I'll stick to Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android. It will be less work should history repeat itself at MS. Congrats to Xamarin though. I've been on that side of an acquisition and it is a sweet time for those with stock options.

• DavideZordanDavideZordan GBUniversity ✭✭

Congratulations to all the teams, this is a great move: looking forward to the next months and learning about all future plans.

• SKallSKall USMember ✭✭✭✭

So will you Xamarin guys now get rid of the Mono style guidelines and conform with Microsoft's? :smiley:

• mridonimridoni ITMember ✭✭

@CarawayDJ : I understand why you're worried, but the current Microsoft is rather different from the old one: open-sourcing of the .Net framework, Linux as a first-class citizen in Azure, etc. And if they just wanted to kill cross-platform development, they would just find some legal (as in lawsuits, etc.) mean of stopping the Xamarin/Mono team well before this date: the simple threat would have sufficed. But they never did, not even in the Ballmer days.

I think it's just the opposite: Xamarin (and Mono on Linux) are part of their strategy, that at the moment must involve cross-platform development. I don't doubt for an instant that they would like the whole world to switch en masse to some flavour of Windows, but I also think they''ve accepted the fact that this is not going to happen for a very long time (if ever). So while MS is doing its best to keep its market positions, they must take into account the fact that this is a rather different world from the one one they were used to.