Forum General
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

and it is official - Microsoft Xamarin!

congrats to Xamarin & Microsoft (pending regulatory approval)

So Microsoft and Xamarin finally agrees and Microsoft will be the future owner of Xamarin

More here: http://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2016/02/24/microsoft-to-acquire-xamarin-and-empower-more-developers-to-build-apps-on-any-device/
and from Xamarin - https://blog.xamarin.com/a-xamarin-microsoft-future/

/k

• FabioCozzolinoFabioCozzolino ITBeta, University ✭✭✭

It had to happen at some point ... great news, guys!

• jonathanyatesjonathanyates GBMember ✭✭✭

Hallelujah !!!!

• Dan_MirandaDan_Miranda MXMember

Congratulations to the whole team!!!

• 15mgm1515mgm15 USMember ✭✭✭✭

Changes on the xamarin pricing policies would be awesome!

• LeeMallonLeeMallon GBInsider, University ✭✭

Really awesome news, shared some thoughts on our blog, looking forward to hearing more at Build & Evolve http://www.rarelyimpossible.com/blog/2016/2/24/microsoft-acquires-xamarin-and-why-this-is-awesome-for-everyone

• AnthonyRamirezAnthonyRamirez USUniversity ✭✭✭

@LeeMallon great post! Thanks for your insights. I hope you are right ;)

• MichaelLopez.8911MichaelLopez.8911 USUniversity ✭✭

@AxelCharpentier said:
    Hope Microsoft will bring entreprise class QA processes and revamp the xamarin pricing policies.

Amen to that.

• KevinFordKevinFord USUniversity, Certified XTC Partners ✭✭✭

@15mgm15 said:
    Changes on the xamarin pricing policies would be awesome!

That's certainly my prediction:

http://windingroadway.blogspot.com/2016/02/ms-buys-xamarin-analysis-248.html?m=1

• AxelStallknechtAxelStallknecht DEUniversity ✭✭

I can't understand this enthusiasm. Nobody knows which way Xamarin goes and I'm concerned. There are no facts about the deal available. Pricing issn't anything. Whats about Xamarin Studio on Mac ? Will it persist ? Whats about the really great Xamarin Support ? Does Microsoft have any developer support ? Whats about University ? There are a lot of questions to be answered.....we will see, what the future brings.

• ChristianFalchChristianFalch NODeveloper Group Leader ✭✭✭

Congrats - been waiting for this one!! Crossing my fingers for the continuity of all your great tools!

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@AxelStallknecht:

Does Microsoft have any developer support ?

MS have the MSDN (MicroSoft Developer Network) where you can create real tickets (that also will be answered in a short time).
    Whereby I could imagine, that Xamarin Studio on MAC will be canceled some times...
    @AxelCharpentier

Hope Microsoft will bring entreprise class QA processes and revamp the xamarin pricing policies.

Exactly :smile:
    Especially the "enterprise class QA processes" are missing extremely regarding .Forms.
    Here, I really hope, that things will be change soon :smiley:

• AxelCharpentierAxelCharpentier FRMember ✭✭

@AxelStallknecht If you follow tha MS news regarding developpement, you'll see that they have opened source .NET framework (and revamp it, see .NET Core 1.0 )to be able to spread this technology to all platform (linux/mac/whatever), buying Xamarin makes lot of sens regarding this policy of "openess" => Make the .NET framework a 1st class technology on all available platforms (cloud, premise, mobile, watches, vacum cleaner)

Regarding pricing : MS now distribute free version of VS ("Community edition") that is very complete. once again it makes sens to make free dev tools to spread .NET technology on all platform.
    So, here is my guess : Xamarin tools will be available in the VS Entreprise edition, at the same cost that now, meaning that if you have an MSDN subscription it will be free :)

Regarding support and quality : No arm to Xamarin guys that make their best, but MS support and quality is no common mesure to what Xamarin does, go to MSDN as @FredyWenger said... Bringing MS quality process into Xamarin will dramatically improve Xamarin release.

Regarding Xamarin Studio : My guess here is that it will be merged with Visual Studio Code... but that's only a guess :)

Here are my bets, but I pretty sure that could only make Xamarin better.

• GavinGrantGavinGrant GBUniversity ✭✭✭

I agree with @AxelStallknecht. I think there's too many unknowns. I have just subscribed to the University and now worried I've just wasted a lot of money on something that could become worthless in less than a year. Microsoft have their own certification programs and I expect Microsoft to absorb Xamarin into their own program. So where would that leave the then 'unofficial' certification. Also, what will Apple's response be now that their biggest software rival controls an alternative way of producing apps for IOS. Remember the clause in the IOS developers licence agreement that said we had to use Apple provided software. Also, there's the technical challenges that Xamarin are facing with Bitcode on the Apple Watch. What's to stop Apple now putting something in place that prevents Xamarin at a technical level from working. I think @NatFriedman and @MigueldeIcaza owe it to the whole community to put our minds at rest before Evolve. There are many whose livelihoods rely on Xamarin and the period of uncertainty is not a very good place to be.

• NuninzNuninz USMember ✭✭

I can see Xamarin actually benefiting from this, like most of you have said about Support, Quality and Pricing. For Xamarin developers using Mac/Xamarin Studio...I have no hope in that. But let's wait to see!

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeeMallon said:
    Really awesome news, shared some thoughts on our blog, looking forward to hearing more at Build & Evolve http://www.rarelyimpossible.com/blog/2016/2/24/microsoft-acquires-xamarin-and-why-this-is-awesome-for-everyone

That video is awesome! But I hope you won't be correct with your comparison of Xamarin Forms and Silverlight. I predicted the death of Silverlight around 2010. ;-)

It seems like we all have the same feelings about this. It's long due and can only be good for everybody.

Quality will increase, prices will drop and support will hopefully become better.
    I'm a bit concerned about the speed of new releases though. Only time will tell.

I also think that Xamarin Studio will be merged into Code. They don't need three IDEs. But that doesn't mean that any features will be dropped.

• DaveParkerDaveParker GBUniversity

I'd like to see what they do about pricing. Especially after just helping a customer make the decision to licence Xamarin and they have spent a considerable amount on licencing.

With regard to the VS Community Edition - that still annoys me as a long time Professional subscriber. They basically gave away the same product I pay to use... And I am tied into a multi-year renewal cycle on it as well...

With regard to Mobile Certification and University - I'm in a similar position to, I guess, many others... Do I pay the fees and do the courses needed for renewal.. Do I let it lapse and wait to see what happens with Microsoft...

So, lets wait and see and hope. But, I really hope that Nat or Miguel or someone at Xamarin make some announcements before the conference so that we get an idea of what is going to happen...

After saying all that.. Xamarin still rocks! I really hope they keep the name :smile:

@AxelCharpentier:
    It really seems as we have the same mindset :blush:
    @GavinGrant:
    I understand your fears... but we only can hope the best and see what happens in the feature...

@FredyWenger Yes. Swiss is close from France :smile:

• mridonimridoni ITMember ✭✭

@AxelCharpentier said:

So, here is my guess : Xamarin tools will be available in the VS Entreprise edition, at the same cost that now, meaning that if you have an MSDN subscription it will be free :)

Or they might keep the current pricing structure and, since XS at this point makes little sense, get rid of the VS limitation for Indie licenses (bonus points if they should decide to bundle the Indie edition, without support of course, in the Community Edition of Visual Studio :-) ). Anyway, this would dramatically lower the entry barrier to Xamarin.

Regarding support and quality : No arm to Xamarin guys that make their best, but MS support and quality is no common mesure to what Xamarin does, go to MSDN as @FredyWenger said... Bringing MS quality process into Xamarin will dramatically improve Xamarin release.

This is probably the best result we're going to get from this. QA for Xamarin has been, well, let's say "peculiar" (I know there are many people doing a lot of hard work, and I know Xamarin was stretched particularly thin, so I'm being particularly kind here).

Regarding Xamarin Studio : My guess here is that it will be merged with Visual Studio Code... but that's only a guess :)

VS and VS Code are two completely different beasts, so no overlap there. I guess Xamarin Studio will return to its roots as MonoDevelop and progress (or not) from there. While it's a very good IDE, obviously it can't compete with Visual Studio.

Insights will be probably merged into Azure: I switched a couple of months due to the insane pricing/feature changes in Insights, it took me a whole couple of hours, and I never looked back.

University will probably continue in the current form, with some possible re-labeling/merging/integration under the MSDN umbrella.

RoboVM, that Xamarin recently has acquired, is not going to survive long in its current form.

• FabioCozzolinoFabioCozzolino ITBeta, University ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    surely it is not a short process, Xamarin is still alive and will be for the next years. IMHO the current Xamarin subscriptions, like University, are still valid, but, as a first step, I think that in the next monts we will see many of the Xamarin Business subscription features simply integrated in the MSDN subscriptions. Maybe Xamarin Studio will be renamed as Visual Studio for Mac ;)

Fabio

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭
  • mmDartmmDart USMember ✭✭

Big business conglomerates buy small competitive companies especially when they constitute a threat to their business model. When these small companies participate in open source and free software, the threat is considered even worse by these big companies. One way to circumvent this "thorn in the throat", is to acquire the small "threatening" companies, then claim you'll support or merge their "products", then later, a bit later, cancel their products claiming they do not fit your business model any longer. This happens ALL the time.
    By acquiring Xamarin, Microsoft strategically gains the monopoly on C#. Bye bye Xamarin Studio. Bye bye MonoDevelop. Bye bye Mono. Bye bye C# on Linux, the OS competing with the "great" Windows. Bye bye C# on Mac-OS. The only way to develop with C# is to buy a Windows OS license and work on Windows. If you want to develop iOS apps or cross-platform applications, then develop on Windows OS.
    After having taken 2 big commercial flops (at least!), one with disappointing Windows 8 (8.x) and one with Windows mobile, Microsoft decided it would be better to suffocate the "opponents". Unlike what the repliers in this thread might think about Microsoft, this company is not benevolent nor interested with its clients needs. As a big company, its main purpose is to maximize its profit whatever are the means or ways used to reach this goal, even those that are "tacky" unethical. Microsoft, Apple and Google, to mention a few, have acquired many small competitive companies only to shut them down, potentially acquiring their patents.
    Monopolies have NEVER revealed themselves as a good thing. Never...

• mmDartmmDart USMember ✭✭

Oups, forget to mention an article in "The Register", dated 25th Feb 2016, and entitled "Microsoft acquires Xamarin: An obvious move not without risks", available on "The Register" web site...

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@mmDart said:

By acquiring Xamarin, Microsoft strategically gains the monopoly on C#. Bye bye Xamarin Studio. Bye bye MonoDevelop. Bye bye Mono. Bye bye C# on Linux, the OS competing with the "great" Windows. Bye bye C# on Mac-OS. The only way to develop with C# is to buy a Windows OS license and work on Windows. If you want to develop iOS apps or cross-platform applications, then develop on Windows OS.

Sorry, but that's exactly the opposite of what Microsoft have been doing for the last several years.

• RiccardoMoschetti.1881RiccardoMoschetti.1881 ITMember, University
    edited February 2016

@mmDart said:
    Bye bye C# on Mac-OS.

I think there are two facts that don't match with this vision:

1. C# on OSX has already made available with .Net Core CLR;
    2. If MSFT didn't leverage C# on Mac [for iOS], someone else would make the new Xamarin out of Monodevelop...

As mostly (:wink:) @DaveHunt hits the nail on the head (with his big hammer :smile:)
    Where I would not say the last several years - maye 1-2 years.
    The mindset of MS has changed since Balmer (fortunately) was gone.
    And since 1-2 years also the strategy has (noticeable) changed (e.g. MVC 6 with selfhosting also on Linux and MAC) , what are really good news!

• TyKramerTyKramer USMember ✭✭

Yes, I see this overall as a positive. But I wouldn't be too sure that pricing will "improve" from everyone's perspective. Xamarin may just be rolled into VS Professional, which would mean you'd have to purchase that to play. Great if you already have it, great for moving Xamarin into corporations where VS is ubiquitous, but not so great if you want a "cheap" solution. And bye bye Xamarin Studio, eventually.

Also, I wouldn't expect to hear anything specific from the Xamarin folks, at least in the short run. This is Microsoft's show now and they control the publicity and talking points, which is typical for an acquisition.

• AxelStallknechtAxelStallknecht DEUniversity ✭✭

@NatFriedman Thanks for your comment. I hope that the deal makes Xamarin stronger than ever. I also hope especially that Xamarin Studio on Mac will not dropped. ;) And I look forward to what the future holds.

• mridonimridoni ITMember ✭✭

@TyKramer said:
    Xamarin may just be rolled into VS Professional, which would mean you'd have to purchase that to play. Great if you already have it, great for moving Xamarin into corporations where VS is ubiquitous, but not so great if you want a "cheap" solution.

VS2015 Professional is US$ 499 for a perpetual license (or US$ 1,199 if you need/want MSDN). It still would beat the current Business license price (US$ 995 x platform a year) hands down; I currently pay US$299 a year for an Indie license (single platform, no VS support).

• TyKramerTyKramer USMember ✭✭

@mridoni I think that would be a pretty good deal if it happens. I'll probably be buying Visual Studio for the first time if that's the case, and would be able to recommend the "free" Xamarin at work, since we already have VS there.

But a vocal minority would like a model like Unreal Engine where the software costs $0 until you start making money in the App Store. I just can't see that happening, especially given the (pending) new ownership.

What about those of us that have been with Xamarin since the mono touch days who were grandfathered into the original upgrade prices. Will this still be honoured by Microsoft I wonder. Can't see that happening so a bit of a kick in the teeth for our loyalty.

• EddieConnerEddieConner USMember ✭✭

@GavinGrant - I am wondering the same regarding the grandfathered upgrade prices.

• darinseasedarinsease USMember

@GavinGrant said:
    What about those of us that have been with Xamarin since the mono touch days who were grandfathered into the original upgrade prices. Will this still be honoured by Microsoft I wonder. Can't see that happening so a bit of a kick in the teeth for our loyalty.

I hope our re-sub cost will be honored. I can easily imagine it doubling.

• I am an in independent developer, I have 2 platforms at business level, and renewal is due in 2 weeks. I also already have MSDN.

Do I renew? I would say it is unlikely at the moment unless someone can tell me I am not throwing my money away.

@DarrenMunson I would maybe try emailing your account manager at Xamarin. Explain that you are due to expire but because of the lack of information, you think it only fair they extend your licence until after the announcement at Evolve. You will then be able to make an informed decision. Worth a try I would have thought.

@mmDart well IMHO you have it all wrong :

when they constitute a threat to their business model

Why xamarin would threat MS ? Xamarin enable the whole .NET community to develop easly on platforms that were not available previously, Xamarin is a hugh opportunity for Microsoft to spread their technologies, it is not a threat

By acquiring Xamarin, Microsoft strategically gains the monopoly on C#. Bye bye Xamarin Studio. Bye bye MonoDevelop. Bye bye Mono. Bye bye C# on Linux, the OS competing with the "great" Windows.

Do you heard about .NET Core ?, MS is revamping the whole .NET framework (including asp.net) to make it cross plateform (ie Linux/OSX/Unix), and it is open source you can even add your own pull request : https://github.com/dotnet/corefx
    So their is no monoploy of c# on windows

If you want to develop iOS apps or cross-platform applications, then develop on Windows OS.

Well, again did you heard about Visual Studio Code ? https://code.visualstudio.com/ 1st c# ide to develop on Mac and Linux, made by MS, it far from prefect but it is here.

I think your stuck in the MS vision that prevaled in the 2k's year, things have changed.... a lot....