How to track files in Solution Explorer when needed only?

Right now whenever a file is opened in Xamarin Studio, the Solution Explorer tree expands to reveal the file as well. As a result, during debugging, the Solution Explorer tree expands in many places, and gets difficult to navigate around.

How can I set up XS to not auto-expand the tree when a file is opened? And then if needed, how can I get it to show a specific file?

Visual Studio supports both these operations.

Answers

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

I do not think this is supported without making a change to the source code. I would open an enhancement request.

Looking at Visual Studio it seems to not track the active document in the Solution window but has a "Sync with Active Document" toolbar button.

• CaseyHancockCaseyHancock USMember ✭✭
    edited December 2015

This is a feature I would find very useful as well. I use the search bar to go to files rather than the solution explorer. Because projects and folders are expanded automatically I have to go hunting or collapse numerous things when I want to run a certain project.

• Could the Xamarin folks please open a bug for this? I am spending way too much time fussing with the tree as a result of this feature bug.

Thanks!

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

The way it works is by design, so they're not going to treat it as a bug. If you want them to consider adding this feature, then you need to open an enhancement request in bugzilla. I'm not sure why you would expect them to do it for you.