Forum Visual Studio
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Can't update Xamarin for Visual Studio

Hi
When opening a solution in VS 2015 I get the X showing "Xamarin for Visual Studio Available" in the toolbar, but nothing happens when trying to click it.

Any idea how to resolve this? I'm currently running Xamarin 4.0.0.1717.

Regards
Tommy

Answers

• Hi All, I'm experiencing the same issue - for the second update in a row. The only solution I could find is to re-install the VS plugin... At the same time, it would be nice to have updates / patches also available via downloads.

• @JosephBorbely said:
    Hi All, I'm experiencing the same issue - for the second update in a row. The only solution I could find is to re-install the VS plugin... At the same time, it would be nice to have updates / patches also available via downloads.

Thx for the tip. I could uninstall the plugin Get Xamarin from Extensions and Updates but not Xamarin for Visual Studio. How did you uninstall that one?

• Sadly, the only way is to uninstall all of Xamarin from "Programs and Features". That does it for me... It is a drag - I know, but hopefully temporary.

• DeanCleaverDeanCleaver USMember ✭✭✭

Thanks @JimArbuthnot.6008

• @DeanCleaver, no worries … Glad to see it's helpful to you.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited April 2017

Thanks for the reports and for posting the workaround. I will now close this thread to consolidate any further discussion and updates onto the following corresponding public bug report: Bug 38753.

(As always, I'm also happy to reopen the thread upon request within the next month or two. Just send a quick email to [email protected] with a link to this thread. For follow-up after the next couple of months, if the remaining related open bug reports or forum threads do not cover the desired scenario, please follow the recommendations to create a new bug report, forum thread, or Stack Overflow question. Thanks!)

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

Thread re-opened on request.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited November 2016

It turns out the reopen request was about a different symptom that was seen later in the update process. This thread is also fairly old now. For both of those reasons, the best options would be to start a fresh discussion for that new symptom or to post a follow-up on an existing discussion that matches that different new behavior. Thanks!

I will re-close this thread as an archived discussion at this time.

This discussion has been closed.