Forum Visual Studio

Preview Release: Xamarin Studio 6.0 with Roslyn Support

1356

Posts

  • i_NateCooki_NateCook USMember ✭✭

    @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs You're not by chance talking about AXML documents are you? If so then that's covered by this bugzilla: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20144 Looks like it is targeted for an upcoming release, but I'm not sure how to interpret the target milestones.

  • It's related I guess, although this is working in XS5 and these are XAML files instead of AXML. Not checked whether this apply to AXML in XS6 as well.

  • rseostarrseostar USUniversity ✭✭
    edited February 2016

    Anyone have a trick to have this preview installed side by side with the stable 5.10.2 build?
    I so far have not been able to get them to work side by side.
    I've tried installing the preview in a separate directory after I already had the main 5.10 build installed to no avail.
    Second thing I tried was the reverse (uninstalled everything, installed preview first, then stable), and I still can only get one to run.
    I want to help test the preview, and was hoping some one knew a trick to getting them to play nice side by side. Oh and I am trying to get this to work on my Windows 10 machine.

  • NateCookPersonalNateCookPersonal USUniversity ✭✭

    @rseostar said:
    Anyone have a trick to have this preview installed side by side with the stable 5.10.2 build?
    I so far have not been able to get them to work side by side.
    I've tried installing the preview in a separate directory after I already had the main 5.10 build installed to no avail.
    Second thing I tried was the reverse (uninstalled everything, installed preview first, then stable), and I still can only get one to run.
    I want to help test the preview, and was hoping some one knew a trick to getting them to play nice side by side. Oh and I am trying to get this to work on my Windows 10 machine.

    Side by side works only on OSX, according to Lluis. I think it was the third or fourth post in this thread where he mentioned that.

  • rseostarrseostar USUniversity ✭✭

    Yeah I saw that, but was hoping things might have changed as that was an older build of this preview. Ah well i guess.

  • mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

    @rseostar - You should be able to install side by side on Windows. You can extract the files from .msi and run it from there.

    Open up a command prompt as administrator and then run a command similar to the following, replacing paths as needed:

    msiexec /a c:\users\matt\downloads\XamarinStudio-6.0.0.3668.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\users\matt\downloads\xs6-3668
    

    Then inside the Xamarin Studio\bin directory you should have XamarinStudio.exe which you can run.

  • mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

    @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs - Testing the XML formatting options I can see two things which do not work.

    • Attribute wrapping seems to have no affect in Xamarin Studio 6 but wraps in 5.10
    • Omit XML declaration seems to have no affect in Xamarin Studio 6 or Xamarin Studio 5.10

    I have opened a bug for the above formatting options.

  • JamesMooreJamesMoore USMember ✭✭

    I tried installing for the first time this morning, and it doesn't seem very functional. For one, all of my .cs files are a giant sea of red, since the editor can't seem to resolve anything that comes from F# projects. Code completion also seems completely nonfunctional. Is there now an extra a switch or something I need to set to tell C# files how to resolve stuff in F#?

  • diegoxleondiegoxleon ESMember ✭✭

    I´m not able to compile a PCL. See attached image

  • tomjonztomjonz DEMember

    No new version this week. :(

  • mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

    @tomaten - A new version of Xamarin Studio 6 was released on the alpha channel.

  • knocteknocte GBMember ✭✭

    @JamesMoore said:
    I tried installing for the first time this morning, and it doesn't seem very functional. For one, all of my .cs files are a giant sea of red, since the editor can't seem to resolve anything that comes from F# projects. Code completion also seems completely nonfunctional. Is there now an extra a switch or something I need to set to tell C# files how to resolve stuff in F#?

    This looks like the same bug I reported here:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37977

  • knocteknocte GBMember ✭✭

    @mattward said:
    @tomaten - A new version of Xamarin Studio 6 was released on the alpha channel.

    Great! But seems like updating to this from the last XS6 preview doesn't work. I go to "Check for updates", and it sees 2 new updates: XS6 and GTK# for Windows 2.12.30.1, but the latter fails to be retreived (when I click to download it, and the progress bar finishes, it says "Failed", with no more explanations). The only option is then to click the "Retry" button, which ends up with the same result (is it because the new XS6 version depends on gtk#>=2.12.30.1?).

  • knocteknocte GBMember ✭✭

    @knocte said:

    @mattward said:
    @tomaten - A new version of Xamarin Studio 6 was released on the alpha channel.

    Great! But seems like updating to this from the last XS6 preview doesn't work. I go to "Check for updates", and it sees 2 new updates: XS6 and GTK# for Windows 2.12.30.1, but the latter fails to be retreived (when I click to download it, and the progress bar finishes, it says "Failed", with no more explanations). The only option is then to click the "Retry" button, which ends up with the same result (is it because the new XS6 version depends on gtk#>=2.12.30.1?).

    I've just uninstalled XS6, installed the 5.10 one, and tried to update to the latest in the Alpha channel, and the result is both XS6 and GTK# updates fail to be downloaded (I'm on Windows 8 BTW). See screenshot:

  • knocteknocte GBMember ✭✭

    @knocte said:

    @mattward said:
    @tomaten - A new version of Xamarin Studio 6 was released on the alpha channel.

    Great! But seems like updating to this from the last XS6 preview doesn't work. I go to "Check for updates", and it sees 2 new updates: XS6 and GTK# for Windows 2.12.30.1, but the latter fails to be retreived (when I click to download it, and the progress bar finishes, it says "Failed", with no more explanations). The only option is then to click the "Retry" button, which ends up with the same result (is it because the new XS6 version depends on gtk#>=2.12.30.1?).

    This is what the log shows:

    ERROR [2016-02-22 13:10:58Z]: Updater download failed: http://download.xamarin.com/GTKforWindows/Windows/gtk-sharp-2.12.30.1.msi
    System.Exception: MD5 mismatch for file 'C:\Users\Andres\AppData\Local\XamarinStudio-5.0\Cache\TempDownload\gtk-sharp-2.12.30.1.msi'. Expected: 'c5d75447f00dbd1a4ae252245029c101'. Actual: '18ed48afc73edf04077c587b631c7a22'
       at Xamarin.Ide.Updater.DownloadService.Download()
    ERROR [2016-02-22 13:10:58Z]: Updater download failed (ReceiveFailure): http://download.xamarin.com/studio/Windows/XamarinStudio-6.0.0.4520-0.msi
    WARNING [2016-02-22 13:13:45Z]: Gtk-Warning: Error loading theme icon 'help-contents' for stock: Failed to load icon
    Stack trace: 
       at Gtk.Application.gtk_main()
       at Gtk.Application.Run()
       at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeApp.Run()
       at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Run(MonoDevelopOptions options)
       at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Main(String[] args, IdeCustomizer customizer)
       at Xamarin.Startup.MainClass.Main(String[] args)
    
  • joehannajoehanna AUBeta ✭✭

    Hi @LluisSanchez, did Preview 5 come out? If so, how do we get to it or how will we be informed?

    Thanks

    @LluisSanchez said:
    @tomaten @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs There will be a new preview soon, early next week.

  • OddbjornBakkeOddbjornBakke NOMember ✭✭

    @joehanna said:
    Hi @LluisSanchez, did Preview 5 come out? If so, how do we get to it or how will we be informed?

    Thanks

    @LluisSanchez said:
    @tomaten @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs There will be a new preview soon, early next week.

    The current one in the alpha channel is 6.0.0.4520. The Preview 4 is 6.0.0.3668.

  • mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

    @knocte - The updater bug has been filed, although the bug is private. The hash defined for the gtk# msi download is incorrect on Windows.

  • DavidDancyDavidDancy AUMember ✭✭✭✭

    I very much hope there's an urgent update in the works for this 6.0.0.4520 version of XS Alpha (MacOS).

    I've spent 30 minutes with it, editing a XAML file, and it's probably the flakiest XS edition I've ever tried - normally they're pretty good, but this one has some serious problems. The XAML editor crashed on me 3 times within 5 minutes as I added elements to the XML and assigned attributes with values. At points the editor wouldn't even let me type a value for an attribute. In fact, editing attribute values seems to provoke a crash more often than not. On the basis of that experience I'm very surprised that this edition even made it out the door: the XAML editor is pretty much unusable.

    On the positive side, I do enjoy the new "dark" interface. There are one or two small glitches

    • The mouse and cursors are almost impossible to see, because they are black. We need some contrasting pixels there to enable us to see them against the dark background. I use the editor on the train where the sunlight coming in the window means the screen is really hard to read, and the present shape and contrast of the mouse and text editing cursors do not help at all.
    • The compiler errors/warnings description text is still in black, so it's almost impossible to read.

    All in all the new interface is very pleasing. But please, fix that *%^&$% XAML editor before it drives everyone mad!

  • joehannajoehanna AUBeta ✭✭

    @OddbjrnBakke said:

    @joehanna said:
    Hi @LluisSanchez, did Preview 5 come out? If so, how do we get to it or how will we be informed?

    Thanks

    @LluisSanchez said:
    @tomaten @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs There will be a new preview soon, early next week.

    The current one in the alpha channel is 6.0.0.4520. The Preview 4 is 6.0.0.3668.

    Thanks @OddbjrnBakke. I didn't realise the Alpha channel was active again.

    If I switch to the Alpha channel from within XS 6, will that affect my production version of XS 5?

  • mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

    @DavidDancy - Can you file a bug on bugzilla with your IDE logs attached? Thanks.

  • ZoltanSokiZoltanSoki USMember

    I had the same issue with the previous build as @stefandv-cozmos (also mentioned in this thread does anyone know if it's fixed in the latest alpha build?
    I'd love to be an early adopter because of the awesome dark theme, but this bug still keeps me away. I know I could add the references to the dll-s manually, but that's an ugly solution and messes with the project files.

  • mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

    @joehanna - If you switch to the alpha channel and install Xamarin Studio then yes it will replace your old stable version of Xamarin Studio.

  • joehannajoehanna AUBeta ✭✭

    @mattward said:
    @joehanna - If you switch to the alpha channel and install Xamarin Studio then yes it will replace your old stable version of Xamarin Studio.

    Thanks @mattward.

    For the sake of reporting back to the group, I have both XS5 and XS6 installed side-by-side. I switched to the Alpha Channel in XS6 and it did not affect the channel selector in XS5 (which stayed set to "Stable").

    So I can update XS6 without affecting XS5 - however, it appears that Mono 4.3.2 (from the Alpha Channel) is used by both XS5 and XS6.

    Going forward, it would be great if the environments were completely independent of each other. It would mean that we can "play" in the alpha/beta channels to test and use new features, but we could always go back to the production-ready "Stable" channel when it is time to build and deploy apps for the App Store. I understand there could be syntactical errors etc when switching but that would be a known hazard when playing with new toys.

  • @mattward said:
    @DavidDancy - Can you file a bug on bugzilla with your IDE logs attached? Thanks.

    I can confirm I had the same experience; after a crash of 10 within first 5 minutes of use. It seems however, that it is now working without crashes for the moment. Not sure what happened though...

  • @ZoltanSoki said:
    I had the same issue with the previous build as @stefandv-cozmos (also mentioned in this thread does anyone know if it's fixed in the latest alpha build?
    I'd love to be an early adopter because of the awesome dark theme, but this bug still keeps me away. I know I could add the references to the dll-s manually, but that's an ugly solution and messes with the project files.

    I can confirm, I am not having this issue anymore...

  • @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs said:

    @mattward said:
    @DavidDancy - Can you file a bug on bugzilla with your IDE logs attached? Thanks.

    I can confirm I had the same experience; after a crash of 10 within first 5 minutes of use. It seems however, that it is now working without crashes for the moment. Not sure what happened though...

    Added a bug report
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=38986

  • mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

    @knocte - The GTK# download should now be fixed on Windows.

  • It seems that the Resolve Namespace fix is broken in the latest xs6 version... to bad
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=38988

  • I am wondering why https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37790 would be so hard to add... give me access to github develop and I add it myself :-)

  • knocteknocte GBMember ✭✭

    @mattward said:
    @knocte - The updater bug has been filed, although the bug is private. The hash defined for the gtk# msi download is incorrect on Windows.

    I didn't report in bugzilla because I guessed the problem could be fixed in the server side (hence, no "version" of XS applies ;) )

    @mattward said:
    @knocte - The GTK# download should now be fixed on Windows.

    Cool, now the GTK# update succeeds in downloading, but the XS6 fails (from an XS5.10 install).
    The error in the log is still:

    ERROR [2016-02-23 10:24:49Z]: Updater download failed (ReceiveFailure): http://download.xamarin.com/studio/Windows/XamarinStudio-6.0.0.4520-0.msi

    I'll try now to install from the latest downloadable XS6Preview.

  • knocteknocte GBMember ✭✭

    @knocte said:
    I'll try now to install from the latest downloadable XS6Preview.

    Updating to Alpha from the last downloadable XS6Preview works FYI.

  • Can't create new F# project in 6.0.4520 :(
    Opening existing solution fails also.

  • mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

    @DaniilSmirnov - Currently there are a few F# addin problems on Windows with the alpha 1 release. You should be able to workaround them by adding a binding redirect to the XamarinStudio.exe.config

  • Note to Microsoft: PLEASE DO NOT KILL XAMARIN STUDIO!!!!

  • NinoFlorisNinoFloris USMember

    What about listening to my code formatting wishes?
    As the latest preview is very bad at doing this.

  • mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

    @NinoFloris - There is a bug with the current alpha release where the text editor settings in preferences under Text Editor - Markers and Rulers get erased. If you are referring to another problem can you please provide more information, thanks?

  • tomjonztomjonz DEMember

    I am back to 6338. First I wondering me about the new UI style. Did you forget any theme? Second I cannot change the UI language ...

  • DaniilSmirnovDaniilSmirnov USMember
    edited February 2016

    @mattward Thank You, seems to work well!
    Intellisense doesn't work at all..

  • NinoFlorisNinoFloris USMember
    edited February 2016

    What I have noticed is this (maybe a migration issue?)

    First of almost half of the options in the previous version (5) are not available anymore, the braces tab for instance is totally gone. I don't like (mildly stated) spaces between my method and parentheses for instance. They are under spacing, however the autocomplete totally ignores my setup style, even if I choose one of the defaults (Microsoft VS) it still autocompletes with a space between my method and my parentheses.

    Next thing is that redo and undo is broken, I have had multilpe occasions where an undo does not behave correctly and tears of half of a line that wasn't touched by my edits

    e.g.

    Initial:
    public void Test()
    {
    this.test = true;
    }

    My work:
    public void Test()
    {
    this.otherTest = false;
    this.test = true;
    }

    Undo state:
    public void Test()
    {
    st = true;
    }

    This seems to primarily happen with lines below what you are trying to undo.

This discussion has been closed.