Forum General

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

iPhone 5

ChrisHardyChrisHardy GBForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited September 2012 in General

So I caved and purchased an iPhone 5. Sadly I was in the US and woke up too late and the UK crowd had already snapped up the first phones to ship so I'm expecting my device to arrive sometime after 1st October.

Did you pre-order a device? Did you purchase a Samsung Galaxy SIII instead?

• MartinBowlingMartinBowling USMember, Insider ✭✭

iPhone 5, 32GB already provisioned and running my iOS 6 ready MonoTouch apps on it :D

• Same here! Beautiful device, MT works great on it!

• ChrisHardyChrisHardy GBForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I'm so jealous! So my order got sent out today so hopefully it'll be showing up on Monday! Very excited even without LTE in the UK!

• roycornelissenroycornelissen USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

Ordered a black iPhone 5 32GB... the wait here in the Netherlands is a bit longer :-)

• NicWiseNicWise NZMember, Insider, Beta mod

But late to the party. I ordered one, but spent the weekend (Fri-Sun) in Berlin, so I have literally JUST got it. So far, very nice. It's light.....

• OldRedthOldRedth USMember, Insider ✭✭✭

Unfortunately in Canada, my provider's activation servers were down all day friday from the demand. I'm about to go pick mine up though shortly :)

• ChrisHardyChrisHardy GBForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I got mine delivered today, then it turns out you needed a nano-sim to use the phone, so I went to O2, picked up a nano-sim, it then would "swap" with my micro sim, phoned them and hit the same problem. Went into the shop and they said they could swap the sim over but my account had "bars" on it and I'd need to call them to remove them before the sim swap would go through(?!?). Got back, tried to call them and my old sim didn't work, put in nano-sim and everything was up and running! woo!

As with what most people said, the iPhone 5 is much lighter. And every app I open that doesn't take advantage of the big screen I just shake my head at... :D

• ShaneMunnShaneMunn AUBeta ✭✭

iPhone 5 was my first ever Apple product that I pre-ordered and received on launch day. Had to wait until the next day to get the sim exchanged though. Loving it, my old '4 looks short and fat now.

• AlexSotoAlexSoto MXXamarin Team Xamurai

Im a bit jealous about all your i5's since here on Mexico there is no ETA :'( I hope they do not take so long to release it here, I still own an oldie 3GS

• TonyFonagerTonyFonager DKInsider ✭✭

Got my iPhone 5 the day it was released in Denmark (7 days ago), a white 32 GB model.

I ordered it on the website in the middle of the night when I got the email from Apple, saying it was possible to buy it in Denmark.

And when I finished the order, it was 3-4 weeks delivery.

Then the same morning, I accidentally was in my car and passed an "Elgiganten" electronics store (like BestBuy in the US), and it was 1 hour until they opened, and no one was standing outside.

So, I snapped the #1 pos in the queue (which was not there), and got the phone I wanted 1 hour later.

I then cancelled the 3-4 weeks order on Apple.com

And yeah baby, I totally love the new weight, bigger screen, faster phone, better sound ;-)

Take care,
    Tony Fonager, Denmark

• wallymwallym USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭

Iphone5 64 gigs here. Big improvement over my android device.

• I'm having a hard time justifying cost. I am cheap when it comes to mobile costs. I use NET10 AT&T MVNO to get my mobile service on old unlocked iPhone 4 GSM for $50/mo with tax.

• OldRedthOldRedth USMember, Insider ✭✭✭

The main reason I went for it was because I have an app that does barcode scanning and it's impossible to test the camera on the simulator. :(

• I've wondered how many devices are purchased because a developer has NOT handed down a device to a family member because you need to keep it for testing. I would not want to give my Mom a iPad 1, but an iPad 2? That is still an awesome device.