Double sign-in should be avoided

1. http://www.xamarin.com
  2. I sign-in
  3. Products | Xamarin University

Why does it ask me to sign in again? If the signed-in account is an active University member, I should be able to straight go into University

-Pranav

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai
    edited February 2016

Hi @PranavKandula --

Yes, sorry for the inconvenience. It's a ramification of the server side.

https://university.xamarin.com is a completely independent site from the primary xamarin.com homepage. AFAIK it's not even hosted in the same environment. As such, we share the credentials (back-end database), but not the token which represents your login. We track different data, and Xamarin University itself is a different product (so it also has it's own database specific to students).

Eventually, I'd love to see a truly unified SSO experience, but I'm not sure where that falls on the roadmap for the two development teams or even what would be involved in making that happen logistically since it's actually two independent development teams.

Anyway, once you log in once to both sides, it should cache that off and you shouldn't have to login again for a while so hopefully that partially helps.

Thanks,
    Mark Smith
    Xamarin University | Curriculum

• PranavKandulaPranavKandula USUniversity

I see. Thanks for your reply. Xamarin University opens up in the same tab as parent site and with the same chrome/menu and also shows as signed-in. Although that signed-in state was for the main site and not the university. That is the confusion I am describing above. It shows as signed-in and still asks for a login or start a trial.

I suggest launching university.xamarin.com is a separate browser tab/window without the unified chrome/menu so users know they are redirected to a new site. Once your unified SSO is implemented you may merge them back into one site.

Thanks,
    Pranav

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

Hi @PranavKandula --

I've passed your feedback to the web team. Thanks!

Mark Smith
    Xamarin University | Curriculum