Updating Local Notifications causes some devices to become unresponsive

DaveCarsonDaveCarson GBUniversity ✭✭✭

I've had a few reports from users of Samsung devices that their devices are becoming unresponsive when my app is performing an update (it accesses a third party webservice for data twice a day).
Affected users say that when attempting to unlock the device using a PIN or unlock pattern the phone goes blank (at best) or fails to respond. Once the app has finished it's update (takes about 10 seconds) the phone is back to normal.

Now, I have an option in the app which will disable the notifications and when this is checked users report that the device behaves normally while re-enabling the notifications causes the phone to be unresponsive again during updates.

I've don't have a Samsung test unit at the moment (one is on the way) but I have not had any issues with the HTC, Sony or Nexus devices that I do have to hand.

Now, the update is performed by a Service which is invoked via the AlarmManager but can also be triggered from within the application itself. I'm using the NotificationManagerCompat and NotificationCompat.Builder from the support library.

All methods which call NotificationCompat.Builder.SetProgress and NotificationManagerCompat.Notify are called using async\await.

So, what's happening here - especially on Samsung devices?

Answers

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know but with Samsung devices I have had some problems in the past...not with notifications, but with other situations