Beta Release: XamarinVS 4.0.1, Cycle 6 – Service Release 1

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Please direct any discussion about known issues or possible bugs to the main release announcement in the General forum:

Beta Release: Xamarin 4, Cycle 6 – Service Release 1

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University, Xamarin Moderator ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

Hi,

I upgraded to this version as my hotfix version was becoming unstable for iOS debugging (VS2013 crashing and losing my work)

The debugger now doesn't see changes you make in PCL's when debugging an Android project (this bug has persisted in iOS for ages). You have to clean the entire solution and rebuild which is an utter pain. I can't go back to stable as iOS build host constantly loses connectivity.

This stuff drives me nuts at times.

edit:

This doesn't affect all projects, it seems to affect projects created with an older version of Xamarin so there is probably some attribute in the csproj file that is causing this behavior :neutral:

edited January 2016

I believe this cycle has the fix for not seeing your provisioning profile but it doesn't seem to work. When I select our company as an Identity, all you see in provisioning profiles is 'Automatic'.

This essentially means you have to pick through build log to see if it signed with the correct profile. This all worked pre Xamarin 4.

This needs to work for the stable release.

edited January 2016

The android debugger PCL issue to Genymotion and hardware was solved by overwriting the config section below with the same section from a newer csproj file:

<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|AnyCPU' ">
        <DebugSymbols>true</DebugSymbols>
        <DebugType>full</DebugType>
        <Optimize>false</Optimize>
        <OutputPath>bin\Debug\</OutputPath>
        <DefineConstants>DEBUG;TRACE</DefineConstants>
        <ErrorReport>prompt</ErrorReport>
        <WarningLevel>4</WarningLevel>
        <AndroidUseSharedRuntime>True</AndroidUseSharedRuntime>
        <AndroidLinkMode>None</AndroidLinkMode>
        <AndroidLinkSkip />
        <EmbedAssembliesIntoApk>False</EmbedAssembliesIntoApk>
        <BundleAssemblies>False</BundleAssemblies>
        <AndroidCreatePackagePerAbi>False</AndroidCreatePackagePerAbi>
        <AndroidSupportedAbis>armeabi,armeabi-v7a,x86</AndroidSupportedAbis>
        <AndroidStoreUncompressedFileExtensions />
        <MandroidI18n />
        <Debugger>Xamarin</Debugger>
        <AndroidEnableMultiDex>False</AndroidEnableMultiDex>
        <DevInstrumentationEnabled>True</DevInstrumentationEnabled>
        <JavaMaximumHeapSize>1G</JavaMaximumHeapSize>
      </PropertyGroup>

Changed to

<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|AnyCPU' ">
        <DebugSymbols>true</DebugSymbols>
        <DebugType>full</DebugType>
        <Optimize>false</Optimize>
        <OutputPath>bin\Debug\</OutputPath>
        <DefineConstants>DEBUG;TRACE</DefineConstants>
        <ErrorReport>prompt</ErrorReport>
        <WarningLevel>4</WarningLevel>
        <AndroidUseSharedRuntime>True</AndroidUseSharedRuntime>
        <AndroidLinkMode>None</AndroidLinkMode>
        <AndroidLinkSkip />
        <EmbedAssembliesIntoApk>False</EmbedAssembliesIntoApk>
        <BundleAssemblies>False</BundleAssemblies>
        <AndroidCreatePackagePerAbi>False</AndroidCreatePackagePerAbi>
        <AndroidSupportedAbis>armeabi,armeabi-v7a,x86,arm64-v8a</AndroidSupportedAbis>
        <AndroidStoreUncompressedFileExtensions />
        <MandroidI18n />
        <JavaMaximumHeapSize>1G</JavaMaximumHeapSize>
        <Debugger>Xamarin</Debugger>
        <AndroidEnableMultiDex>False</AndroidEnableMultiDex>
        <DevInstrumentationEnabled>True</DevInstrumentationEnabled>
      </PropertyGroup>

Even though the same "supported architecture" checkboxes were enabled in both projects the settings were different. I don't know if this was causing the problem but it works now.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited January 2016

Please do file quick bug reports for any of these issues that you would like the QA and engineering teams to investigate. The initial reports can be as simple as copy-pasting the exact text of your forum comment in to the long description (preferably one issue per bug of course :)).

Thanks in advance!

Additional notes

• Provisioning profiles: For reference, the precise test case that was fixed for provisioning profiles was my own specific distribution provisioning profiles Bug 36117. That candidate fix seems to have been successful in allowing XamarinVS to display all the provisioning profiles that Xamarin Studio shows on Mac. If you determine that the issue you're seeing needs investigation, I'd recommend mentioning briefly on the new bug report you file whether the provisioning profiles appear correctly in Xamarin Studio on Mac. Of course, do also feel free to email in via "Business & Enterprise Support" for additional discussion if you'd like before filing the bug.

• "VS2013 crashing": Including (a) the approximate steps on the bug report used to reproduce the problem (for example something like: "it happens approximately once every few hours when I'm stopping and starting debugging a lot working on a moderately large app") and (b) any crash logs as well as the Xamarin logs from "Help -> Xamarin -> Zip Logs (last 7 days)" would be excellent. (In case it doesn't show up in the Xamarin logs, you might even be able to get the managed stack trace for the crash if you can reproduce the problem while having another VS instance attached to the main VS instance for debugging. See this KB article for the approximate steps, though in this case you won't need to explicitly pause the main instance of VS since it should automatically pause when the exception happens.)

Thanks again!

EDIT Jan 27: Correct a typo.

@BrendanZagaeski

Regarding the studio timeout, the team are aware of it. I have no idea if the fix was rolled up into the Beta but regardless the iOS build connectivity is patchy in the beta, it seems to lose the device list an connectivity like it did before Adrian give me that hotfix, I don't see the need to fill in the bug as they are aware of the issue and have all my logs.
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/58959/vs2013-loses-connection-to-ios-build-host-regularly#latest

The beta solves the VS2013 random crashing so that's okay.

The PCL changes not been seen continues to affect at least one project, I can probably supply a repo project that shows this behavior but this all takes time.

• Ad-Hoc profiles
      In XamStudio in iOS I can see the correct ad-hoc profile belonging to the app identifier, in Visual Studio you don't see it,all you get is 'Automatic'. It does seem to get the correct Ad-Hoc provisioning but you'd never know it, you have to trawl through the build log to see what it used to sign the IPA file. At the very least the VS drop down could be changed to be 'Automatic: {Ad-Hoc profile name}' or something, the UX experience is inconsistent over both platforms.
  • BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The results with your specific provisioning profiles are definitely an interesting extra scenario that engineers would like to investigate (because each of my specific individual provisioning profiles from Bug 36117 does now appear correctly in the drop-down menu when I'm using Cycle 6 – Service Release 1). In case it might be more convenient than filing a bug directly for your specific variant of that issue, definitely feel free to send a quick email to "Business & Enterprise Support" when you get a chance so the Support Team can take care of getting the issue filed with the engineers. (And the same goes for the issue with the PCL changes too, if you like.) Thanks in advance!

I will now close this thread to direct further discussion and updates about this release onto the new Stable release announcement for "Cycle 6 – Service Release 1":

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/59995/stable-release-xamarin-4-cycle-6-service-release-1/p1

This discussion has been closed.