Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin

Mobile Connectivity tools

We're developing a mobile app for business users who will be in areas with potentially spotty data access. We want our users to be able to view and edit task lists stored on a server with as little interruption as possible. Are there tools to handle these sort of connectivity scenarios? How much time disconnected can they handle?

(Feel free to ask clarifying questions; we're new to mobile development and don't know what we don't know yet!)

• AdamPAdamP AUUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@GensysCR - if you want offline access you will need to have a local database to store the information. Everything will work off the local DB and then a background process will keep that sync'd with a server over an API.

Brief visual at Local Repository Section (http://www.xamarinhelp.com/repository-layer-day-8/)

Depending upon the complexity of it (i.e you have a low complexity requirements), you could use Azure Mobile Client Services, they have a office data sync SDK. (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/mobile-services-windows-store-dotnet-get-started-offline-data/)

Generally it involves having a local SQLite database and syncing to a server.

• GensysCRGensysCR USUniversity ✭✭

OK, thanks! That gives us a good place to start.

What about Zumero? Any idea how that compares to the Azure Mobile stuff?

• SmathsSmaths USMember ✭✭

@AdamP Thanks for those links!

@GensysCR - I haven't used or even heard of Zumero until now. I tend to stick with the bigger players just because they tend to be around to push things forward and the community tends to be larger. When it comes to most companies, if there is a large community around it, it tends to be much easier to get things resolved.

But thats just from one perspective, their technology could be far superior, I have just never used it, nor heard of it.

• GensysCRGensysCR USUniversity ✭✭

OK, fair enough. Do you know of any other big player to consider aside from Azure Mobile Client Services? As I understand it, that only works with an Azure database, which doesn't work for us because we've already got a standard Microsoft SQL Server database that we want to access.

@GensysCR - Not off the top of my head. I would be considering rolling my own, which is what I did anyway. Do you have an existing API?

Also I believe that you can get AMS to work with your own database, if you add in additional columns to each table, Deleted(bit), Created(datetime) and Version (timestamp) if my memory serves me. Then just point it there.

The AMS API is just a plain API that sends and receives data using REST standards, so you should be able to run it outside of Azure as well. All hypothetical here, I haven't actually tried it.