Brand new to CocosSharp. Totally lost with 1.7.0-pre1

So just starting to play around with CocosSharp. Just trying to go though the tutorials and totally lost at the moment. Think this is mostly due to the new 1.7.0-pre1 changes.

I am using the CocosSharp templates to create a project. These are Version 1.5.0.1 As per forums.xamarin.com/discussion/30701/cocossharp-project-templates-for-visual-studio

However when I create a new CocosSharp project (either iOS, Android, or a Shared), it seems like the templates are wrong. For example, my Droid MainActivity is derived from "Activity".

I can build and run the apps on iOS and Android, but that where things stop flowing along.

I have tried to open the samples but I can't seem to get them to compile. Not sure what is going on, but NuGet won't seem to allow me to install 1.6.2.

Basically, just not sure where to start. Finding all sorts of conflicting "getting started". Not using Xamarin Forms.

Just want to get though the Bouncing Ball and Going Bananas tutorials. Just need help with getting the basic iOS AppDelegate and the Android MainActivity sorted out. Just to run the basic "Hello World" in Portrait mode with the proper screen size.

So, 2 things that you guys can help me with.

1) Should I use 1.7.0-pre1 or should I use an earlier build. I would rather just learn it the new way if possible.
2) Is there a particular post or tutorial that will guide me thought actually creating the Bouncing Ball tutorial (iOS and Android). Actually, just to get the screen going would be great.

Thanks. I suspect this will help some other Nobs too.

• BenLevy.4265BenLevy.4265 USMember ✭✭

Just a note. Did try to download the 1.6 templates. Could not install them in VS 2015. Also tried to build the GitHub project templates. Got errors. Looks like the ones on GitHub are not for VS 2015.

Update.

I was able to manually install the 1.6 templates (well just the one I wanted) and get everything working as I wanted.

If anyone is interested in using the 1.6 templates in VS 2015 let me know if the steps below don't work for you.

In short:

• Get the templates from GitHub. This is the one I used: https://github.com/mono/CocosSharp/tree/master/ProjectTemplates/Templates/StarterTemplates/Mobile/Template
    • Replace the MarkerFelt-22.xnb in the iOS project with the correct one. (The one included is not for iOS).
    • (Optional) Edit the EmptyProject.Mobile.vstempate file (Name and/or Description) so that I can easily find this template
    • Zip up the contents of the "Template" folder (Zip name does not matter)
    • Copy it to "C:\Users\ Ben\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Templates\ProjectTemplates" (VS 2015 Project Templates ** Use your user name!)
    • Copy "CocosSharp.PCL.Shared.1.6.2.0.nupkg" to : C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\Extensions\y2urpawu.vrt\Packages

I am not sure where "y2urpawu.vrt" came from. I think this is from the VS installed templates (for 1.7)
    You can skip the last step. VS will bitch about not finding the NuGet package. Just see see the path it is looking for it in and place the nupkg in there. (or just say OK and then add using NuGet package manager).

• RamiTabbaraRamiTabbara AUMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Ben,

1.7.0.0 is still a prerelease and we will be incrementally updating the documentation and samples leading up to the stable release.

In the meantime, I would recommend reading the guide outlining the changes introduced by 1.7.0.0 here.

Rami,

Thanks. I did read though that. There is a lot of info to take in. Been making some good headway with 1.6.2 now that I am up and running.