Xamarin for Android not working "Android SDK" not found

kkknetkkknet USMember, University

Hi Everyone,

I am using Xamarin Studio on Mac OSX.

After multiple failures of Xamarin installer, I manually installed the packages in the below order. Now, iOS is working. But Android is not working.

1. Mono MDK Framework
  2. Android SDK
  3. Xamarin Studio
  4. Xamarin.Android
    Xamarin.iOS

When I run Android code it says "Android SDK" not found.

Getting the below error while setting the Android SDK locaiton and Java SDK location in preferences in Xamarin Studio.

""/Users/kkk/.config/xbuild" " folder does not exist in my Mac.

Could someone please help. Thanks in Advance.

Configuration

Xamarin Studio
Version 4.0.13 (build 38)
Installation UUID: bf3dde68-67aa-4684-9b09-6f8130e23166
Runtime:
Mono 3.2.3 ((no/8d3b4b7)
GTK+ 2.24.20 theme: xxxx
GTK# (2.12.0.0)
Package version: 302030000

Apple Developer Tools
Xcode 5.0 (3332.25)
Build 5A1413

Xamarin.Mac
Xamarin.Mac: Not Installed

Xamarin.Android
Version: 4.8.3
Android SDK: Not found

Xamarin.iOS
Version: 7.0.2.7 (Starter Edition)
Hash: 57edee2
Branch:
Build date: 2013-04-10 18:05:51-0400

Build Information
Release ID: 400130038
Git revision: 07afec667f7be5d0ee511eb7115bbac6377fbae8
Build date: 2013-09-24 08:53:29+0000
Xamarin addins: 61140345a5b109633a94409edcbc7a4c19a425c6

Operating System
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Darwin kkk-MacBook-Pro.local 12.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.5.0
Sun Sep 29 13:33:47 PDT 2013
root:xnu-2050.48.12~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

ERROR

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/Users/kkk/.config/xbuild" is denied.
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectoriesInternal (System.String path) [0x0006c] in /private/tmp/source/bockbuild-xamarin/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-3.2.3/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:116
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory (System.String path) [0x000a4] in /private/tmp/source/bockbuild-xamarin/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-3.2.3/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Directory.cs:80
at Xamarin.AndroidTools.AndroidSdkUnix.GetUnixConfigFile () [0x00028] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.0.13-branch/07afec66/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/external/androidtools/Xamarin.AndroidTools/Sdks/AndroidSdkUnix.cs:174
at Xamarin.AndroidTools.AndroidSdkUnix.SetPreferredAndroidSdkPath (System.String path) [0x0000a] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.0.13-branch/07afec66/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/external/androidtools/Xamarin.AndroidTools/Sdks/AndroidSdkUnix.cs:116
at Xamarin.AndroidTools.AndroidSdk.SetPreferredAndroidSdkPath (System.String path) [0x00007] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.0.13-branch/07afec66/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/external/androidtools/Xamarin.AndroidTools/AndroidSdk.cs:160
at MonoDevelop.MonoDroid.Gui.MonoDroidSdkSettingsWidget.ApplyChanges () [0x00007] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.0.13-branch/07afec66/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/Gui/MonoDroidSdkSettings.cs:199
at MonoDevelop.MonoDroid.Gui.MonoDroidSdkSettings.ApplyChanges () [0x00007] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.0.13-branch/07afec66/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/Gui/MonoDroidSdkSettings.cs:48
at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.Dialogs.OptionsDialog.ApplyChanges () [0x00051] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.0.13-branch/07afec66/source/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.Dialogs/OptionsDialog.cs:421
at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.Dialogs.OptionsDialog.OnButtonOkClicked (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00012] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.0.13-branch/07afec66/source/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.Dialogs/OptionsDialog.cs:696
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (System.Reflection.MonoMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00054] in /private/tmp/source/bockbuild-xamarin/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-3.2.3/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:230
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00069] in /private/tmp/source/bockbuild-xamarin/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-3.2.3/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:238
at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in /private/tmp/source/bockbuild-xamarin/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-3.2.3/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:114
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl (System.Object[] args) [0x000d5] in /private/tmp/source/bockbuild-xamarin/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-3.2.3/mcs/class/corlib/System/Delegate.cs:424
at System.MulticastDelegate.DynamicInvokeImpl (System.Object[] args) [0x00018] in /private/tmp/source/bockbuild-xamarin/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-3.2.3/mcs/class/corlib/System/MulticastDelegate.cs:72
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvoke (System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in /private/tmp/source/bockbuild-xamarin/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-3.2.3/mcs/class/corlib/System/Delegate.cs:398
at GLib.Signal.ClosureInvokedCB (System.Object o, GLib.ClosureInvokedArgs args) [0x00000] in :0
at GLib.SignalClosure.Invoke (GLib.ClosureInvokedArgs args) [0x00000] in :0
at GLib.SignalClosure.MarshalCallback (IntPtr raw_closure, IntPtr return_val, UInt32 n_param_vals, IntPtr param_values, IntPtr invocation_hint, IntPtr marshal_data) [0x00000] in :0

• kkknetkkknet USMember, University

Solved the issue. Changed .config folder permissions and created xbuild folder.
    It automatically took the Java SDK path and created monodroid-config.xml. I updated Android SDK location. Now Xamarin Studio works for Android apps as well.

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

That's strange, do you know why the .config folder had restricted access?

no idea. I have the admin rights also. It killed 10 days of my time installing xamarin..

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Sorry about that, unfortunately we can't automatically handle unexpected problems in the environment. It's likely that you ran some other program in the past that gave that folder bad permissions.

• EnguirlandedEnguirlanded FRMember
    edited November 2013

Hello

For my part, under Windows the installer has some problems too.

And I still can not make the Studio work with Android since the options panel does not memorize the path of the SDKs. It accepts my paths, but when I go back to the panel, fields are blank.

And that is after one complete day of frustrating installation trials.
    (Actually I had to install the software manually as seen here: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/1613/xamarin-installation-not-working/p3).

@mhutch If Xamarin installer can provide the proper error message instead of it says "No errors reported " "can not find Android SDK path". Where as the actual studio.dmg will provide the error when we set the path manually that "Access is denied".

Happy that I got it set up finally.

• Dear kkknet,

I also spend lot of time installing and re-installing the xamarin studio.

Where did you update the Android SDK location path.

Could you mention the exact path and location and file.

Thanks in advance.