Xamarin - So much promise, such a disappointment

TorbenRavnTorbenRavn DKMember

Back in june I started developing in Xamarin and it seemed promising.

But since then, especially the build and deploying for simulator and device has become painfully slow, 4-5 minutes pr. build is just plain unacceptable, it is costing me HOURS of expensive time each day, and I can spot several other developers here in the forums with the same issues, both with ideal hardware setups and simple apps with little code.

Furthermore the builds success is sort of random, one build can be successful the next (without changing code) will fail.

I am sorry, I can not use your tool, which seemed so promising, to serious customers who depends on me given them precise deadlines, which is impossible in Xamarins current state.

I know you are trying to solve something very complex, but the price of the software corresponds to the complexity of the task.

I will not return to your tool before the build times (specific for iOS) is below 1 minute. The build times does not differ even when I try to build a simple app with one view and one controller.

I will to turn to Swift for now, and hopefully you will fix the many issues with the platform, issues which is growing in mass in the forums with rapid speed.

• Andy_RobinsonAndy_Robinson ✭✭ GBUniversity ✭✭

Sorry that's been your experience but I can't agree with you. I've been using Xamarin full-time for 2 years and version 4 of Xamarin is a marked improvement on previous versions, especially in VS...

On my setup (VS2015, latest version of stable Xamarin) I don't see build times anything like this and I'm not using a particularly great PC. I just cleaned a (pretty complex) solution and rebuilt and it took less than a minute.

• bradleybertholdbradleyberthold ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

Our build times are pretty long too, takes about 3 minutes for a project we have that has lots of GUI. It's painful, I agree. But the ability to use C# is such an advantage I think it's worth it.

• TorbenRavnTorbenRavn DKMember

Glad to hear about your experience Andy, I really don't know why so many developers has these performance issues, it especially the builds for simulator or device that is "killing" me.

Bradley, agree, it is a huge advantage with C#, but tried out Swift today, and this was surprisingly flat learning curve compared to O/C and I am not happy to admit it, but the XCode interface builder is very stable and easy to use for the customers with tiny budgets.

• DerekBeattie.6675DerekBeattie.6675 ✭✭ US ✭✭

I've been using the VS Emulator for Android and have been happy with it.
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/features/msft-android-emulator-vs.aspx

• ThomasBurkhartThomasBurkhart ✭✭✭✭ DEMember ✭✭✭✭

Have you tried Xamarin Android Player? It's really fast, even on three year old PC
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/getting_started/installation/android-player/

• jkristiajkristia USMember
    edited December 2015

"deploying for simulator and device has become painfully slow, 4-5 minutes"

Is this for the iOS simulator or android (or both)?.
    I'm asking because I'm considering the indie license for WP / iOS development.

Thanks
    Jesper

• TorbenRavnTorbenRavn DKMember

Hey Jesper,
    I have only used the iOS simulator for now.

/Stefan

• SergiCzerkasowSergiCzerkasow ✭✭ USUniversity ✭✭
    edited January 2016

Hey there, do you have the ssd drive? or are you using the stock drive provided by apple?
    i have 2013 imac, and until i upgraded it to external ssd with thunderbolt - working with xamarin was just unbearable. But the issue was with the hardware and not with the actual app.

• ThomasBurkhartThomasBurkhart ✭✭✭✭ DEMember ✭✭✭✭

It really depends on your hardware. I just upgreated my PC with an M2-SSD and more memory. Together with the Android Player from Xamatin, it's really fast now.