Forum Xamarin.Android

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Support Package, Revision 13 support?

GerryHighGerryHigh USBeta ✭✭✭

Any ETA on this being added to Xamarin.Android? http://developer.android.com/tools/extras/support-library.html

It was just updated this week. I'd like to be able to use the navigation drawer.

Thanks,
Gerry

• ChrisHonselaarChrisHonselaar NLBeta ✭✭✭

Yessss, the drawer is back with official support! I did not know that. After SlidingDrawer was deprecated it seemed like we just had to roll our own. This is great.

Let's hope we can have access soon :D

• GerryHighGerryHigh USBeta ✭✭✭

I'll be interested to hear their response on this. Xamarin has been touting how quickly they get out Xamarin.iOS releases (typically the day of or next day of an iOS release which has been great, at least is you're on the release channel, not so if on Alpha).

Perhaps the Android story is not so clear.

• FZelleFZelle DEMember ✭✭✭

It is, but keep in mind that in other parts of the world this monday is a public holiday.

Any comments @jonp @topgenorth ?

• AdityaMehtaAdityaMehta USMember

Is there any update on this issue I could really use the navigation drawer for my upcoming client demo

• hachirokoohachirokoo AUMember

I am waiting for it as well or even an ETA.

Given the lack of response here, you might try wrapping the android-support-v4.jar yourself and then just importing the DrawerLayout namespaces, etc.

I've been too busy to look into it to see how hard it is to do but was also hoping that Xamarin would get it before I get to refactoring that part of my app.

If this is urgent for your project and you are on a plan with email support, I would suggest contacting Xamarin directly for an ETA.

One of Xamarin's main selling points is always having up-to-date support for the Google APIs, so they are definitely working on it.

<<
    One of Xamarin's main selling points is always having up-to-date support for the Google APIs, so they are definitely working on it.

>

While I've heard that for iOS in their talks (and they actually do live up to that) I haven't heard Xamarin touting that for Android (but perhaps I've just missed it).

Part of the same day release for iOS is probably due to iOS providing extended betas so that they have plenty of time to be ready. Not so much in the Android world.

It's prominently advertised on the Why Xamarin page:

Always up-to-date.
    Xamarin stays up-to-date with the latest APIs from Apple and Google.[..]

Then again, the same thought occured to me that Google does not have an early access plan for things like this, as Apple does. That would certainly make things more difficult for Xamarin. Weird, this would actually seem to be one of those things where the OS being open source should be an advantage.

Good point. But the rest of the text - "We released same-day support for iOS 5, iOS 6, and iOS 6.1."

All iOS, nothing on Android.

Ha! Yeah I was discreetly glossing over that bit to make my point :-P

But the overall message is clearly that they will stay up to date on the Android side of things as well. And this is one of Xamarin's main strengths - their binding methods are relatively straightforward and provide direct API access, whereas competing crossplatform products like Appcelerator cannot really make such promises.

• animaonlineanimaonline USMember

Any updates on that matter?

Quick update: had a chat with @Chrisntr, it is definitely on their radar and he is looking to get someone from the Xamdroid team to respond to this thread :)

@ChrisHonselaar the forums seem strangely quiet from Xamarin. The recent Android updates shouldn't just be on their radar, at least if they intend for iOS and Android to have a similar story. /cc @Chrisntr

edited May 2013

I hear what you're saying and share the sentiment. The other side of that story is that Xamarin as a startup company is crazy busy pumping out entire new technology stacks at breakneck speed, along with documentation, IDE tooling, organizing events, etc. I get dizzy just trying to imagine what it must be like to work for them at this time.

And I do find the Google Android team itself kind of lacking in many aspects of support - and this may be affecting the XamDroid team as well, I don't know.

Let's give Xamarin some time. It'll be awesome when we get it, and two weeks ago we never even knew it was coming at all :) (at least I sure didn't)

Yay! Thanks @jonp

Thanks! @jonp That is good news.

• AdityaMehtaAdityaMehta USMember

Awesome, thanks @jonp!

• StevenTheEvenStevenTheEven SEMember ✭✭✭

What rev was supported before?

• ChrisHardyChrisHardy GBForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Xamarin.Android 4.6.8 is out on the stable channel now - http://docs.xamarin.com/releases/android/xamarin.android_4/xamarin.android_4.6.8

edited June 2013

There we go.. Thanks, I think that's pretty darn responsive overall.

(Now let's go on the Titanium Appcelerator forum and gloat :-P)

Thanks @christntr. Any idea when this will hit the alpha channel in build 4.7.7? @jonp

Just saw that 4.7.7 is now out on the alpha channel. Thanks @jonp et al.

• I installed 4.6.8 and 4.7.7, updated my support library in the SDK to r13, but can't seem to cast a DrawerLayout to its mono object:

FindViewById(Resource.Id.drawer_layout) as DrawerLayout;

If I don't cast, I can see the object is of the proper type in the debugger. What could I be missing?

It works for me.

drawerLayout = FindViewById<Android.Support.V4.Widget.DrawerLayout>(Resource.Id.drawer_layout);

• @GerryHigh The generic overload works. Thanks!