Alpha Release: Xamarin.Android 6.0, Cycle 6 Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited November 2015 in Xamarin.Android

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the new RC2 announcement:
http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/55620/beta-release-cycle-6-feature-release-release-candidate-2/p1

Thanks for all your continued participation in the release candidate process!

Bug reports wanted!

Please file a bug for any new issue you find in these Cycle 6 versions that you would like the Xamarin team to investigate. This Alpha release is a chance to help ensure that the final Cycle 6 Stable release will work smoothly with your specific projects and environment.

Installing the Alpha and switching back to Stable

You can install this new Alpha version or switch back to the current Stable version by changing updater channels.

If you prefer, you can also use a special version of the standalone combined Xamarin installer that automatically downloads all of the Alpha packages and installs them. Using this installer is equivalent to switching to the Alpha channel, except that your updater channel preference can be left at "Stable." See the release blog post for the link for Mac and Windows.

Known issue in the standalone installer

Non-public Bug 35425 - [Standalone Alpha installer] Mac-only: on some systems the standalone Alpha installer might crash on the second installation screen during some attempts to run the installer. Workaround: wait approximately 10 seconds on the first screen of the installer before clicking "Continue".

Release info

Windows

• Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.0.1649.msi (90e1af2)

Mac

• mono-android-6.0.0-27.pkg (9d7074e)

Release notes: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/android/xamarin.android_6/xamarin.android_6.0/

Release Blog including estimated timeline to Stable: https://releases.xamarin.com/alpha-release-cycle-6-preview-update-release-candidate-1/

See the release blog and "Xamarin Release Cycles" for more information about "cycles," "service releases," and "feature based releases."

Compatibility notes

• [Xamarin Studio] [XamarinVS] [iOS] [Android] Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated. The Cycle 6 builds now require OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

EDIT Oct 30: Update for new Alpha builds!

• Martijn00Martijn00 Martijn Van Dijk NLInsider, University ✭✭✭

As also reported in the previous alpha build, i am hit by: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=34178 I think this could be a blocker because all non-English users are hit by this.

Further more i noticed there is no support for UWP projects.

One thing more i would like to see in the about screen is which Nuget version is used in XS.

After trying to run the app on alpha channel, it closes on startup with this error message:

Assertion at /Users/builder/data/lanes/2098/f94dc5b2/source/mono/mono/metadata/class.c:5078, condition 'class' not met
    Fatal signal 6 (SIGABRT) at 0x000005bf (code=-6), thread 1471

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited January 2016

@Martijn00, many thanks for the extra notification about Bug 34178. I have adjusted the target milestone and increased the priority of the bug accordingly to make sure the developers investigate it during the pre-Stable testing.

Further more i noticed there is no support for UWP projects.

So far I myself haven't had an occasion to experiment with UWP projects. But at first glance, it sounds like the best place for this feature request would be http://xamarin.uservoice.com.

One thing more i would like to see in the about screen is which Nuget version is used in XS.

Note that XS uses its own implementation of the NuGet features, but please do feel free to file an enhancement request against the Xamarin Studio NuGet support. The developers might be able to provide some additional details about how Xamarin Studio's implementation compares to the Visual Studio extension.

Assertion at /Users/builder/data/lanes/2098/f94dc5b2/source/mono/mono/metadata/class.c:5078, condition 'class' not met

I ran a search in Bugzilla for this error, and there were no results, so if you get a chance, please do file a quick bug for it. The initial report can be as simple as just pasting your forum comment verbatim into the description. Of course, if by chance you might also be able to zip up and attach test case that you that demonstrates the problem, and add a short description of the steps to reproduce, that will likely save some back-and-forth on the bug report. Thanks in advance!

Edit January 6, 2016

It was eventually determined that the "condition 'class' not met" error was caused by Bug 36514. That bug report now includes one way to work around the issue.

@BrendanZagaeski I've created a new idea: http://xamarin.uservoice.com/forums/144858-xamarin-product-suggestions/suggestions/10096935-support-for-windows-uwp-project-type-in-xamarin-st

I knew about Nuget (see conversation with @mattward ), and the only thing i would like is to show which version of Nuget is supported in Xamarin Studio, in the about dialog. For example the current version is 2.8.5.x.

I've investigated that last bug a bit more, and it seems that this only happens when using the Android support v23.0.1.1 packages in combination with the alpha channel release. I have to investigate this a bit more to see if i can pin it down to something.

• NapZoomNapZoom Nap Zoom CAMember ✭✭

Just upgraded to the Release Candidate and getting this in my Google Fit IntentService class

[] * Assertion at /Users/builder/data/lanes/2098/f94dc5b2/source/mono/mono/mini/debugger-agent.c:2587, condition `res' not met
    [libc] Fatal signal 6 (SIGABRT), code -6 in tid 31229 (IntentService[n)

@BrendanZagaeski @NapZoom I've looked into this a bit more, and so far this seems to happen random. On one PC i get this at startup, on another when navigating to a screen. On device on another screen. Could this be a bug in mono or something? A change in 4.2?

• NapZoomNapZoom Nap Zoom CAMember ✭✭

If I run the app without the debugger, the app runs fine and works as expected. I haven't tried it on another PC yet.

• DerekBeattie.6675DerekBeattie.6675 Derek Beattie US ✭✭

It seems that any changes made to layouts requires a rebuild all or the change doesn't get deployed. Anyone else experience this?

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited October 2015

[] * Assertion at /Users/builder/data/lanes/2098/f94dc5b2/source/mono/mono/mini/debugger-agent.c:2587, condition `res' not met

For bookkeeping I will add a link here to the corresponding bug Bug 34750. Thanks again for the reports!

changes made to layouts requires a rebuild all or the change doesn't get deployed

I took a quick try at reproducing this using a new from template project in Xamarin Studio on Mac, deploying to the Xamarin Android Player. For those conditions, each new UI element that I dropped into the Main.axml layout did appear as expected after choosing "Run -> Start Debugging" (without rebuilding all). If anyone has any additional clues about ways to reproduce this problem please do file a quick bug. Thanks!

• BenjaminGmeinerBenjaminGmeiner Benjamin Gmeiner USMember ✭✭

Any idea when the next release will be? https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=34750 is a real showstopper and I will have to switch back to stable channel (which I would prefer not not).

• JeremyKolbJeremyKolb Jeremy Kolb USMember ✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski try it in Visual Studio. I think that in general issues like this seem to crop up in VS more than XS.

Thanks everyone for the bug reports so far on the Cycle 6 "Release Candidate" version 0!

Cycle 6 "Release Candidate" version 1 has been published to the Alpha channel today, and the standalone installers have been updated accordingly.

I have updated the version numbers in the first post in the thread and updated the bug-filing link for these new versions. Please continue to submit any bugs you might find. Many thanks!

• shribitsshribits Shritama Chakraborty AUMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski

With Xamarin.forms
    I am getting an error only on android platform: Unable to activate instance of type Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.ListViewAdapter from native handle 0x8f500041 (key_handle 0x4214b358).

It works fine on iOS.

http://shribits.blogspot.com.au/2015/09/how-to-create-custom-viewcell-in.html) . This command navigates to a new page (I am using xLabs MVVM). In this page I have Entry field. Taping on this entry field results in this error.

Xamarin Studio Version: 5.10 (build 860)
    Xamarin Android : 6.0.0.27 (Business Edition)
    Xamarin iOS: 9.2.1.21 (Business Edition)
    Xamarin.Forms: 1.5.1.6471

[MonoDroid] UNHANDLED EXCEPTION:
    [MonoDroid] System.NotSupportedException: Unable to activate instance of type Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.ListViewAdapter from native handle 8f700041 ---> System.MissingMethodException: No constructor found for Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.ListViewAdapter::.ctor(System.IntPtr, Android.Runtime.JniHandleOwnership) ---> Java.Interop.JavaLocationException: Exception of type 'Java.Interop.JavaLocationException' was thrown.
    [MonoDroid] Java.Lang.Error: Exception of type 'Java.Lang.Error' was thrown.
    [MonoDroid] --- End of managed exception stack trace ---
    [MonoDroid] java.lang.Error: Java callstack:
    [MonoDroid] at md5282f1122c1313907b9bf274dd2c2f344.ListViewAdapter.n_getCount(Native Method)
    [MonoDroid] at md5282f1122c1313907b9bf274dd2c2f344.ListViewAdapter.getCount(ListViewAdapter.java:49)
    [MonoDroid] at android.widget.HeaderViewListAdapter.getCount(HeaderViewListAdapter.java:132)
    [MonoDroid] at android.widget.AdapterView.setFocusable(AdapterView.java:688)
    [MonoDroid] at md5282f1122c1313907b9bf274dd2c2f344.ListViewAdapter.n_getView(Native Method)
    [MonoDroid] at md5282f1122c1313907b9bf274dd2c2f344.ListViewAdapter.getView(ListViewAdapter.java:41)
    [MonoDroid] at android.widget.HeaderViewListAdapter.getView(HeaderViewListAdapter.java:220)
    [MonoDroid] at android.widget.AbsListView.obtainView(AbsListView.java:2450)
    [MonoDroid] at android.widget.ListView.makeAndAddView(ListView.java:1891)
    [MonoDroid] at android.widget.ListView.fillDown(ListView.java:792)
    [MonoDroid] at android.widget.ListView.fillSpecific(ListView.java:1450)
    [MonoDroid] at android.widget.ListView.layoutChildren(ListView.java:1709)
    [MonoDroid] at android.widget.AbsListView.onLayout(AbsListView.java:2275)
    [MonoDroid] at android.view.View.layout(View.java:14969)
    [MonoDroid] at android.view.ViewGroup.layout(ViewGroup.java:4656)
    [MonoDroid] at android.support.v4.widget.SwipeRefreshLayout.onLayout(SwipeRefreshLayout.java:581)
    [MonoDroid] at md5282f1122c1313907b9bf274dd2c2f344.ListViewRenderer.n_onLayout(Native Method)
    [MonoDroid] at md5282f1122c1313907b9bf274dd2c2f344.ListViewRenderer.onLayout(ListViewRenderer.java:64)
    [MonoDroid] at com.xamarin.forms.platform.android.FormsViewGroup.measureAndLayout(FormsViewGroup.java:29)
    [MonoDroid] at md5282f1122c1313907b9bf274dd2c2f344.VisualElementRenderer_1.n_onLayout(Native Method)
    [MonoDroid] at md5282f1122c1313907b9bf274dd2c2f344.VisualElementRenderer_1.onLayout(VisualElementRenderer_1.java:48)
    [MonoDroid] at com.xamarin.forms.platform.android.FormsViewGroup.measureAndLayout(FormsViewGroup.java:29)
    [MonoDroid] at md5282f1122c1313907b9bf274dd2c2f344.VisualElementRenderer_1.n_onLayout(Native Method)

@shribits, at first glance that error sounds like it might not be related to the "Cycle 6 Release Candidate 1" builds specifically. To test that, you can downgrade to the current Stable versions by changing updater channels.

Thanks in advance!

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the new RC2 announcement:
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/55620/beta-release-cycle-6-feature-release-release-candidate-2/p1

Thanks for all your continued participation in the release candidate process!

This discussion has been closed.