Scanner Event

Hello,

I am working on creating a Xamarin.Forms application for Android and I need to incorporate a barcode scanner into the application. I am using an MVVM approach with XAML on the front end.

The road block I am hitting is that I need the ability to trigger the scanner when it isn't focused on an entry field. Is this possible in Xamarin and if so, could someone point me in the right direction?

Answers

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to read a barcode with camera, you can try zxing component. I think it works also with mvvm

• MarkVaughnMarkVaughn USMember

I won't be able to use the camera with the app I am making.

So do you have an integrate scanner? Which product are you developing for?
    Usually integrated scanner has his own API

I have a scanner api that basically has an OnScan event handler.

And does it work? Which is the problem to use this api? It should receive some data then you have to set your Entry or Label with data you have received.

I haven't gotten it to work. Right now I've switched focus to try and create a behavior that changes the completed event into a command. I'm on the Anroid platform.

@MarkVaughn are you sure that your api is compatible with xamati

sorry... Is compatible with Xamarin products? Which api are you using? Which terminal?

It is probably not. Do you know of any that are?

Mark, which is the terminal are you using?

Not sure what you mean by terminal. I'm using Windows 8 and developing a Xamarin Forms app for Android 23 (6.0) minimum of 15 (4.0.3).

Terminal = device. Which device are you using for barcode reading? A Motorola?.... Each device has his own sdk for barcode reader. For example if you use Motorola tc70 there is an sdk for Xamarin android.

I don't actually have a device yet, but I will probably be using a general scan scanner.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to do some more research and may ask another question in a few weeks.