This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:
This preview release of Xamarin Studio introduces a new type system based on Roslyn and other important changes such as a revamped project model, a new visual style, and better support for F#. We want to show those features in an early preview since they significantly change the way Xamarin Studio works.
Xamarin Studio 126.96.36.19968 - Preview 4
This post will be updated when a new preview release is made. There is a release notes page with more detailed information about Xamarin Studio 6.0.
NOTE: Items marked with the tag [UPDATE] are changes done since the last preview release.
What is new?
Xamarin Studio's type system is now based on Roslyn, Microsoft's open source .NET compiler platform. Even though this is an internal change, it has several practical benefits:
- The behavior of code completion is more accurate and will work much better when a file contains syntax or semantic errors.
- Refactoring operations cover more cases and are more reliable.
- C# 6.0 is now fully supported for code completion and refactoring operations.
- The formatting engine got replaced and it now defaults to the Visual Studio format. Indenting with spaces is easier and feels like tab based indenting.
- Typing flow got improved and is now more fluid.
- Code completion import symbol support greatly improved - will no longer interfere with the typing flow and it doesn't have a performance impact.
- [UPDATED] C# 6 support on Windows.
- [UPDATED] The new formatting engine is now compatible with Visual Studio, but does not support custom formatting schemes from prior versions of Xamarin Studio because of the changed engine & option model.
New Project Model
The new model has a deeper integration with MSBuild, and can can handle projects that take advantage of advanced MSBuild features. Here are some features that are now supported:
- Conditional file and reference inclusion are now properly handled.
- Project files can import other projects, and properties will be properly loaded.
- Project files are evaluated before loading, so properties can be used in item definitions, and will be properly replaced.
- The extension model has changed, and will make it easier to implement add-ins that need to directly manipulate MSBuild files.
- Projects are build in parallel when possible. This should speed up the build time of solutions with many projects.
- Xamarin Studio is now much better at handling projects generated in Visual Studio, and will not make unnecessary changes to the project files when saving.
- [UPDATED] Added support for different architectures of Mono so user can pick 32bit or 64bit version to start debugging.
- [UPDATED] Support for MSBuild tools v14.
[UPDATED] New visual style and Dark theme
In this release we are presenting the new look of Xamarin Studio. It has a more modern style, a dark variant and many visual tweaks to make Xamarin Studio more pleasant to use. Here are the highlights:
- 5727 new icons! (including light, dark and selection variants),
- new Windows toolbar and improved menu appearance,
- new dark IDE theme,
- fine-tuned light IDE theme,
- appearance fixes to Code Completion and Code Hint popovers,
- fixes in New Project Dialog and Welcome page,
- the drop down button in the solution pad is gone – the context menu can be used instead.
We have been busy improving our F# support, and we are happy to report that we are addressing many limitations in our F# support, in this release:
- Document outline pad now available for F# files.
- Completion lists are now topologically sorted.
- Support for F#4.
- Syntax highlighting is now available on Keywords.
- F# PCL template now included.
- Code navigation improvements: Goto base type, Find Overloads, and Find derived Types.
- Tooltip improvements, all right hand side -> now align.
- F# compiler parsing improvements to speed up editing.
- Added type constraints on generic type tooltips, F# type constraints are now shown in tooltips.
- Global F# symbol search, you can now search for F# symbols from the search bar at the rop right.
- Fake integration (preview). You can access fake build scripts by typing "FAKE" into the search bar, any FAKE tasks will be displayed in the results and can be executed.
- Syntax highlighting in F# interactive.
- [UPDATED] Support for Portable Class Libraries.
- [UPDATED] Support for Shared Projects.
- [UPDATED] Xamarin.Forms templates.
- [UPDATED] Highlighting improvements for mutable variables.
- [UPDATED] Code navigation improvements: Goto base type, Find Overloads, and Find derived types.
- [UPDATED] Support for F#4
[UPDATED] 64bit build on Mac
This release of Xamarin Studio for Mac is a 64bit application, so you’ll be able to take advantage of all the memory of your system when working with large solutions.
- Improved support for pre-release NuGet packages
- Support for watchOS and tvOS
- New Google Play Services package selector.
- Several fixes and improvements in Android projects
- Better error recovery with invalid XML.
- Improved user themes handling.
- Improved toolbox performance.
- Support for On-Demand Resources
- Improved Assets Editor
- New HttpClient stack selector
- New SSL/TLS implementation build option
- iOS designer improvements
[UPDATED] watchOS 2 and tvOS
This release introduces support for watchOS 2 and tvOS when combined with a preview of Xamarin.iOS that supports it. We have added new project types, templates and file templates to support those frameworks as well as a wizard to guide you through the setup.
[UPDATED] Mac: Binding Project support
Available for previews of Xamarin.Mac with binding support. This feature has been available on iOS projects for a long time, and we have finally brought it to the Mac.
ASP.NET support has been greatly improved. There is a new project wizard for creating Web Forms and MVC projects and all templates have been reviewed and updated.
[UPDATED] Text Editor
- Navigational link support
- Regular expression support improvements
Even more improvements and fixes!
Please check the release notes page to know more about what's new in Xamarin Studio 6.0.
Bug reports wanted!
File a bug against Xamarin Studio
Please file a bug for any new issue you find in this preview that you would like the Xamarin team to investigate. If you have any comment or suggestion you can also post to this thread. This preview is a chance to help ensure that the final release of Xamarin Studio with Roslyn will work smoothly with your specific projects and environment.
Going back to stable
After installing the preview, you'll get an update notification for the stable channel (or whatever channel you are following). You can at any time install that update to go back to the stable release.
- [iOS] This release requires Xcode 7 or higher.
- Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated, this release requires OS X 10.10 Yosemite.