Xamarin Android Player crashes on opening (Mac)

This began happening in the middle of a Dev session and now after all Xamarin updates and uninstall/reinstall XAP, same result. Anyone else having this behavior or a fix? Thanks!

• MarkSimpsonMarkSimpson USMember ✭✭✭

Hi @PeterDouglas

Does the Device Manager app open? If so, can you go to Help -> Generate Bug Report. This will collate various relevant logs and place them in a zip archive on your desktop. Can you upload that file to here so we can take a look at what's going on.

Does the Player display any error messages or do anything odd before it crashes, can you also confirm which version of OS X you are running?

• PeterDouglasPeterDouglas USUniversity ✭✭

Hey Mark,
    Thanks for responding. The XAP Device Manager only opens for a split second then disappears, so it doesn't present an opportunity to generate a bug report. I'm looking for a link to yesterday's XAP update, hoping that it may solve this. I'm not dead in the water, my workaround is to use a real device. OS X is at 10.10.5.

Hi Peter

A direct link to the latest version is http://xamarin-android-player.s3.amazonaws.com/player/mac/0.5.6/XAP-Beta-15.36-v0.5.6.dmg

The only issue I've seen similar to yours was with OS X 10.11, related to the rootless / SIP and VirtualBox 4.3.xx.

If the new version doesn't fix things, can you have a look in ~/Library/Logs/XAP and upload the newest DeviceManager logs - they should help pinpoint what is going wrong.

Mac log says:
    9/15/15 8:57:31.508 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[7519]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook
    9/15/15 8:57:33.742 AM taskgated[95] no application identifier provided, can't use provisioning profiles [pid=7526]
    9/15/15 8:57:39.587 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.xamarin.XamarinAndroidPlayer.244272[7509]) Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Is that from ~/Library/Logs/XAP/DeviceManager201509*********.log ? The logging format doesn't looked like XAP's.

I saved that log from Utilities/Console. XAP directory doesn't exist on my laptop.

Can I just double check that you looked in '~/Library/Logs/XAP/' and not '/Library/Logs/XAP/'. It's unusual for XAP to not generate any logs at all when attempting to start.

You are correct! Wrong location. Thank you for hanging in there. I will attach the log from the last time I tried opening XAP. They have the same content except the timestamps.

• CarlBartonCarlBarton USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

I am seeing the same issue here as well. I had this a while back and a reinstall fixed it. It started happening again yesterday but a reinstall did not seem to fix it.

You start XAP and the manager pops up for a split second and then the app is gone.

My log looks exactly like Peter's.

Thanks for the confirmation that someone else is experiencing this, Carl. I am still able to use a running emulator instance, I don't dare close it.

hmmm.. this is weird. I can't see anything happening after that point that would cause it to the application window to vanish like this.

Are you launching it from within XS, or from launchpad?

I usually launch it from my Dock or from Spotlight.

From the dock for me as well. I tried to launch one of the VMs from XS and it actually started!?!

Still cannot launch the dock though...

Still happening for me, but at least I can launch a device from Xamarin Studio > Tools > Android Devices... and then selecting an existing emulator from the list of created. "Create Emulator" still raises the pesky XAP Device Manager UI which immediately closes. Deleted and installed latest today.
    Thanks

• SteveGraddySteveGraddy USUniversity ✭✭

I have not had any issues with the Xamarin Android Player since it was released but today the XAP Device Manager will only open for a split second then disappears. I downloaded the latest XAP and reinstalled with still the same issues. I am running OS-X 10.10.5 on my Mac. I have attached the log created when starting XAP. Can anyone help with this issue?

• SteveGraddySteveGraddy USUniversity ✭✭

Update on my previous post above, Ok I uninstalled Xamarin Android Player then deleted the following folders.

~/Library/XAP/
    ~/Library/Logs/XAP/

Then completely reinstalled Xamarin Android player. XAP seems to be working again not sure what was wrong. Something corrupted somewhere I guess.

Thanks for the update. I did the same and I am also working fine again.

I did have this issue before a long time ago but a simple uninstall/reinstall fixed it before.

• Maico2007Maico2007 MXMember ✭✭

in the actualization 15.40 v0.6.2 return me this issue

@Maico2007
    Can you go to Help > Generate Bug Report and then upload the entire zip archive to this thread, it should give us a better idea of what went wrong.

@PeterDouglas
    What is the status of XAP on your system, are you still unable to run the Device Manager? There is version 0.6.2 out now, http://xamarin-android-player.s3.amazonaws.com/player/mac/0.6.2/XAP-Beta-15.40-v0.6.2.dmg

Thanks @MarkSimpson , but i can't generate the report because this option is disabled when the device manager is opened

ah, that's a problem.

Can you browse to ~/Library/Logs/XAP/ and upload the newest DeviceManager*.log files instead?

ready, I hope my problem can be solved

edited October 2015

Make sure Xamarin Studio, Android Player and Android Device are not running, and copy installeddevices.json, manifest.json and userdevices.json from ~/Library/XAP/ to your desktop. Then delete them from ~/Library/XAP/

After doing that, relaunch Device Manager. If it works, can you upload those .json files here so I can see what's gone wrong with them.

That sounds like a plan! Thank you for your research and instructions. I had gotten part way with a workaround but will try this first thing.

I reviewed the files and what I saw was different from the Nexus 5 (Lollipop) 2, this did not appear in the list of manifest.json.

I remove this device files userdevices.json installeddevices.json and thereafter started without problem.

I do everything and install the Nexus 5 (Lollipop) I returned the same error

It looks like the latest XAP (0.6.2) has rectified this once and for all, at least for me. I recommend deleting the application and ~/Library/XAP/ altogether before installing the latest. Thanks everybody for chipping in.