Grid - column headers?

BradThomasBradThomas USMember, University ✭✭

Is it possible to add a column header to a grid within a listview? Or, should I look at using a tableview instead?

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod
    edited September 2015

A listview is a "view" and will allow you to add headers to it.

A grid is a "layout" and doesn't have a notion of headers, footers, etc. But you can add whatever you like to a Grid since it's just a layout.

• BradThomasBradThomas USMember, University ✭✭

Can a listview have multiple columns?

Can a listview have multiple columns?

No.

It sounds like what you want is a GridView... Which doesn't exist out of the box. There are a number of people (including myself) who have written a GridView custom renderer. I would say mine is super basic, but works. If you need a truly bindable GridView, I suggest taking a look at @GeorgeCook 's Implementation of the xlabs gridview.

Thanks Chase. No wonder I couldn't find any documentation on it. lol I'll take a look at what he came up with and see if I can get it going.

One follow up question - does this work with a PCL project?

Yep, that's the idea. You have platform specific renderers that are registered with your Forms application. Then you reference it in the shared lib.

Thanks man. I'm very much new to Xamarin, and also just a junior developer, so my head is spinning right now. lol

NP, that's exactly what we're all here for. The community is here to help.
    Also, as I just read today, they're working hard on getting documentation updated. Definitely check it out, there's gold in there.

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

You can create a viewcell and add a grid to a viewcell.

Thanks so much for your help @ChaseFlorell. I may have some additional questions if I can't figure out how to implement this.

@AlessandroCaliaro - thanks! I'll check that out if I stumble too much on figuring out this implementation.

edited September 2015

@ChaseFlorell Is there a simple example of using that to create a gridview and binding it to a datasource?

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015

I don't know about the XLabs GridView, but I can recommend the DevExpress Grid.
    It's available on the component store for free. It has more features than anybody would ever need (not necessarily those YOU need :smiley: ) and a sample project which shows how to use most of them.

@MichaelRumpler - thanks for pointing that out. I have worked with DevExpress in all of our other applications, so I'll check it out. Thanks!

After adding the DevExpress grid, I've gotta say - that works perfectly!