Verbose Output how to get it?

LuigiSaggeseLuigiSaggese ITDeveloper Group Leader ✭✭
edited May 2013 in Xamarin.Android

I've a problem starting my application on emulator. But i can't understand problem because output it isn't verbose. It's just that:

Forwarding debugger port 8857
Forwarding console port 8858
Detecting existing process
[Trace] error opening trace file: No such file or directory (2)
[monodroid-gc] GREF GC Threshold: 1800
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/MyProject.UI.Droid.dll
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Binding.Droid.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.CrossCore.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Binding.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.CrossCore.Droid.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.DownloadCache.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.File.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.Json.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Newtonsoft.Json.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Droid.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Localization.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/MyProject.Core.dll
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.JsonLocalisation.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.ResourceLoader.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.Visibility.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.Messenger.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.PhoneCall.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.WebBrowser.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.Email.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.Share.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.DownloadCache.Droid.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.Email.Droid.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.File.Droid.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.PhoneCall.Droid.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.ResourceLoader.Droid.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.Share.Droid.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.Visibility.Droid.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/Cirrious.MvvmCross.Plugins.WebBrowser.Droid.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/System.Windows.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/System.Xml.Serialization.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: /data/data/com.MyProject.Test/files/.__override__/System.Net.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: Mono.Android.dll [External]
Loaded assembly: System.Core.dll [External]
[mono] Stacktrace:
[mono] 
[mono] 
[mono] Unhandled Exception:
[mono] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[mono] [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Could someone help me?

• ChrisHonselaarChrisHonselaar NLBeta ✭✭✭

For some reason your stacktrace seems to be empty. You may want to try adding a few statements like this before the area where you suspect the exception is being thrown:

Console.WriteLine ("MyLocationName {0}", Environment.StackTrace);

Also, check the Xamarin.Android Diagnostics docs page for pointers on how to get more debug info.

Also, for MvvmCross specific issues, please post in the Cross-platform forum area.

• LuigiSaggeseLuigiSaggese ITDeveloper Group Leader ✭✭

My app start for a moment and close immediatelly but i have no issue at compile time.

I've tried to set console writeline in the first call but it doesn't write nothing. Breakpoints too are inefficient.

So what does the Android Debug Log say?

edited May 2013

It sounds like you are running into the same issue as this guy.

My advise would be (to paraphrase @StuartLodge from that link) to try working with Xamarin project types and/or with file linking instead of with PCL project types.
    If you are using pre-compiled binaries for MvvmCross, try compiling them yourself, as Xamarin.Android libraries.
    It's not ideal, but please note that PCL is still in an early phase, and it's quite likely that the issues you are experiencing are related to that. Or at the very least you will likely have a better experience with debugger breakpoints (debugging PCLs can be glitchy).

If you still cannot get to the bottom of this, please try posting on the Cross-Platform forum as I mentioned before, you may want to mention MvvmCross in the thread title if you want to ensure extra attention from Stuart :)

• StuartLodgeStuartLodge USBeta ✭✭✭

(to paraphrase @StuartLodge from that link)

Thanks, but I've just reread my answer twice and I definitely do not recommend using file linking there. I tell them they can if they want to - but actually in what to try next? I recommend looking through http://slodge.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/n22-from-basics-on-mac-n1-days-of.html to see what the differences might be.

Very happy for you to give whatever expertise and advice you have, but I'd prefer you not to incorrectly paraphrase me. Thanks. Stuart :)

Thanks! In fact today i've linked my dll in project by files and doesn't change nothing... :-(
    I'll see your tutorial and i let you know.

Grazie Stuart!

@StuartLodge - I thought I was careful to paraphrase exactly what you said (I read it again, I did), but the 'my advise' bit might make it seem like you are also advising it, which was not my intention, sorry if it was read that way.

In any case, if Luigi is running into seemingly blind-alley issues where the debugger is not helping and exceptions give empty stacktraces, personally my next course of action would be to ensure that any libraries I use are Xamdroid profile assemblies. Just to get the issue resolved. After that, by all means, go back to the PCL versions.

And yes sure, follow the screencast as well. But since this issue was not oroginally posted as directly related to MvvmCross and Luigi seems to want to know how to resolve this type of issue in general, I thought I'd point that out.

edited May 2013

I have solved migrating my code solution to another new project.

There was no problem with PCL and project link assembly.

I don't know why my solution was broken. I suspect something about package namespace. But they was all consistent.