How to target tablets?

gfkeoghgfkeogh AUMember ✭✭

In recent weeks I have been training myself on Xamarin and Forms by writing a small but functional App that deploys to all 3 phones. All signs so far are that it will succeed.

I now have to write an enhanced version of the phone App so that it specifically targets all 3 tablet devices with a richer UI. My recent experience shows that almost everything in Xamarin and the tooling is geared by default to phone development. I have been unable to coax some simulators into running in tablet/pad mode, and there are so many configuration options for projects, simulators and other tools that I can't find a way of consistently setting them all so my development experience for this new project defaults to tablets. Is there guidance somewhere on how to consistently target tablet/pad devices for a project?

Thanks, Greg

Answers

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

almost everything in Xamarin and the tooling is geared by default to phone development

not true at all. I've developed several tablet projects with Xamarin.

For iOS, you should be able to pick a target simulator when you run your project. You'll also need to be sure your app's projects settings are set to support iPad.

In Android, you should simply launch the app using a tablet emulator.

In Forms specifically, you can use the Device.Idiom property to determine if the device is a tablet or phone, and adjust your UI accordingly.

• AlexWhiteAlexWhite GBMember ✭✭✭

The key thing is making sure you have the right size loading images to support the screen sizes you want to support, it makes no difference if it is an iPhone or iPad in the IOS world and the same is true for Android too.

I actually swap what simulators I use all the time to get a good feel for each different screen type, going through all the major ones several times a day with different screens.