Visual Studio 2012 extension no longer works in 4.6.7

I just downloaded and updated to Mono for Android 4.6.7 from 4.6.6, reopened my solution file, and the android project refused to load. VS is calling it incompatible. In the extensions menu Mono for Android has disappeared and there's no longer a Xamarin tab in Options. It appears to have uninstalled the extension. I tried repairing and uninstalling/reinstalling with the installer to no avail (making sure the VS2012 extension option was enabled).

Is this a known issue that will be fixed soon, or am I doing something obviously wrong that I'm missing? It's very crippling.

• ChrisHardyChrisHardy Xamurai GBForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Is it possible to share with us the full error message/screenshot when VS is calling it incompatible?

• MatthewThorsonMatthewThorson CAMember

Yep! It seems indistinguishable to me from simply not having the extension installed.

If I edit the project file, some Android-related lines are flagged as errors:

And if I try to build it I get this:

Unsupported
    This version of Visual Studio does not have the following project types installed or does not support them. You can still open these projects in the version of Visual Studio in which they were originally created.
    - TowerFallOuya, "C:\Users\Matthew\Documents\Projects\TowerFall\TowerFall\TowerFallOuya.csproj"

Non-functional changes required
    Visual Studio will automatically make non-functional changes to the following projects in order to enable them to open in this version and Visual Studio 2010 SP1. Project behavior will not be impacted.
    - TowerFall, "C:\Users\Matthew\Documents\Projects\TowerFall\TowerFall.sln"

• WilliamAndrewSowerbyWilliamAndrewSowerby ✭✭ GBMember ✭✭

I can't load my project in VS2010 in 4.6.7.

Error:E:\Android Project\MyProject.csproj : error : The project file 'E:\Android Project\Myproject.cdspoj' cannot be opened.

Worked fine in 4.6.6 and earlier.

Regards...Andrew

• FZelleFZelle ✭✭✭ DEMember ✭✭✭

and you have tried to install again?

• MatthewThorsonMatthewThorson CAMember

You probably weren't asking me but yes, I have.

If the solution to this isn't known, would it be possible to get an installer for 4.6.6 so I can continue working?

Yup, tried a repair. Same problem:

The project type is not supported by this installation.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling - same problem Using W7 Ultimate.

What's your OS Language?

English (United Kingdom).

And which VS.NET?

• QuadeQuade USMember

I'm dead in the water too. 4.6.07 update. Using VC10. I'm in trial mode if that matters. Did the update now no project will load. There's no hint in VC that the Mono is even integrated into VC. Nothing in options at all. Looks to me like the integration doesn't get hooked into VC any more.

• QuadeQuade USMember

My VC isn't installed to a standard location. I wouldn't be surprised if it's related to that.

C:\MSVC2010\

Is where it's installed.

• PJBeamanXPJBeamanX Xamurai USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hey all, thanks for the reports. We're trying to track down the issue and get a hotfix out to you guys. In the meantime, if you need to revert back to 4.6.6 here is the direct link: http://download.xamarin.com/MonoforAndroid/Windows/mono-android-4.6.06000.msi

Thank you for your patience, and please continue to add any additional information you may have to the thread.

• DeanEllisDeanEllis Xamurai USXamarin Team Xamurai

Does anyone have any additional Visual Studio Addins installed? If so can you post which ones please.

• QuadeQuade USMember
    • Nsight Tegra, Visual Studio Edition

• Axialis IconWorkshop

• Qt Add-In 1.1.11

This is the add in manager.

Monodroid isn't listed in the add in manager. Neither was Insight Tegra

Only the VM debugger. Here is my VS2010 info:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
    Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.0.30319 SP1Rel

Installed Version: Professional

Microsoft Visual C# 2010 01018-587-3324763-70899
    Microsoft Visual C# 2010

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 01018-587-3324763-70899
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer 01018-587-3324763-70899
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 01018-587-3324763-70899
    Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010

Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
    Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU (KB2529927) KB2529927
    This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2529927.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU (KB2548139) KB2548139
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2548139.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU (KB2549864) KB2549864
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2549864.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU (KB2565057) KB2565057
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2565057.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU (KB2635973) KB2635973
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2635973.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU (KB2736182) KB2736182
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2736182.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU (KB2813041) KB2813041
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2813041.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB983509) KB983509
    This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983509.

Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU (KB2645410) KB2645410
    This security update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this security update will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645410.

VMDebugger
    For more information about VMware, Inc., see their website at
    http://www.vmware.com
    Copyright (c) 2012 VMware, Inc.

Looks as though MfA 4.6.7 wasn't installed properly.

And my VS2010 is installed in: E:\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\

edited May 2013

So you all have in common that you installed vs.net in a differnet place then normal.

@was:
    If you could put a hardlink from your installation to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\
    and try it again, then we might know what's happening.

I don't know how to create a hardlink (never heard of it!) but, in any case, will have to do that tomorrow.

• QuadeQuade USMember

I don't know how to create a hardlink (never heard of it!) but, in any case, will have to do that tomorrow.

Ditto - that's not a windows "thing". I've heard of it, under Linux. Other than removing and re-installing there's no easy way to change the path. It's all intertwined with the registry and the environment variables.

I just checked and my laptop is also using an odd path. If I get a chance I'll re-install on the laptop and try again.

edited May 2013

Of course you can do that in Windows, in fact you can do that since NT4/windows2000 on any NTFS Partition.

You can either use a commandline tool delivered with windows
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365006(v=vs.85).aspx
    or with a shellextension for the explorer http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

It's so sad that most people don't know the tools they are working with.

• StevenTheEvenStevenTheEven ✭✭✭ SEMember ✭✭✭

So hardlinking takes care of the registry and environment variabels?

• QuadeQuade USMember

I guess I was wrong.

It's so sad that most people don't know the tools they are working with.

Installing small updates that break my devel environment makes me sad too. Good luck finding the problem. I'll check back in a couple days.

@StevenTheEven:
    No, and it wasn't meant to fix that.
    It was only to check if someone at Xamarin has put a fixed Path into the Installer instead of using the Registry.
    And that could be checked with this simple test, without a complete reinstall.

Tried this but I get the following error:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Andrew Sowerby>fsutil hardlink create C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
    Visual Studio 10.0\ E:\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\
    Usage : fsutil hardlink create
    Eg : fsutil hardlink create c:\foo.txt c:\bar.txt

C:\Users\Andrew Sowerby>fsutil hardlink create "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsof
    t Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" "E:\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Co
    mmon7\IDE\devenv.exe"
    The new link and the existing file must be on the same volume.

BTW, although I appreciate your help with this, your comments about being sad about 'people who don't know the tools they use' is not appreciated. I program for: Windows, Palm, Windows Mobile, IOS and Android so I think it's reasonable I don't know everything about all the tools/OS's I use!

If you would use the ShellExtension it's easier.

Then it's rightclick on E:\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0 select "Link Source", goto C:\Program Files (x86) rightclick "Insert as/Junction".

• StephanNielsenStephanNielsen ✭✭ DEMember ✭✭

I can't use the VS extension anymore either. I already uninstalled and reinstalled everything related to xamarin (gtk#, xamarin studio, android, ios).

I attached the error message I get on opening the solution as a txt file.

Yup, works with a junction to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0. Good call.

@was:

After 29 years as a developer, living in a non english speaking country, this is the first thing to look at.

And also the ignorance in the english speaking world of "the others" ( hey we are 5 times more then the native english speakers ), told me to allways use the default path, and if I need space, I use hardlinks.

rolling back to 4.6.6 didn't do the trick for me. VS is installed in default location. perhaps my problem isn't related to the problem the others are having?

told me to allways use the default path, and if I need space, I use hardlinks

Good tip. Thanks.

• RoseMarcantonioRoseMarcantonio USMember

I have the same problem. I am using VS2012 and I installed it in the normal location. If any other info would be helpful, please let us know.

Any news how to fix this? I'd like to go back to VS12 as IDE.

I noticed that I can use Xamarin.Android in VS2010. I checked the installed extensions and noticed that my VS2012 is missing the Xamarin Shell extension. Is this necessary for VS2012 as well? If yes, how do I get it. I already uninstalled and installed Xamarin a few times.

• StevenTheEvenStevenTheEven ✭✭✭ SEMember ✭✭✭

I have it in my working installation at least. Try to copy it from your 2010 to your 2012 dir and see if it changes anything?

Thank you. It worked. But, weird thing, the extension was already in the extension dir. I then deleted the extension folder, copied it again in there, restarted VS a few times, now it works.