Surfing between activities -> memory usage increase

Hi. Let this be my first post on this forum.

I'm currently developing android app with Xamarin studio. I'm quite a familiar on deving with Java Android but deving with C# on android is pretty new to me.

I currently ran into problems with switching between activities. I have implemented Gesture listener to my app, but when I switch for example from MainActivity to SecondActivity RAM memory of phone increases. And when I surf multiple times between those activities my back button throws me to previous Activity. That's why it might took quite a much back button presses to quit the program.

What I'm doing wrong and how should I tweak my code. I'll post small example from my testcode (which is similar to android tutorials).

public bool OnScroll(MotionEvent e1, MotionEvent e2, float distanceX, float distanceY)

{
            if (distanceX > 0.00) 

{
                var second = new Intent(this, typeof(SecondActivity));

StartActivity(second);

//StartActivity(typeof(SecondActivity));

return true;

}

else

{

return false;

}   

}

And SecondActivity:

public bool OnScroll(MotionEvent e1, MotionEvent e2, float distanceX, float distanceY)

{
            if (distanceX < 0.00) 

{
                var main = new Intent(this, typeof(MainActivity));

StartActivity(main);

//StartActivity(typeof(MainActivity));

return true;

}

else

{

return false;

}   

}

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

• MikaKorhonenMikaKorhonen FIMember

Well, I did got no answer. Maybe my problem was too common sense or described badly.

I ran some tests. Seems like system knows how to fflush unused RAM. So if someone ever ran into these kind of problems, I hope this post would help abit.

• FZelleFZelle DEMember ✭✭✭

Well, I did got no answer. Maybe my problem was too common sense or described badly.

Yes too common sense, aka basics of dotnet.
    .NET and therefor Xamarin.Android uses a Garbage Collector that does exactly that.