Forum Community

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Let's Consolidate The Chat Rooms

TrioxinTrioxin USMember

As some may know there's the #Xamarin chat on Freenode, one on another IRC network, and a jabber room. When people are looking to chat they're popping into Freenode chat because it's the obvious first place to look. I suggest that we close the other chats, leave a message for people to go to Freenode, and op whoever is managing the other 2 chats (Which I can do). Doing that will give the chat in it's proper place a better foothold and average user availability to chat and answer questions. Currently on Freenode people pop in all the time and ask questions that sometimes don't get answered. I imagine this goes on in the other 2 locations. This would be greatly improved if we just consolidate them. I've also put in a request to have the chat archived by a bot so it can be searchable and could even be integrated into the Xamarin site search. A bustling chat is a really good way to get answers quick and I'm happy to help as many people as I can as are others currently in the Freenode chat when they're online.

• GeorgeCookGeorgeCook PEUniversity ✭✭✭

Yes. can we get more people in freenode, please?
    KEEP LOGGED IN,
    LURK,
    HELP OUT WHEN YOU CAN.

21 people at the moment - come on guys - don't be lazy, even if you know nothing, you'll learn by lurking, and more people will attract even more people.

• TrioxinTrioxin USMember

26 PPL at the moment. Of course we can do better! But as I just said in the chat: I knew we could get this chat going. Good job Xamarinites.

• OtaMaresOtaMares DEMember ✭✭

How about we try slack? It is much easier to access than irc for alot of people :)

• valdeterovaldetero USInsider, University ✭✭

@ota is there a slack room?

edited July 2015

I created the xamarin-community team: https://xamarin-community.slack.com
    Lets see if we can get that room filled with people.

You can invite yourself to the team on the https://xamarin-community.herokuapp.com/ website.

@valdetero ping :)

• DanRigbyDanRigby USMember, Insider mod
    edited August 2015

@Ota I would encourage you to shutdown the Slack instance you setup and use the one that was created about a month ago by @JonW that already has 65 people registered and a modest amount of activity. I would hate for us to fragment even more then we already have between a JabbR room, 2 IRC channels, Slack, and now another Slack (and those are just the ones I know about).

You can find the details for @JonW 's instance here: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/43563/xamarin-slack-team

Thanks!

Hey @DanRigby i didnt knew there is a slack channel already existing! I am definitively shuting down mine, thanks for the info.

• TrioxinTrioxin USMember

The IRC #Xamarin on Freenode, Jabber, and Slack are all now linked so that everyone can talk to everyone across all services from any of them in the chats.