Target Platforms? Universal Apps for Windows?

Hi all,
sorry, very silly question: When I register for the indie license for iOS and Android, could I use the same code then also for Windows Phone and Windows? If so, which version(s) of Windows Phone and Windows are supported?
Many thanks!

Tagged:

• stvansolanostvansolano UMInsider, University ✭✭✭

Hey @k23

Yes you can use the code and target both with universal app support for those platforms as well.

• K23K23 DEMember

Sounds good. Thanks!

• LoriLalondeLoriLalonde CAInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

@K23 and @stvansolano, the Indie license does not support Visual Studio. You are limited to working within Xamarin Studio. What this means is that you can create Portable Class Libraries and Shared Projects which you can use within your Windows Phone and Windows projects (so yes you get code reuse that way), but you will need to use Visual Studio to develop your Windows applications and add in those Portable Class Libraries or Shared Projects. So you will use two IDEs to develop your cross platform apps: Xamarin Studio for Android and iOS and Visual Studio for Windows Phone/Windows apps.

Also note that Xamarin Studio on a Windows machine only supports Android projects. Xamarin Studio on a Mac supports both Android and iOS.

• stvansolanostvansolano UMInsider, University ✭✭✭

Sorry I confused Indie with recently introduced Starter Edition. May it make a difference for your case @K23 ?

• K23K23 DEMember

Ok, you made it: now I'm confused.... :-)

I have a Macbook and a Windows Machine. I have XCode and Visual Studio. Now I want to develop one single app which should work on iOS, Android, Windows and Windows Phone.
    I want to start with the Starter Edition, but as far as I remember it has some restrictions e.g. regarding file size, but I could not find the comparison.... So I thought I had to use the Indie version.
    So as far as I understood: With Xamarin Studio I could develop for iOS and Android (according to my license of course) and then copy the code to Visual Studio to create a universal app for Windows and Windows Phone?

• LoriLalondeLoriLalonde CAInsider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

With an Indie license, you can use Xamarin Studio to create your platform specific projects (Android and iOS) and your Portable Class Libraries which will contain your shared code.

In Visual Studio, you will create your Windows Phone, Windows Store, or Universal Windows projects. This has nothing to do with Xamarin. It's just what you can do within Visual Studio. To use the Portable Class Libraries in your Windows apps that are used by your Xamarin Android and iOS projects, you will have to add a reference to them in your Windows projects. So you can achieve code reuse without issue that way.

Does that make sense?

• K23K23 DEMember

Yes, thanks a lot, Lori!!