Forum Xamarin.Android

Build error on VSO + CI Android - XA9008: Building from the command-line requires a Business License

stvansolanostvansolano UMInsider, University ✭✭✭

I'm setting up a CI build with VSO for my Xamarin.Forms (Android) app but I'm getting this error when I trigger the builds:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets (445, 2) XA9008: Building from the command-line requires a Business License

Any ideas about about that? Not sure why it is conflicting with my current Xamarin Business License.

Answers

• stvansolanostvansolano UMInsider, University ✭✭✭

Added @TomOpgenorth to the thread :) Hope it helps if anyone is having the same issue.

• TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth CAXamarin Team Xamurai

I'm assuming you're using a Hosted build (i.e. VSO is compiling your Xamarin.Android project for you). So while VSO does support Xamarin projects now, it's still necessary for Xamarin to validate your Xamarin License. The trick here is to add a build step that will register your Xamarin license on the VSO build host.

I've attached a screenshot of a sample build definition in VSO (hopefully you can see this). The first build step is to activate the Xamarin License so that VSO can build the Xamarin.Android project. In this example I've set some project variables to hold the user name & password of my Xamarin account.

Notice that the second last step will deactivate the the Xamarin license. This helps keep the number of computers using your Xamarin license to a minimum.

I've also attached a screenshot of what the build step for the Xamarin.Android project looks like. Notice that the build step is using the Xamarin.Android project and the PackageForAndroid build target.

(Building Xamarin.iOS projects is a bit more complicated as it involves setting up a VSO build agent on your Mac and then registering that with VSO. This is a bit more involved.)

Got it. Will give it a try. So is this restricted to same user account for both VSO and Xamarin? I mean, as I'm triggering builds with my VSO account it should be a valid Xamarin account as well?

Same issue @TomOpgenorth I changed to the $(xamarin.user) and $(xamarin.password) and it worked fine. However it didn't build even with a normal build target that I added. I attached you the log file for my case.

Would you like to take a look? I can grant you access to my VSO and you should be able to reproduce it (just send me an email address)