Is the sample Tasky app "too large to be developed with Xamarin Starter Edition"?

F1MadF1Mad GBMember

I've just downloaded and installed Xamarin to evaluate it before committing, and it's not been a smooth experienced so far. Firstly, the install failed the first time, but everything seems OK on 2nd attempt. But now, I'm trying to test the Android Tasky project, as recommended by the first webpage that got spawned during installation, but it seems the project is too big for the Starter Edition? Why is this? If even the sample project can't be run on the Starter Edition, what is the purpose of the Started Edition?

I know that I can "Begin a Trial" to get access, but I really do think this really shouldn't need to be the case.

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod

Miguel said in a recent interview that Xamarin is working on extending the Starter Edition, so as I see it you have two options:

1. Begin a Trial
    2. Wait on Xamarin to extend the Starter Edition
  • F1MadF1Mad GBMember

Thanks, Tomasz. I think I'll wait then, until they work out what the Starter Edition is actually for. Chances are we'd end up going for the Business level if the evaluation went well, but I don't have time at the moment to fully evaluate a "trial" version, so I don't want to waste that.

In the meantime, I'm going to investigate RhoMobile...

• OctOct USMember

I am in the same boat as you Cheesebaron. I cant justify purchasing the Indie version or wasting the trial quite yet.

• ChrisGChrisG USMember

I just hit the same issue with a fresh install. Perhaps the new IOS 6.1 is triggering a larger build than it was originally, but with Tasky at 59k, they better double their 32k limitation. Or better yet 10x to 320k. 32k is just ridiculous.

> Error MT9005: User code size, 59392 bytes, is larger than 32768 bytes and requires a Indie (or higher) license. (MT9005) (TaskyiOS)

• F1MadF1Mad GBMember

I think it's a crazy way to give limited access. If they're worried about people using the free version for creating production apps, then maybe they should have a nasty splash screen set by default. With regards to trying out an iOS project, a compilation that works in the simulator will NOT deploy to more than 100 devices anyway, so why try and limit things based on size?

• qtlqtl JPMember

At least they have to remove or edit the getting-started page for iOS for to prevent newcomers including me from confusion.