So many bugs :-(

Is it just me or are there a large amount of obvious bugs in Xamarin Studio? (That's a genuine question, wondering is anyone else experiencing issues).

Here's a few:

• Unable to create or delete breakpoints after the app has been running for about 10-15 minutes

• Sub windows/Pads seem to be all over the place. Deploy to device jumps around 3 different positions, regardless of where I dock it.

• Random crashes (spinning beach ball) when searching the entire solution for text

• Weird glitches in the text editor. Its like blocks of it haven't been redrawn. So once you start typing it starts overwriting the outdated screen drawing (if that makes sense). This is particularly noticeable when you arrived at a point in the editor as a result of clicking a find result.

• Error and warning highlight bars are backwards. Errors are highlighted in yellow, warnings in red

• Debugging sometimes simply won't work and requires going into settings and removing the "debug over wifi" checkbox, trying to debug over usb (which rarely if ever works), then going back and changing the box to checked again. Often needs an app restart along with this.

• The device selector doesn't work properly. Often it will show one device is selected, but it deploys/debugs a different connected device

• Weird code highlighting where it thinks part of a variable's name is wrong. eg: a variable myVariable might be half highlighted so 'MyVari' is in red and the rest in black.

We're all in the software game and understand its simply impossible to get rid of all bugs, but these seem like really obvious ones that are apparent after an hour or so of using the software, which leads me to think it might be my setup or something? I've reinstalled the app and keep up with the latest stable releases, but still no joy. :( Its a fresh install of OSX Mountain Lion on a shiny new iMac, but wondering do I have old MonoDevelop config files lurking somewhere that are causing these issues maybe?

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Random crashes (spinning beach ball) when searching the entire solution for text

I just came on here to post about this. Seems I am not the only one. I use the Search All function A LOT, and Xamarin Studio is very slow/poor at doing this successfully. Most of the time I cannot do it because it lags out, or crashes. I am search for a simple value, which only has about 14 matches. But I noticed if I have some rather large files in the solutions (jquery.min.js files) it will not work. =(

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Dermot,

I don't know the status of all of the bugs you've listed, but these should be fixed in git master already:

• Debugging sometimes simply won't work and requires going into settings and removing the "debug over wifi" checkbox, trying to debug over usb (which rarely if ever works), then going back and changing the box to checked again. Often needs an app restart along with this.

• The device selector doesn't work properly. Often it will show one device is selected, but it deploys/debugs a different connected device

You can try out the latest internal build if you'd like: https://files.xamarin.com/~jeff/XamarinStudio-4.0.0.2955.dmg

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The hang while searching should be fixed too.

Could you please file bugs for the other issues with any additional information that could help us to track them down, e.g. version information, screenshots, repro steps, etc. Thank you!

• dermotosdermotos USMember

Thanks for the feedback guys. The main bug that really aggravates me is the one that stops breakpoints being created/removed after using the editor for a short time. I'm currently testing/debugging those horrible edge cases, in a scenario between two devices connected via a server. It could take 15 - 20 minutes to get a test scenario setup, then go to set a breakpoint at the point I need so insight into and I can't set it! A lot of swearing ensues. I've tried to figure out a pattern (as it happens often enough, once every 30 minutes at least) but other than "develop/debug as normal for 15 to 20 minutes" I can't figure out any specific steps to create it. Or to be more accurate, I can't figure out steps to avoid it within 20 minutes of starting the app, it ALWAYS happens.

• KevinMullinsKevinMullins USMember, Beta ✭✭

For me the debug issue happens any time I do a debug on a physical device. After the initial run, I am unable to add/remove breakpoints and it results in me having to do a full reboot of Xamarin Studio.

• AlexWhiteAlexWhite GBMember ✭✭✭

I have the same set of issues, debugging on the device just stops after a while, none of the breakpoints are hit, closing studio down does not resolve the issue for me, the only thing that seems to work is to change channel and install again, I might get 10 minutes of debugging if I am lucky a full reboot of the mac does not get me up and running.

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited May 2013

@Alex what kind of device? What Xamarin Studio and Xamarin.iOS/Android versions? Please file a bug with more details so we can attempt to reproduce the bug. Thanks!

Using latest IOS on iPhone4 and iPad mini, all versions of Xamarin Studio, e.g. latest build of stable, beta, alpha all do the same, this has been going on a while so whatever the issue is it has been there ever since I moved from MonoDevelop to Studio, currently I only do IOS development.

I will file a bug.

Thanks.

• dermotosdermotos USMember

I've experienced the buggy debugging (!) for the last 2+ years across most/all versions of MonoDevelop & Xamarin studio, on iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3 and the current iPod touch, on 3 different computers (Macbook Air, Macbook Pro and iMac) while developing on Snow leopard, Lion & Mountain Lion on iOS 4 though to 6.1.3.

Can be very annoying trying to go back to USB cable debugging from WiFi. When I try to test my app behavior on Cellular it can often take 20 minutes of checking/unchecking the Debug over WiFi box, app restarts, phone restarts and computer restarts before I will eventually get it to work.

Mine is getting worse, I don't think the debuggers has connected for a couple of days now, tried everything removing studio and reinstalling it, hard resetting of the devices, there does seem to be an issue with not being able to kill any previous versions of an app on the device, if I kill manually then sometime I can connect but sometimes not. This is pretty annoying as I now have a queue of bugs that I cannot resolve without the debugger, I have filled a bug. It all seems to work ok on the simulators.

• MikeKrgerMikeKrger DEXamarin Team, Beta Xamurai
    • Error & warning colors are fixed (I should really get a better monitor, on mine colors seem to be random :))
    • Text editor glitch bug - got it reported, but seems to be gone in newer versions.

Most of the bugs you reported were fixed - but unfortunately we didn't get them out of the door as fast as we wished.

• Woody712Woody712 GBMember ✭✭

I wish I could do some debugging! I'm stuck with using the emulator. The emulator is fine but slow, problem is my app does photos and video so I then have to revert to logcat messages.

Quite shocked that a mainstream device like the Samsung S4 doesn't work with Xamarin still.

Lets not forget that google are going to be releasing their own version of this next month as well.

Please get it fixed asap.