Debug as upgrade instead of new deployment to retain data?

Le-royStaines.7824Le-royStaines.7824 Le-roy StainesNZMember ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am wanting to test how a user upgrade would impact their existing database with database table changes.. how can I do this using the debug on device from Monodevelop?

Every time I debug it removes all the old data from the application and starts fresh.

Cheers,
Le-roy

• ChrisHonselaarChrisHonselaar Chris Honselaar NLMember, Beta ✭✭✭

Maybe someone from Xamarin will correct me, but I do not think it's possible to do this through debugging form Monodevelop/Xamarin Studio.
    Instead you should probably let Monodevelop build the .apk without running it, and then push it to the device/simulator manually using the adb -r command.
    You could use ProtoPad (sorry, self-advertising a bit here :-P) to connect to the running after the update, to 'debug' and inspect without running the Monodevelop debugger.

• Le-royStaines.7824Le-royStaines.7824 Le-roy Staines NZMember ✭✭✭

Cool, thanks Jonathan! I'm using Monodevelop it was Options > Other > Mono for Android > Preserve data/cache between application deploys.

• JeffEnderwickJeffEnderwick Jeff Enderwick USMember

Jonathan - how does one do the same for iOS? TIA.

• CheesebaronCheesebaron Tomasz Cielecki DKInsider, University mod

@jeff7091 I guess that is better suited for the iOS forum, wouldn't you agree?

• WilliamJockuschWilliamJockusch William Jockusch USMember

This has moved; it is now under Xamarin Studio > preferences > projects > android

• BryanPoteetBryanPoteet Bryan Poteet USMember

What does one do if Preserve data/cache is checked and it still removes everything?

Currently I have to set a break point just before it attaches to the database so I can copy the data back to the app folder using Root Explorer. It's getting old but I don't know what else to do. This behavior is in both VS2013 and Xamarin Studio. I'm running the latest stable version of Xamarin.

• BryanPoteetBryanPoteet Bryan Poteet USMember

What does one do if Preserve data/cache is checked and it still removes everything?
    I guess resetting your phone works. I factory reset my phone and upgraded to Android 5.1.
    After the upgrade/reset the data sticks. Finally.

• TheosTheos Tim Brand NLBeta ✭✭

I resetting the phone really necessary? I've the same issue on one of my devices (OnePlus One). It's not keeping the data/cache between debug deployments, which is frustrating. On other android the data is preserved fine.
    Just would like to hear someone else to confirm I've to reset my device as I prefer not to reset it now ;)

Thanks!

• TheosTheos Tim Brand NLBeta ✭✭

I just installed the latest CM nightly (5.1.1) and did a factory reset. Now my data/cache is preserved between new debug deployments.

So, yes this is the solution ;)

• BradChaseBradChase Brad Chase USMember

Just wanted to say thanks! Saved me SOOOOOO much time! Our cache is quite large and it takes a very long time to load everytime I debug. Now its instant! Thank you thank you thank you!

• ThiagoGuitarThiagoGuitar Thiago Oliveira BRMember

@Theos said:
    I resetting the phone really necessary? I've the same issue on one of my devices (OnePlus One). It's not keeping the data/cache between debug deployments, which is frustrating. On other android the data is preserved fine.
    Just would like to hear someone else to confirm I've to reset my device as I prefer not to reset it now ;)

Thanks!

I just clean the App Data and App Cache, then it worked!