Android player is amazing

GeorgeCookGeorgeCook PEUniversity ✭✭✭

I get a bad rap because I'm vociferous with my opinions, which are often critical; but don't let it be said that I don't give credit where it's due.

I accidentally closed the android debug player, and hit play on my Xamarin app. Within seconds it was running.

I want the Xamarin team behind this to know how very much I appreciate your work on this. I've meant to write this message many times already; but always got distracted. The quality and efficiency of the player is astounding, and of huge value.

You make Android work so much more productive.

T h a n k y o u .

Tagged:

• JamesGreen.8031JamesGreen.8031 GBMember ✭✭

Now that I've got it setup and configured properly with my local API and Fiddler I have to agree ... this is SO MUCH better than the Google Emulators.

• LarsKrog-JensenLarsKrog-Jensen SEMember ✭✭

Is it faster/better than Genymotion?

I haven't used Genymotion but I cannot imagine needing a faster emulator ... and I'm an impatient SOAB!! :smile:

No really, it is orders of magnitude faster than the Google emulators in every regard. Feels as snappy as using my actual Android Hardware (HTC One).

The app gets built in Visual Studio and is on the device and ready to go by the time I Alt+Tab ...

@LarsKrog-Jensen Can you integrate Genymotion into the Visual Studio environment?

• GeorgeCookGeorgeCook PEUniversity ✭✭✭

yes. faster than genymotion. especially startup time. Shockingly fast to start up.

It hasn't got all the bells and whistles of Genymotion but it is still just a 0.3 preview to be fair. Xamarin aren't officially providing support on it yet for this reason but so far it's been working flawlessly for me.

• BenjaminRushBenjaminRush USMember
    edited July 2015

To me XAP has been a continual disappointment. I'm glad to hear it works for others, but it has either not worked, or worked only intermittently for me.

And the fact it isn't supported but thru these forums make it even more frustrating. Speed is meaningless when it just doesn't work.

I would rather pay for slow and steady at this point. I'll have to experiment with the other emulator systems, I guess. But perhaps Android development is just inherently rickety and slow? Because when XAP does run I never thought of it as ever "shockingly fast". And I've got a 12-core Xeon processor.

I have a full Ubuntu 15.04, 64-bit image that boots faster, and even from VirtualBox.

@BenjaminRush Strange ... it worked straight off the bat for me. Have you installed the HMAX stuff from Intel? Not sure if it uses that.

edited July 2015

@JamesGreen.8031, it is VERY strange.

So I've been using it now for, say, six months or so (maybe, I can't remember exactly). At first I thought it was decent, it never hung on me, never acted weird, never misbehaved. Then about two (maybe three?) months ago things began to destabilize. A host of issues crept up, some of which I fixed by simply uninstalling and reinstalling (or sometimes deleting the old images and re-downloading them), but others started creeping that became impassable that I made forum posts about:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/44459/cannot-delete-xap-images#latest

(see my post in) https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/42220/why-do-i-receive-timed-out-messages-all-time-when-playing-the-nexus-7-4-10-devices#latest

The first one "magically" started working again after the third uninstall/reinstall. The second one (happening on a separate machine) I'm stuck on. And NOW I'm realizing on yet another machine that I cannot install gapp (the image won't accept me dragging and dropping the gapps zip file -- this worked about three months ago).

I downloaded Genymotion and have been able to continue programming; but XAP essentially stopped my personal projects dead in the water for, maybe, two weeks. I probably won't give it another go until it comes out of alpha or beta or whatever it's in.

And yes, HMAX is installed.

All in all I'm happy more of these android emulators are being built because I think competition is good, and XAP WORKED well for me (when it worked). But as of late it has been a hair-pulling experience. And I don't have the time to fight with its oddness.

edited July 2015

I feel your pain. I've lost lots of time to various configuration issues with Xamarin tooling as well. Hugely frustrating. I'm wondering if the uninstall process properly clears down things in the Windows Registry preventing a proper uninstall occurring. Did you ever look in there?

That might also effect any subsequent installation processes as well.

If Xamarin are hanging installer logic off the back of registry keys (common in WiX and other installers) that could be an issue.

Okay,

basically if you use mac it's awesome. If you use windows.. well.. usual windows deal :D

It's running great here in Windows.

edited July 2015

@GeorgeCook , I'm not sure that was helpful. :neutral: Nor accurate.

My MacBook Pro just sits on my desk being a build bitch to my Windows beast ... ;)

erm.. ok. whatever floats your boat.. but I still don't have any XAP issues.. which would, I guess.. erm.. make you window's bitch? :P

edited July 2015

@GeorgeCook, I'll take the high road and basically ignore where you are trying to take this thread.

@JamesGreen.8031, I think you may be hitting the nail on the head. The installation/uninstallation process may have some hidden glitches in it that might reveal what's going on.

Personally I'm going to wait it out. Genymotion is fast and works just fine for me. I'll just be looking forward to the next XAP versions that come out. I think Xamarin is headed in the right direction; there's just a few glitches that need to be worked out.

Well as the one who started the thread id say I have a right to a sense of humour. Jeez. Lighten up.

@BenjaminRush The installer definitely has issues. I had to fix the initial configuration as it sets the subnet mask to 255.0.0.0. That is clearly wrong and prevents any XAP instances from talking to the host machine.

actually you guys made me curious... I'm an iOS developer, who uses Xamarin forms, and is starting out with Android dev, so I didn't ever intend this as a Genymotion vs XAP thread. I was just really impressed with XAP. But I downloaded Genymotion then purchased it.

it's going to make my device debugging soooo much easier, and also - for weeks I've had an issue with twitter auth.. which it turns out was a bug in XAP!!!!!!

So thanks everyone here. Xap is great; but now I see what you guys mean. no more xap for me.. so this has gone from praising to XAP to being like.. "thanks for the feels.. kthxbye"

• MarkSimpsonMarkSimpson USMember ✭✭✭

@GeorgeCook Could you post up the details of that bug in a new thread, it might help other users or allow a fix to be found.