New Xamarin.Mac documentation live

ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited May 2015 in Xamarin.iOS

Check out the new Xamarin.Mac documentation the docs team and I collaborated on:

http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/mac/

We obviously know that much more documentation is needed. What is the most pressing kinds/topics of documentation that you guys are interested in?

Current Suggestions:

- NSTableView/NSOutlineView example with data source / delegate Done!

• MichaelBothMichaelBoth AUMember ✭✭✭

Thanks - I took a quick look through and it looks as though there is a lot more stuff there than previously, it's definitely a 'must read' that expect people will get redirected to pretty often when asking some starter questions here.

One thing that might benefit people is a solid example of Cocoa bindings; I would be curious to see how a 'proper' version of this is implemented as I found with my project I had a to create a NSObject based 'glue' class for each view model, and bind to properties in this 'glue' class rather than the original view model (with the view model being shared across both OSX and PC platforms).

• LeRenardLeRenard BEMember

Since I'm doing all my work with MVC pattern to GTK & WinForms, I'd like to translate that over to MonoMac/Xamarin.Mac
    It would be helpful to show us how to use all controls without having to use the Interface Builder (XCode).

Most of the things are straightforward, but NSTableView for example is not really easy to get working...

So basically, there's a lot of people, including me, that just want to write the code and instatiated/populate a window programatically in stead of using an interface builder. This because, based on certain contexts, we need to instantiate controls..

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

A few new samples are lives which solve some of the pain:

https://github.com/xamarin/mac-samples/tree/classic-api/NSOutlineViewAndTableView - A sample showing how to use NSOutlineView/NSTableView

https://github.com/xamarin/mac-samples/tree/classic-api/NSCustomView - A sample showing you how to write custom NSViews that have custom drawing code, both draw procs and layer hierarchies.

• chrisBchrisB USMember

I definitely would be very much interested in what's the best way to create multi-language applications. I found some posts but they're all based on iOS and it doesn't seem to work the same way on OSX as it does on iOS.

Should I start a new threat for this reason or are there any good tutorials? Thanks in advance! ; )

@chrisB in many cases, you can replace the mtouch arguments with mmp arguments and be close. However, I'll add it to the list.

If you want to see if community members here have any good existing tutorials/examples, I'd make a new thread.

• EdwardHymanEdwardHyman USMember

I am having difficulty initiating multiple windows on monomac. I can put in buttons, resize, initiate events for an initial window, however when I attempt to put up a second window simultaneously, I cannot access the window, such as resize, without the program hanging.

@EdH You should create another thread and post some code. However, based on your description you should consider using the .Delegate property instead of the c# events. There were a number of bugs related to the c# events and how we exposed them, and many of them in MonoMac haven't been fixed by the community yet.

Chris,

Thank you for your response.  I, indeed, use a delegate.  It is a window server application.  Creating the initial window to communicate with the server is not a problem.  When the server re-contacts the client application, I need to create a new window and that seems to be the difficulty.  I have attempted different techniques.  In one technique, I create two windows initially, then in my callback code, I have a delegate which the window controller for my second window subscribes to.  The delegate appears to work, however the code does not allow me to access nor manipulate the second window.  I have also attempted to create my second window through code from my callback function and the code just hangs.  

@EdH You should create another thread and attach some example code. We're not going to be able to help very well with just a high level description. Also, you should try out Xamarin.Mac, as we've fixed a number of issues, and this might already be fixed there.

Chris, Thank-you for your comments. I found that I could get a start on my code, transferring a C# MS Windows application onto a Mac, by using Monomac (unsupported). What would be the equivalent framework for Xamarin Studio? When I specify a new project in Xamarin under C#, the choices are Android, Asp.Net, IOS, Mobile Apps and NUnit. Do I need to purchase a licensing fee?

@EdH please make a new thread instead of posting on this documentation thread unless it is a request for additional documentation. To answer your question, from the FAQ:

Q: I've installed using the "Universal Installer" but I do not see Xamarin.Mac templates in Xamarin Studio. What is wrong?

A: The universal installer currently does not contain a Xamarin.Mac component. You need to download the package via https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads (click OS X dropdown under Xamarin.Mac or use this link for now: http://download.xamarin.com/XamarinforMac/Mac/xamarin.mac-1.10.0.18.pkg)

• EmanueleSabettaEmanueleSabetta ITBeta ✭✭✭

Does Xamarin.Mac supports Xamarin.Forms?

Everyone:

Please stop spamming this thread. File here only for documentation requests. I will start deleting new posts if it becomes necessary. I will not answer non documentation questions here.

• EshanSinghEshanSingh USMember
    edited July 2015

Please, please, please, can you put a separate documentation for Core Animation for Mac? Sure, there are samples and stuff, but it's really hard to understand from them for a Windows .NET to Mac .NET developer like myself. Even though it is similar to the Xamarin.iOS Core Animation, it deserves its own full-fledged guide, especially since Mac apps may require different kinds of animation.

• KMullinsKMullins USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi @EshanSingh,

I can definitely add Core Animation to our roadmap of Xamarin.Mac documentation. However, unless more users request it, it's not going to be a high priority doc (since there are other, more pressing topics that need to be covered first).

That said, you might want to look at the animation docs that we have for Xamarin.iOS, as concepts and method calls are very similar. Specifically look at our existing iOS Core Animations docs.

Thanks,

Kevin

Yes, I looked at them, and that's the entire reason I made that suggestion. I know you have to give priority to things, and I do appreciate that, but I also want the Core stuff to be on the lineup, at the very least. So far, reading about CTM and all have just confused me even more and the APIs aren't really helping :( Xamarin, you may be a great platform, but MAN is the entry level high.

@EshanSingh There definitely is a learning curve with Xamarin.Mac, but almost all of that is due to the need to learn the underlying Cocoa/Apple APIs. We're just exposing the underlying API in a C# friendly manor.

The learning curve would be at least twice as bad if you had to learn it AND objective-c at the same time. :)

Oh, actually, sorry, you're right. Sorry for being a little rude. I looked at some of the Objective-C APIs and conferences of Objective-C Mac development, and that's clearing things up a bit. My apologies.