Problem updating to Xamarin Studio v5.9.4

populvuhpopulvuh AUUniversity ✭✭

I'm having trouble updating to the latest version of Xamarin Studio (v5.9.4) - for Android on Windows. I originally clicked the auto update, however that failed, and it said that I would have to install manually. This I have tried to do, however, I keep getting an error on Xamarin.VisualStudio_3.11.666.msi

Installing PCL Profiles
Exception thrown by custom action:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 
'C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETPortable\v4.0\Profile\Profile102\SupportedFrameworks\Xamarin.Android.xml'.

This error is correct; the SupportedFrameworks directory doesn't exist. However I haven't been able to find any hint as to how get that directory (and file) onto my system, or why it isn't there already. Does anyone know how to fix this problem ?

Best Answer

Answers

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

Mmm, I would have expected the installer to gracefully handle the directory not being available. At least I believe it used to do that.

There are some instructions on how to get the Portable Class Libraries installed on Windows.

• populvuhpopulvuh AUUniversity ✭✭

Many thanks for that, but unfortunately it hasn't solved the real problem which is that I still can't load android projects (I had thought if I can get the VisualStudio installer to work, it would sort itself out). I re-installed Visual Studio (as per the instructions), and then also did step 2 (Install the Portable Library Tools and the Portable Library Reference Assemblies 4.6.), but when I load a project, the android project is still greyed out, and a popup appears with "This project requires Xamarin.Android to be installed" when I move the cursor over it.

The Android.Tools log reads

[2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: sdk: Looking for Android SDK..
    [2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: sdk: Key HKCU\SOFTWARE\Novell\Mono for Android\AndroidSdkDirectory found:
    Path contains adb.exe in \platform-tools (C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk).
    [2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: sdk: Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Novell\Mono for Android\AndroidSdkDirectory not found.
    [2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: sdk: Key HKCU\SOFTWARE\Xamarin\MonoAndroid\PrivateAndroidSdkPath not found.
    [2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: sdk: Key HKCU\SOFTWARE\Android SDK Tools\Path not found.
    [2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: sdk: Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Android SDK Tools\Path found:
    Path contains adb.exe in \platform-tools (C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk).
    [2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: sdk: Looking for Android NDK..
    [2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: sdk: Key HKCU\SOFTWARE\Novell\Mono for Android\AndroidNdkDirectory found:
    Path contains ndk-stack.exe in . (C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-ndk-r10e).
    [2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: sdk: Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Novell\Mono for Android\AndroidNdkDirectory not found.
    [2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: sdk: Key HKCU\SOFTWARE\Novell\Mono for Android\JavaSdkDirectory found:
    Path contains jarsigner.exe in \bin (C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_39).
    [2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: Did not find Xamarin.Android
    [2015-07-06 09:19:03.7] INFO: Found Android SDK. API levels: (none)

I've also attached the Ide log, if that's any use.

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

Xamarin Studio is not finding Xamarin.Android so Android projects will not be supported. Not sure why the installer is not installing it. I would try going into Control Panel and repairing the Xamarin install.

Thanks for that (altho it didn't help). I had done that several times already without any success. I eventually solved it by just copying in an existing SupportedFrameworks directory into Profile102. It got past that directory, but then crashed on Profile225. I copied in the same directory into that profile, and it then crashed on 255. This went on for a while, but it eventually stopped crashing, and got thru the install. It now seems to work (it loads, compiles and runs my android projects) altho I have no idea of the consequences of that copying. Hopefully it will b OK.

It was the following profiles that were missing the SupportedFramewords directories; 102, 225, 255, 328, 336, 344, 92, altho all had the RedistList directory, and numerous xml files and dlls.