Xamarin Why?

Chip.7195Chip.7195 USMember

Why should a user select Xamarin?

It's supposedly cross-platform. But you can't fully evaluate the cross-platform capability without a Business License (for 2+ platforms). In simple terms, you evaluate one platform or the other... but not both together. Doesn't seem very cross-platform...

I've begged this question before. But, after few comments, and more than a few moments to contemplate this... no subsequent or good answers to truly evaluating Xamarin's solutions as advertised, without first purchasing a (full) license.

I fully respect the need of a business to support itself. I also have a great deal of respect for a business based off of and being the originator / supporter of an open-source cross-platform product (Mono)... but, there's ZERO VALUE in paying for a supposed cross-platform solution if it can't be evaluated. (RHL --> RHEL is but a (singular) great example of where an open-source platform went commercial with success.... but only one.)

Given the buggy nature of Xamarin Studio... why would anyone pay for it?

You don't even have options to specify your NDK location, always having to install extra... (if not being informed of lacking requirements)... Xamarin Studio is simply a buggy space-eater which looks and acts good until a bad build (or a few). On Windows, you're luck not to get a C++ Runtime error after a couple of builds...

Why should users pay to support this kind of platform (though contributing back through automatic bug reports and ongoing crashes)?

How and/or what, exactly, is Xamarin's business model? Good Luck? Pay first and we'll get to you later?

If DeIcaza were involved in day-to-day operations, rather than in name, developing against Xamarin solutions, and trying to improve the stack he initially contributed to as Mono... he'd probably be screaming at people about stability issues (Why the hell is this crashing -- this is f*ing basic!)

Then again... years ago, Mono had major issues building against Gentoo and package requirements, and, more recently... 635Mb of requirements to install on a base Debian install... painfull (not a core library / programming package).

... this is all versus Microsoft having open-sourced a great deal of the the core .NET framework (corefx)... why would anyone buy or build a Xamarin solution, especially if it's not stable / mature (and excuses are made after-the-fact)?

(Note, I tried to formulate this thought twice before, but, Xamarin's forums don't have a quick & easy "preview" feature to edit / compose / check... other basics forgone... because... as one VP says "we're a young company." -- So please excuse my quick / cursory / thoughts dismissing Xamarin as easily as it's VP's make excuses for it's lacking quality...)

Answers

• JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Im pretty sure you can get the business licence on 30 day trial, and they seem happy to extend that if you need more time to evaluate.

• Pavan.8639Pavan.8639 USMember

Hi John ,

My Trail version license getting expired today.

Is it possible to extend ?

• JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't work for Xamarin, contact them at [email protected] and they might be able to help you.

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod

@Chip.7195 Xamarin.Studio is actually not paid for. It is free, it is just MonoDevelop with some plugins for Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS development.

http://www.monodevelop.com/download/

As for getting a trial license to work on both platforms, I have no idea how that works today. However, I suspect Xamarin Support will gladly help you getting started on all supported platforms with the same trial license.

Both Xamarin.Studio and Visual Studio will let you change the SDK, JDK and NDK paths:

Imgur
    Imgur

On Windows, you're luck not to get a C++ Runtime error after a couple of builds...

That is new to me, I don't experience any of those. Then again I use Visual Studio primarily (you should be able to do so as well with a Trial?)

... this is all versus Microsoft having open-sourced a great deal of the the core .NET framework (corefx)... why would anyone buy or build a Xamarin solution, especially if it's not stable / mature (and excuses are made after-the-fact)

Just be happy that you didn't try any Xamarin products 4 years ago... Stability is improving constantly and Xamarin is pretty open about issues in their products.

Why you would pay for Xamarin? Is there any alternative, that lets you build native apps with native performance and with the ability to share 70%+ of your code across different platforms?

Cordova, Rhodes and the likes just don't cut it me at least. There are of course Fuse tools, but they are super secretive about their stuff and their tools and documentation suck. I don't see a better alternative.

• I haven't had issues with XS, not sure why you need business lic. to do xplat.