Xamarin Studio failed connection from Windows since XCode 4.6.2 Upgrade (Even after Xamarin 4.0.4)

Hey All

Since I installed updated to XCode yesterday I have been unable to connect to my MAC from visual studio. I updated Xamarin on my Mac to v4.0.4 but I still have the same issue.

When I run the Diagnose process on the connection in Visual Studio I get an error saying "Returned port invalid". Please see the screen shot attached for the error.

When trying to use Telnet to connect to the MAC I also receive errors and the mtbserver.log has the following error:

[17-Apr-2013 17:26:40] Error: Error loading Xcode information for prefix '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer'
[17-Apr-2013 17:26:40] Exception: Exception type: System.FormatException
Input string was not in the correct format
   at System.Int32.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MonoTouch.Tools.Frameworks.AppleSdkSettings.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[17-Apr-2013 17:26:40] Exception: Exception type: System.ApplicationException
Apple SDK developer root not specified.
  at MonoTouch.Tools.Frameworks.MonoTouchFrameworks.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Mtb.Application.MainClass.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Mtb.Application.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[17-Apr-2013 17:26:40] Error: Unknown error occurred."

I have seen similar threads with the same issue (http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/1723/failed-to-synchronize-xamarin-ios-sdk-from-the-server). This indicated that I should check for path

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/Documentation/

and if its empty create a symbolic link. I did this but it had no effect.

Some of my co-workers are also experiencing the same issue and the only solution we got so far was reverting to the previous version of XCode.

Can you please suggest possible solutions to the issue?

Answers

• Hi,

I got the same problem. But my next problem is, since I use only a free Mac account at the moment, the "newest" "old" version of Xcode I see in the developerdownloads on the apple hp, is Xcode 3.2. So I hope there will be an update for Xamarin Studio soon.

• ChrisKoiakChrisKoiak GBDeveloper Group Leader ✭✭

I'm experiencing the same issue.

I've just installed Xamarin on my mac and windows VM (via Fusion). My mac updated itself to Xamarin 4.0.4 but Windows is saying 4.0.3 is the latest version.

If there isn't a fix, how can I downgrade my mac xcode so that it will at least connect?

• TanSilliksaarTanSilliksaar USMember

Oh, no, not again! Connection problems with Xcode happen every other day. Usually I have to restart everything to make it work, but this time it serious and nothing seems to help.

• HeinPieterseHeinPieterse USMember

Chris

You can download an older version of XCode from the apple developer site (https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action).

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

This should be fixed in Xamarin Studio 4.0.4 which was released late last week.

• bb34xxxbb34xxx USMember

We are still seeing this with Xamarin Studio 4.0.6, and it is a show-stopper for a proper evaluation of the product.

Diagnostic view (Xamarin.iOS Build Host Diagnosis window) shows a failed indication for "Checking for a valid control connection to the server."

Each retry results in the following log snippet on the OSX host (~/Library/Logs/Xamarin/MonoTouchVS/mtbserver.log).

[15-May-2013 11:25:44] Exception: Exception type: System.FormatException
    Input string was not in the correct format
    at System.Int32.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in :0
    at MonoTouch.Tools.Frameworks.AppleSdkSettings.Init () [0x00000] in :0
    [15-May-2013 11:25:44] Exception: Exception type: System.ApplicationException
    Apple SDK developer root not specified.
    at MonoTouch.Tools.Frameworks.MonoTouchFrameworks.Init () [0x00000] in :0
    at Mtb.Application.MainClass.Init () [0x00000] in :0
    at Mtb.Application.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in :0
    [15-May-2013 11:25:44] Error: Unknown error occurred.

Is this a regression, or another issue?
    Many thanks!

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited May 2013

@bb34xxx: I don't think your issue is with Xamarin Studio at all, but rather the Visual Studio add-in or perhaps the Xamarin.iOS build server running on the Mac.

You might have better luck asking on the iOS forum because I don't think anyone on this forum knows how that code works.