Cross-Platform with C/C++

FelipePetroskiSuchFelipePetroskiSuch USMember ✭✭

I've been using Xamarin for a year now, but my company now requires us to develop a Library that can be used by other apps, which are most likely not using Xamarin. What would be the easiest way of doing this?
I figured using C and C++ is the best solution since we need to run it literally everywhere. But I still haven't figured out how to setup everything.
Have any of you tried to do this?
What I have in mind is either use makefiles or have a platform specific project for each one of the platforms I need to compile. Makefiles are easier once you get started, but I'm having a hard time getting information on how to make one for Android and iOS.

Best Answer

Answers

• FelipePetroskiSuchFelipePetroskiSuch USMember ✭✭

I have looked into using Visual Studio 2015 new C++ stuff but didn't know if anyone was actually using it already so thank you for the post. When I tried to use it I wasn't able to install the vcremote on my Mac, it always gives me Build errors. Have you had any luck with that?

• FelipePetroskiSuchFelipePetroskiSuch USMember ✭✭

I was able to run a C sample in Android so I already have that one setup. What I am considering doing is to just make an XCode project to compile the library directly instead of using VS as the middleman, but I'm not so sure about how easy would it be to export the files or maintain 2 projects.
    I'll take a look into SWIG, it generates the interface files on the high-level language I want correct? That is probably a good way of having the lib available to our customers.