Forum Visual Studio

Support for Async/Await .NET4.5?

anth0nyanth0ny CAMember

Hi, I've just started using MonoDevelop/Xamarin Studio as of yesterday.
I'm unable to use Async/await (the keywords are highlighted, but result in compilation errors), and the standard .NET4.5 libraries don't exist (i.e. there's no HttpClient in System.Net, or at all!)

I've tried all of the Stable, Beta, and Alpha channels (versions 4.0.3 and 4.0.5)

I'm evaluating Mono+GTK# as a cross-platform .NET solution for a new project I am starting, but if it's limited to a subset of the language & libraries, it's not very portable.

Best Answers

Answers

• wallymwallym USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭

Async/await are in the alpha channel. I'm running on my mac. You have to make sure that everything downloads and installs.

• anth0nyanth0ny CAMember

I'm running on Windows, on Alpha channel. is it possible it's supported everywhere but there?

It mentions targeting the "wrong" framework, but since I don't see an option to target any other framework but .NET (Default), I'm assuming it's targeting the latest one (4.5)?

I found the target drop-down under project properties (instead IDE options), but again, even though I have 4.5 installed the only options available are 4.0 and below.

Another problem is I don't see a way to target x64 arch (not that that has anything to do with async/await or 4.5), there is only an option for x86.

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Do you see the .NET 4.5 framework in Project Options if you update to Xamarin Studio 4.0.5?

Alpha has me on 4.0.3
    if I switch to Beta to get 4.0.5, it gets a bit closer: I now have 2 entries for Mono/.Net 4.0s (neither allow for 4.5 specs).

yes

edited May 2013

After installing VS2012 (2010 can't target 4.5), XS now shows 4.5 as a target.
    I see now it's likely my fault since while I had the 4.5 runtime installed, I did not have the 4.5 SDK until after I installed VS2012.

Everything works as it should now, sorry for the bother.