Xamarin Studio windows- debugger issues?

DanManningDanManning USMember ✭✭

Hi all...
I'm having serious issues using Xamarin Studios on Windows and trying to debug. Whenever it hits a breakpoint and I try to step through code, it crashes when trying to step into a property of a class. Also the text editor doesnt follow the debugger, I have to click in the "call stack" window to go to the current line of code.

anyone else seen this? I'm on Xamain Studio v4.0.3, win7 64
if yall need to see a crash report or something, let me know where to find it and I'll attach.
Cheers!

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai
    edited May 2013

What type of project are you debugging? If it's not an Android project, then likely Xamarin Studio is trying to use the Microsoft .NET debugger back-end which is known to be broken.

We should probably just remove that debugger back-end.

To get a working debugger, install Mono and then, in the Project menu, select the Mono runtime so that Xamarin Studio uses the Mono debugger which is much better.

• DanManningDanManning USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2013

Thanks for taking a look! Yes, this is a windows MonoGame project, and it was trying to use the Micorsoft .Net runtime. I installed the latest Mono runtime, but now the project won't even start. OpenTK throws a "System.DllNotFoundException: libX11" at startup :(

System.DllNotFoundException: libX11 at at (wrapper managed-to-native) OpenTK.Platform.X11.Functions:XInitThreads () at OpenTK.Platform.X11.API..cctor () [0x00000] in :0

Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Sounds like you somehow installed the Linux version of OpenTK? Or perhaps you didn't copy over the *.dll.config files? (those config files re-map DllImport libraries).

Thanks! I have the Windows version, and OpenTK.dll.config only contains entries for linux and OSX.

I found some documentation on the OpenTK forum, apparently it dives into libx11 on initialization:
    http://www.opentk.com/node/2078

"Visual Studio by default uses "Just my code" debugging, which does not break on exceptions thrown and caught in 3rd-party dlls. Make sure you have that option enabled or, if you need to keep it disabled, add those exceptions to your exception ignore list."

Is there a similar "Just my code" option or "exception ignore list" in Xamarin Studio?

Thanks again!

ok, think I figured it out... it was trying to run with the Mono Soft Debugger, which was causing problems.

Just downloaded Xamarin Studio 4.0.5 and the debugger is much, much better. I've been using it all morning and none of my issues have reoccurred :)

Cheers!

Awesome!