Inspect file system on a real device while debugging

Hello,

I am writing some code that will write and read in the app's dedicated folder (Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments).
The problem is that I cannot find a way to inspect this folder manually, i.e. open in some sort of browser, either on the phone I am using for debugging or from Windows .
Is there a tool that will let me do it, short of rooting the device?

Thanks,
[email protected]

• SebastianSeidel.9226SebastianSeidel.9226 DEInsider, University ✭✭✭✭

A simple yet fast solution is to use an app like ES File Explorer. If you are on Windows you will only see created folders after you restarted the device. This is a very old bug within Android.

If you are searching here in the forum, you will find an answer from me to a thread, dedicated to that topic, with more details.

• donescamillodonescamillo AFMember ✭✭

Thank you for your reply,

I will search the forum for your post. I am currently using a rooted device since it is an inexpensive solution, but did not think Android will be even more restrictive than iOS in this regard

• rgreenrgreen CAMember
    edited June 2015

I am finding it difficult to get a clear answer on accessing files , created in an Android app, with Windows file explorer.
    iOS works fine with iTunes access.
    WriteExternalStorage is checked in the AndroidManifest

All I see from Windows file explorer is an empty directory at both:
    Computer\MyPC\Phone\Android\data\MyApp.Droid\files
    and
    Computer\MyPC\Phone\Android\data\data

What do I need to do in the code below to access ApplicationLayout.xml from a PC.

App.documentsPath = System.Environment.GetFolderPath (System.Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments);
    path = Path.Combine(App.documentsPath, "ApplicationLayout.xml");
    if (!File.Exists (path)) {
        var s = Resources.OpenRawResource(Xamarin.BacDoor.ez.Droid.Resource.Raw.ApplicationLayout); 
        // create a write stream
        FileStream writeStream = new FileStream(path, FileMode.OpenOrCreate, FileAccess.Write);
        // write to the stream
        ReadWriteStream(s, writeStream);
    }

System.Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments above becomes "/data/data/MyApp.Droid/files" and data/data needs a rooted device to access it.