Beta service release: XamarinVS 3.11.584, bug fixes for 3.11.445

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited June 2015 in Visual Studio

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this service release onto the new Stable release thread:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/42670/stable-service-release-xamarinvs-3-11-586-bug-fixes-for-3-11-445/p1

For anyone who has been commenting on this thread, feel free to continue the conversation in that new thread.

Released versions:

Windows

Mac

Reason for release: Bug fixes for the 3.11.445 Stable Channel release on April 29.

Release notes: http://developer.xamarin.com/releases/vs/xamarin.vs_3/xamarin.vs_3.11/#v.3.11.576_Beta

Date published:

NOTE: Beta versions have not yet completed the full suite of tests by the Xamarin QA team. That said, customer reports of any regressions (or bugs that are incorrectly marked fixed) are still much appreciated, even if the problem would have eventually been caught during the full QA testing process.

Previous versions, downgrading

You can downgrade back to the current Stable version by switching updater channels.

You can downgrade back to the previous Stable versions (from before April 29) by manually reinstalling each old package (see also the article about downgrading). The links to the previous Stable versions are:

Windows

Mac

Guidelines for this thread

1. This first post will be updated regularly.

2. Hopefully this thread will help answer "what might break if I update to this release?"

3. If you find a new problem that is specific to this version, please file a bug report (if this link redirects to the top-level https://kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more).

4. Please discuss older bugs that are unchanged in this release compared to the previous Stable version in Bugzilla instead.

5. Of course for questions and discussions about topics other than bugs, feel free start new forum threads.

Fixes for common old known issues from previous releases

Remaining known issues from the April 29 Stable Channel release, with more common or severe issues near the top

(The fixes for most of these remaining issues are scheduled to be released in the next service release. The first Alpha versions of that release will be published shortly after this current Beta is promoted to Stable.)

• Bug 28961 - [iOS] "error MT3001: Could not AOT the assembly", "error: invalid symbol redefinition". (This can also appear as "System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex > this.length" in the "Output -> Xamarin Log" in VS.) One common cause of this error is the use of [MethodImplAttribute(MethodImplOptions.Synchronized)]. Workaround for projects that use [MethodImplAttribute(MethodImplOptions.Synchronized)]: remove [MethodImplAttribute(MethodImplOptions.Synchronized)] and manually synchronize the methods using lock statements instead (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=28961#c6).

• Non-public Bug 28995 - [Android] On certain devices, certain apps crash frequently due to "System.ExecutionEngineException: SIGILL".

• Bug 30318 - [Android] Windows only: Breakpoints in PCL projects do not work after cleaning solution, redeploying, and restarting debugging. Partial workaround: delete all the bin folders in the solution after cleaning.

• Bug 30371 - [Visual Studio] [Android] Project Properties display incorrect default values for "BundleAssemblies" and "EmbedAssembliesIntoApk" if they are not explicitly specified. This means that these properties can "automatically" change to incorrect values when you update other properties under "Project Properties -> Android Options". The incorrect values can cause secondary symptoms like Bug 30334 where breakpoints are not hit in the Debug configuration.

• Non-public Bug 30057 - [Android] Windows only: the debugger will not be able resolve breakpoints unless "Shared Runtime" is ON and the Linker is OFF (under "Project Properties -> Android Options" in Visual Studio or "Project Options -> Android Build" in Xamarin Studio).

• Non-public Bug 30059 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] "Mono.Debugger.Soft.CommandException: Debuggee returned error code 200." when hitting breakpoints in PCLs in certain projects when running XamarinVS on certain computers.

• Bug 29326 - [Android] String resources defined in NuGet packages overwrite string resources defined in app project, causing the displayed app name to be incorrect for example. Workaround: avoid using the same string key that is used in the NuGet packages.

• Bug 29211 - [iOS] Enabling the linker when the solution includes a PCL that uses System.IO.Compression causes "Could not load file or assembly 'System.IO.Compression' or one of its dependencies" at run time. The same problem can also happen with System.Threading.Tasks (and probably also several other assemblies). Workaround: add -linkskip=System.IO.Compression (or -linkskip=System.Threading.Tasks for System.Threading.Tasks) under "project options -> iOS Build -> Additional mtouch arguments".

• Bug 30548 - [Android] Under certain conditions new threads take several seconds to start. This problem seems to be triggered by Xamarin.Insights 1.10. Partial workarounds: downgrade Xamarin.Insights to version 1.9, or remove it entirely.

• Bug 30420 - [iOS] DequeueReusableCell(cellIdentifier) returns null if this.TableView is called in the TableView constructor. Workaround: perform all initialization operations for the TableView in the ViewDidLoad() or ViewWillAppear() methods rather than the constructor.

• Bug 29745 - [iOS] Error due to duplicate symbols during native compilation for device: "duplicate symbol _monoeg_g_array_new" (and many similar messages). Workarounds: disable profiling under "Project Properties -> iOS Build", or if your app uses the -all_load linker flag (via either gcc_flags or LinkerFlags) try removing it.

• Non-public Bug 29538 - [Android] Profiling via the graphical Xamarin Profiler ("Run -> Start Profiling") causes the app to crash at startup.

• Bug 29849 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] The "Visual C# -> Mobile Apps -> Blank App (Xamarin.Forms Portable)" template includes an iOS project that has a non-empty value for the <CodesignEntitlements> property for the iPhoneSimulator configurations, meaning that the iPhoneSimulator configuration will attempt to perform code signing. This is inconsistent with the other templates and also with the corresponding Xamarin Studio template on Mac. Workaround: open the .csproj file in a text editor and delete the <CodesignEntitlements> property from all of the iPhoneSimulator configurations.

• Bug 29731 - [Android] Android.Bluetooth.BluetoothAdapter.Enable is incorrectly marked as [Obsolete("deprecated")] for API level 20 and higher.

Remaining known issues from before the April 29 Stable Channel release

(For issues that might behave differently for some customers after updating to this new Beta release, or that might be difficult to find via Bugzilla.)

• Bug 28027 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] The debugger sometimes fails to connect properly after the app launches. This means breakpoints will not be hit during that launch of the app and the "Output -> Debug" window will be blank. Repeating the steps of (a) stopping the debugger and (b) relaunching the app will eventually lead to a successful connection. This problem has existed since at least XamarinVS 3.9.483, but some recent reports suggest that it has become more common for certain users in this latest release. To make a reasonable guess, the problem might be caused by a race condition. Based on that guess, this new version might have changed some timings and increased the probability of hitting the issue on a wider range of system configurations. The bug is under active investigation.

• Bug 29897 - [XamarinVS] [iOS] Breakpoints sometimes don't work when debugging on iOS device. Based on the observed behavior of this problem, it appears to have the same underlying cause as Bug 28027.

New known issues compared to 3.11.445

• Bug 30241 - Now fixed in the latest Beta and Alpha builds. [iOS] "Failed to move 'obj/iPhone/Release/ipa/Payload/UnifiedSingleViewIphone1.app/iTunesMetadata.plist' to 'obj/iPhone/Release/ipa/iTunesMetadata.plist': Win32 IO returned ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS. Path:" when building app again without cleaning. (Old workaround: clean the iOS application project and build again, or delete just the destination obj/iPhone/Release/ipa/iTunesMetadata.plist file and build again.)

EDIT May 19: Initial post for Beta releases.
EDIT May 19: Small improvement in XamarinVS Bug 28027: the stop debugging button will no longer pause VS for 2 minutes.
EDIT May 19: Increase severity ranking of Android Bug 28995 based on additional customer reports.
EDIT May 21: Add Mono Bug 30171, Android Bug 30057, iOS Bug 30059.
EDIT May 21: Add Android Bug 30318, Xamarin Studio Bug 30072.
EDIT May 27: Add XVS.Android Bug 30371.
EDIT May 27: Update bugs fixed by latest Beta versions. (30171, 30241)
EDIT May 28: Add Android Bug 30548, iOS Bug 30420.

• MartinRothschinkMartinRothschink DEMember ✭✭

Updated from Alpha .570.
    Breakpoints are no longer hit under Android. Is this a known issue?

• TrevorChadwick.8191TrevorChadwick.8191 USMember ✭✭

@MartinRothschink If your running into breakpoints not being hit issues, one thing that helped me was to Delete the .vs folder, .sln.ide folder, manually clear out the bin and obj folders for each project and delete all the .user files. Hope this helps someone.

• jonathanyatesjonathanyates GBMember ✭✭✭

So we are expected to move to the Alpha channel to fix Visual Studio freezing when debugging. But then breakpoints don't get hit. Great! How do you propose we debug our apps?

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited May 2015

As stated in the first post in the thread:

NOTE: Beta versions have not yet completed the full suite of tests by the Xamarin QA team. That said, customer reports of any regressions (or bugs that are incorrectly marked fixed) are still much appreciated, even if the problem would have eventually been caught during the full QA testing process.

Updating to Beta is not intended as a guaranteed fix for issues seen in Stable. It is not possible to guarantee that all behaviors in the Beta version are correct because (by definition) the build is released for preview usage before it has been fully QA'd. Updating to Beta is offered as a candidate fix that we would hope helps with most issues. Reports that breakpoints no longer work on the Beta channel are helpful, and we will investigate them. (The investigation for the Android breakpoint is now currently underway.)

Anecdotally, I think it might be the case that many customers dislike downgrading. Unfortunately, when there are bad regressions in the Stable release (see http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/121989/#Comment_121989 for the extent of my personal knowledge about how that problem will be addressed moving forward), downgrading is the surest way to get back to developing.

• TrevorChadwick.8191TrevorChadwick.8191 USMember ✭✭

This appears to have been an issue through the last couple of alpha releases, but in Android I get an error for the SearchBar Component in a XAML page:

Which produces the following error:
    System.MissingMethodException: Method 'SearchView.get_InputType' not found.
    Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.VisualElementRenderer1<Xamarin.Forms.SearchBar>.SetElement (Xamarin.Forms.SearchBar) <0x007fb> 05-20 14:15:24.669 I/MonoDroid( 567): at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.VisualElementRenderer1<Xamarin.Forms.SearchBar>.Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.IVisualElementRenderer.SetElement (Xamarin.Forms.VisualElement) <0x0012b>
    05-20 14:15:24.669 I/MonoDroid( 567): at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.RendererFactory.GetRenderer (Xamarin.Forms.VisualElement)

Can anyone confirm before I submit a bug report?

• RickardRobinRickardRobin USMember

This release fixed at least two things that weren't working on the last official release:

• TPL in Xamarin.iOS can be used again (verified)
    • UI Events such as Table's row_select started working where it didn't earlier.

I also experience a slightly faster debug & build time when debugging on my iPhone.
    Great work, Xamarin team!

• JohnHairJohnHair GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski first of all, I want to thank you for your openness, support and approach to resolving the regression issues. It is with quality support like this from you and your team that can make the pain we have been suffering almost bearable.
    But I have to say, I have been burnt so many times by Xamarin releases that I will never touch the alpha or beta channels, and I do not automatically upgrade to Stable for at least a week until I see how well it has gone down. That is the only reason why I haven't been shouting along with the other developers on this.
    I think it is unreasonable to expect paying customers to go through the (potential) pain of the beta and alpha releases, Xamarin must improve the QA team and the April 'stable' was an epic fail for them. If you want paying customers to test, then my suggestion would be to offer an incentive. How about Indie subscribers can get a free upgrade to Business if they regularly use the beta or alpha channels (and that can easily be monitored). There are many, many Indie developers complaining about the cost of upgrade, they may very well be interested in this approach.

Just my 2p.
    John

• PhilipGruebelePhilipGruebele USMember ✭✭

I can confirm that deleting the bin and obj folders fixes the issue of breakpoints not being hit. Doing this when updating Xarmarin VS should probably be part of the installation steps, and this is reasonable since the build tools are changing...

• Xamarin-IanXamarin-Ian USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Philip and other posters,

We are continuing to prioritize fixes around the Visual Studio debugging experience for both iOS and Android.

I do have a request, for customers that are experiencing issues with hitting breakpoints:

For Android projects:
    Verify that you do NOT have "Bundle assemblies into native code" enabled in your project settings. See the screenshot here for the specific project setting that should be disabled: http://screencast.com/t/jqW1YxzxxaF

For iOS projects
    Verify that the solution configuration is set to build the dependent projects. See the screenshot here for ensuring that the dependent projects are in fact building in the configuration specified: http://screencast.com/t/N0YfkYTL

Possible Workaround
    We have seen several customers have success in hitting breakpoints by ensuring that they delete the .mdb (mono debugging symbols) from the .bin and .obj folders. We are working on ensuring that cleaning the solution/projects cleans these .mdb files automatically.

Again, if anyone is running into additional debugger issues I'm very interested in learning about your specific issue and following up to ensure we have the necessary fixes in place as quickly as possible. Please send me a message here on the forums and I'll be in touch.

• RaphaelSchindlerRaphaelSchindler USMember ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

A quick regression error. After updating to the current Beta, I have the bug again where VS hangs after deleting a resource object in the platform projects. I then have to delete it manually from the .csproj file.
    And VS sometimes restarts after starting a debug session on android devices.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod
    edited May 2015

@Xamarin-Ian

Unchecking "Bundle assemblies into native code" does indeed allow triggering of PCL breakpoints in Alpha build 3.11.576.0 I'm using. I just stumbled on this thread.

edited May 2015

Updated to the latest beta release and now I'm getting this error again, when I try to deploy my App on iPhoneSimulator:

Loaded assembly: /Users/raphaelschindler/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/4142236C-12FE-4947-8732-C8AF8C71265F/data/Containers/Bundle/Application/BFCC4575-31DC-4F80-BD08-ADC5DE89BBEE/mCRMiOS.app/mCRMWebService.dll
    An unhandled exception occured.
    2015-05-28 09:01:55.092 mCRMiOS[1054:12655] Unhandled managed exception:
    Could not load file or assembly 'System.Threading.Tasks' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (System.IO.FileNotFoundException)
      at System.AppDomain.Load (System.Reflection.AssemblyName assemblyRef, System.Security.Policy.Evidence assemblySecurity) [0x00081] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1503/e6ebd18b/source/mono/mcs/class/corlib/System/AppDomain.cs:706 
      at System.AppDomain.Load (System.Reflection.AssemblyName assemblyRef) [0x00000] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1503/e6ebd18b/source/mono/mcs/class/corlib/System/AppDomain.cs:674 
      at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load (System.Reflection.AssemblyName assemblyRef) [0x00000] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1503/e6ebd18b/source/mono/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/Assembly.cs:551 
      at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.CollectReferencedAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 assemblies, System.Reflection.Assembly assembly) [0x00019] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1503/e
    6ebd18b/source/maccore/src/ObjCRuntime/Runtime.cs:218 
      at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.CollectReferencedAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 assemblies, System.Reflection.Assembly assembly) [0x0002c] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1503/e6ebd18b/source/maccore/src/ObjCRuntime/Runtime.cs:220 
      at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.CollectReferencedAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 assemblies, System.Reflection.Assembly assembly) [0x0002c] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1503/e6ebd18b/source/maccore/src/ObjCRuntime/Runtime.cs:220 
      at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.RegisterEntryAssembly (System.Reflection.Assembly entry_assembly) [0x0001b] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1503/e6ebd18b/source/maccore/src/ObjCRuntime/Runtime.cs:200 
      at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.RegisterEntryAssembly (IntPtr a) [0x00000] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1503/e6ebd18b/source/maccore/src/ObjCRuntime/Runtime.cs:158 
      at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.register_entry_assembly (IntPtr assembly) [0x00000] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1503/e6ebd18b/source/maccore/runtime/Del
    egates.generated.cs:118 
      at (wrapper native-to-managed) ObjCRuntime.Runtime:register_entry_assembly (intptr)

EDIT May 28 by @BrendanZagaeski: Remove native stack trace for compactness.

Latest Alpha means breakpoints no longer trigger at all in PCL's even with the "Bundle assemblies into native code" unchecked.

Happy days. Thanks :neutral:

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Threading.Tasks'

@RaphaelSchindler, that is the following "Remaining known issue" from the first post in the thread:

Bug 29211 - [iOS] Enabling the linker when the solution includes a PCL that uses System.IO.Compression causes "Could not load file or assembly 'System.IO.Compression' or one of its dependencies" at run time. The same problem can also happen with System.Threading.Tasks (and probably also several other assemblies). Workaround: add -linkskip=System.IO.Compression (or -linkskip=System.Threading.Tasks for System.Threading.Tasks) under "project options -> iOS Build -> Additional mtouch arguments".

Updated to beta and breakpoints do now trigger in again but you have to delete the obj and bin files before opening the project. The linker bug was also stripping out System.Net.Http which it never used to do so disabling the linker gives me back simulator debugging in iOS.

breakpoints do now trigger in again but you have to delete the obj and bin

Correct. Unfortunately the initial attempt at fixing Bug 30318 introduced a secondary regression, so that patch had to be backed out of this service release. The real complete fix will be targeted for the next service release. (The current plan is to have Alpha versions of the next service release ready shortly after this current Beta moves to the Stable channel.)

I have the bug again where VS hangs after deleting a resource object in the platform projects

@RaphaelSchindler, to follow up on this comment from May 26th:

1. If you're still seeing this issue in the latest version (3.11.584), are the following steps sufficient to reproduce it on your machine?

1. Create New Android project.
      2. Expand the Resources folder.
      3. Right click on the layout folder and choose "Add -> New Item".
      4. Select "Android Layout" and click the "Add" button.
      5. Delete the new layout from the layout folder.
    2. If step #1 is sufficient to reproduce the problem, the most common cause is an incompatibility with the Android SDK versions. To check that possibility, you can attach back a screenshot of the top of your SDK manager. See for example the "Android SDK Tools" section on the versions and logs KB article. (If the link to the KB article redirects to the top-level kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more.)

3. If step #1 is not sufficient to reproduce the problem, then the most direct way forward would be if you would be able to zip up and attach a minimal test case that demonstrates the problem on a new bug report. See the bug filing KB article for some additional hints and tips about filing a bug report and minimizing the test case. (If the link to the KB article redirects to the top-level kb.xamarin.com/ page the first time you click it, try clicking it once more.) If you do file a bug, feel free to post a link to it back on this thread to make sure it gets tracked as part of the upcoming 3.11 service releases. Thanks!

@BrendanZagaeski I should have made that more clear, sorry. I didn't meant Layouts. I meant images from the drawable folder.
    I created a new Xamarin.Forms.Portable Blank App and tried to add and delete an Image. But the error was not reproducable in that case. I think this error is gone now. But if it shows up again I will try to make this reproducable.

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this service release onto the new Stable release thread:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/42670/stable-service-release-xamarinvs-3-11-586-bug-fixes-for-3-11-445/p1

For anyone who has been commenting on this thread, feel free to continue the conversation in that new thread.

This discussion has been closed.