A possible bug in Bugzilla permissions?

AdamPAdamP AUUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that in Bugzilla on the bugs I have submitted I can change their status to whatever I want, anything from NEW to RESOLVED. I would assume I shouldn't be able to do this and only Xamarin Staff should have those permissions. Is this correct or is there any reason I should be able to change my own bug submission statuses?

• RolfBjarneKvingeRolfBjarneKvinge USXamarin Team Xamurai

Some people file "ops" bugs they figure out the problem is theirs the moment they file a bug, and immediately close the bug ("RESOLVED|INVALID").

It's also needed to change the status when adding information (NEEDINFO -> NEW) for instance.

Generally I don't see this as much of an issue, since you'll only hurt yourself if you change the status to RESOLVED (we won't look at your bug).

• AdamPAdamP AUUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, thanks for your response @RolfBjarneKvinge - I never realized you needed to set your bug back to NEW after more information was added.

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭

@RolfBjarneKvinge is it only Xamarin staff which can set it to CONFIRMED ?

I imagine there's a layer of people from Xamarin who go over the list and try to confirm \ reject an issue.
    It would be unrealistic to think that the actual developers in the Xamarin Forms team watch all the list.

@AndreiNitescu: afaik there are no restrictions on who can set a bug to CONFIRMED, but if someone does something they shouldn't do, we ask them to stop (and usually they stop). This happens rarely, and is a one-time thing, so it's not much of a bother.

Maybe we'll restrict it later if it becomes a problem.

In most cases it's the team itself who monitors bugzilla and responds to reported bugs (but each team is a little different, so there may be differences).

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

@RolfBjarneKvinge thanks.
    Wouldn't make sense to have a dedicated team which actually verifies the submitted issues and changes their status accordingly?
    The actual core developers would only look to the of list of confirmed issues.
    I don't think it's realistic to think that core developers have time to both look to the huge list on bugzilla AND work on implementing and fixing features.
    Once submitted on bugzilla, the status of an issue shouldn't be made possible to change for anyone outside Xamarin team.

@AndreiNitescu: for some bugs it makes sense (one typical example is when Apple releases a new iOS version, and we get a slew of bug reports for breaking changes Apple did), for other bugs it doesn't make that much sense (for instance bugs that are very hard to reproduce, and sometimes we only figure out what's going on when we have multiple similar bug reports from different customers and some bits of information in each, where none are really reproducible by themselves: in that case a filter before the core developers will just hide information we need).